Central Division Race Part II [warning in the OP and #355]

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
The blues are going into the playoffs with everyone healthy or healthy enough to play.

I'm sure they want to take over 1st and play the Jets.

The Wild are a much larger threat.

The blues lose 4 of 7 to the jets.

Then time to gut the older core.

That is just not acceptable.

Underestimate the Jets at your peril. While I agree that we have a few question marks, we're a lot closer to taking you guys out than most Blues fans give us credit for.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
That's speculation. In the past Elliott has come in as back-up and played at a very high level (like leading the league in save percentage level) despite getting only intermittent starts.

He's been playing below his standard down the stretch which is a concern. But after dips in the past he's come back with stretches of strong play (such as his notorious stretch that resulted in an AHL conditioning stint a couple years ago). If he gets called on in the playoffs there is just as much reason to expect him to revert to his usual standard of play, or comparable to his past post-season performances....which is good enough if the Blues are playing their game.

I see nothing in his history to support such a definite conclusion about him coming back mentally fragile.
If Elliott has a strength in his game, its been his ability to be pretty even regardless of the security of his job (since he's been with the Blues).

Didn't he have a bench meltdown over something with hitch less than two months ago?

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
That's what I've been saying, but everybody seems to think it will be no biggie to be flip-flopping goalies. Hitch and the entire Blues organization have shown they don't have confidence in Elliott. That is gonna affect Elliott after being passed over again, this time after being told all season that the #1 job was his.

Yeah. And after the last two games against the Hawks maybe Allen is your best shot and to hell with elliott's feelings. It seems a bit unrealistic to me though to think you can have it both ways. The Ducks are gonna have a similar decision to make with Gibson and andersen.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Underestimate the Jets at your peril. While I agree that we have a few question marks, we're a lot closer to taking you guys out than most Blues fans give us credit for.

No one is saying it's a clean sweep for the Blues but they will be the favorites.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Didn't he have a bench meltdown over something with hitch less than two months ago?

No that was Blown way out of proportion. He was mad because he was pulled after that sick snipe by Bonino but once hitch explained that he figured it was a lost cause and he didn't want Elliott to get hurt he pulled him back out. Then the Blues and tied the game lol....

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas

Nah. Hitch pulled then put back in the starting goalie. I think it was a screwy coaching move. He thought the game was out of hand (3 goal deficit at Vancouver) but the team came back and tied it up. Elliott wasn't happy about being jerked around and vented a little. It was over as an issue 5 minutes after it happened. I'm pretty sure Hitchcock apologized for how he handled it, but the media tried to make it into something.

No doubt Elliott is more upset about losing his starting job, but there is no denying that Allen has been lights out. Not sure why people think that would translate into Elliott playing poorly rather than being even more determined to come in and reclaim his role.

frivolousz21

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS ST LOUIS BLUES
May 17, 2007
St. Louis, Mo

There is just a big talent gap.

Its likely the blues would out chance and out play the Jets in every game.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Getting Tarasenko and Steen back is huge obviously. Rattie played well and Ollie and Porter did ok, but replacing them with Tarasenko and Steen gives the Blues the edge over anybody in the West imo. Especially if Jake keeps like he has. Really hoping Hitch sticks with Schwartz-Stastny-Oshie on the top line. Leaves Steen-Lehtera-Tarasenko on line 2 and Berglund-Backes-Jaskin on the 3rd. Love that top 9

frivolousz21

May 17, 2007
St. Louis, Mo
Getting Tarasenko and Steen back is huge obviously. Rattie played well and Ollie and Porter did ok, but replacing them with Tarasenko and Steen gives the Blues the edge over anybody in the West imo. Especially if Jake keeps like he has. Really hoping Hitch sticks with Schwartz-Stastny-Oshie on the top line. Leaves Steen-Lehtera-Tarasenko on line 2 and Berglund-Backes-Jaskin on the 3rd. Love that top 9

Yeah.

And then there is the best break out pass defense in the NHL as a whole.

Now it all depends if they show up or not

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Yeah.

And then there is the best break out pass defense in the NHL as a whole.

Now it all depends if they show up or not

The Blues played their true "A" about 5-10 times this year. I really think they changed their philosophy by not burning themselves out each and every night and saving themselves for the playoffs. In Hitch's first few years, they literally played playoff hockey every night, then once the playoffs started, other teams turned it up and the Blues fizzled out (plus injures heading into the playoffs). This year, I think they really took in easy this regular season. When the puck drops in rd 1, I think you will see a completely different Blues team than you have seen most nights this year. They will be banging and smotherthing like there's no tomorrow.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Add this to the list of "I can't believe how strong the Central is" posts:

Goal differentials (a zero-sum game within each division so this is inter-divisional) after 81 games for all teams:
Atlantic: -62
Metro: +29
Central: +150
Pacific: -117

Crazy that Chicago can still end up anywhere between 2nd and the first wildcard, potentially crossing over to the Pacific. 3 different potential first-round opponents still.

eternalfaith

Aug 15, 2007
Minny
The Blues played their true "A" about 5-10 times this year. I really think they changed their philosophy by not burning themselves out each and every night and saving themselves for the playoffs. In Hitch's first few years, they literally played playoff hockey every night, then once the playoffs started, other teams turned it up and the Blues fizzled out (plus injures heading into the playoffs). This year, I think they really took in easy this regular season. When the puck drops in rd 1, I think you will see a completely different Blues team than you have seen most nights this year. They will be banging and smotherthing like there's no tomorrow.

And this is why many Wild fan wants the Ducks (some say no but we out played them every game just lost on the scoreboard) or Preds first. We understand we most likely need to face you at some point but we'd prefer you were a little worn down and banged up first.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Allen is a lot mentally tougher than Elliott. If one of them allows a bad goal, Allen bounces back quicker.

frivolousz21

May 17, 2007
St. Louis, Mo
Agree the blues level when going all out is 2nd to none.

They def took it easy this year.

I think the Jets would need epic goaltending to even win a few games.

The Wild can diminish the possession game more.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Agree the blues level when going all out is 2nd to none.

They def took it easy this year.

I think the Jets would need epic goaltending to even win a few games.

The Wild can diminish the possession game more.
Actually Winnipeg possession numbers are than the Wild lately. But I sure do hope the Wild find there possession game soon.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
ANA has the ROW tie break and gets to play AZ.

STL gets Minny and probably Minny again for the first round, that is great news. I think it'll be a good series and nice to get one out right away

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Even when the Hawks lose they win. For the one round they might not have Kane they get to play a team that's been terrible for months.

Standard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->