Central Division Race Part II [warning in the OP and #355]

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
Can't wait for playoffs, even though it's not even sure that the Wild will make 'em. But I believe, and I know it will be amazingly intense stuff this year! I truly hope that WPG makes the playoffs too, even if they wouldn't make it past the 1st round, they surely would wear their opponent down a notch or two. Plus those Jets fans are cool.

linusandvarlamov

GO AVS GO !
Apr 2, 2014
Paris, France
Yeah, it's that time of year again : you start getting the jitters and the only thing you're waiting for is the oncoming bloodbath in that western conference :laugh: (1st round is going to be so much fun:hyper:). Personally, I'd like for something unexpected to happen in the western conference this year, not that I have anything against the Hawks or the Kings. But to see a team like Winnipeg reach the conference finals would be quite a spectacle indeed. The fans would be going nuts :D.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
Hawks are plummeting!!

Uhg.

Seriously, regardless of the record the team has looked incredibly mediocre all of 2015 with the wins mostly coming from Crawford and an honorable mention to Kane.

Nov 24, 2006
Yeah, it's that time of year again : you start getting the jitters and the only thing you're waiting for is the oncoming bloodbath in that western conference :laugh: (1st round is going to be so much fun:hyper:). Personally, I'd like for something unexpected to happen in the western conference this year, not that I have anything against the Hawks or the Kings. But to see a team like Winnipeg reach the conference finals would be quite a spectacle indeed. The fans would be going nuts :D.

If the Jets managed to get to the Stanley Cup finals, the entire City would shut down except for certain businesses. All beer, chicken wings, and pizza would be free for everyone, 24/7.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
If the Wild don't advance it isn't because their opponent is better than them, it's because they're not good enough to beat that inferior opponent? is that how it works with the Blues? As Wild fans, we're not as used to playoff humiliation yet . It'll start to get depressing in a year or two and it's best to work on coping strategies and rationalization sooner rather than later IMO.

Stanleyjub

Oct 24, 2009
hockey
Not sure if this has been posted, but in a scenario where the teams are tied in points with even ROW section the same, here how placings would be

Most likely tied teams

NSH over STL ; In season series Nashville with 7 and St.Louis with 4 points.

CHI over MIN ; Season-series already 6-2 for CHI with one game remaining.

Minnesota and Winnipeg currently have points 6-5 for Wild between them with one game left. Winner of the last game would have the tie breaker as if Jets win after regulation but before shootout* and points will be tied, the first Wild home game that the Wild won wont be included.

* Before shootout because Jets have to win all 7 remaining games before it to tie the Wild in ROW-section.

--------------------------------------------

Less likely tied teams

CHI over NSH ; 6-4 season series for Hawks

St.Louis and Chicago currently have points 4-2 for Hawks between them with two games left. For teams to end up tied in season-series also Blues would have to win both games after regulation time. And after that it would be all in vain as the first Blues home that Blues won would not be included.

Nashville and Minnesota currently tied in season series 5-5 between them with one final game left that would decide the tie-breaker.

MIN over STL ; 5-2 season series for Wild with one game remaining.

WPG over CHI ; 7-2 season series for Jets with one game remaining.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
it'd be a shame if the cup winner doesn't come out of the Central somewhere. Central pride!

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
If the Wild don't advance it isn't because their opponent is better than them, it's because they're not good enough to beat that inferior opponent? is that how it works with the Blues? As Wild fans, we're not as used to playoff humiliation yet. It'll start to get depressing in a year or two and it's best to work on coping strategies and rationalization sooner rather than later IMO.

So you're bashing the Blues for them being good enough to have people actually expect them to do something in the playoffs in past seasons rather than being an afterthought as the Wild were in the playoffs the last two years?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
So you're bashing the Blues for them being good enough to have people actually expect them to do something in the playoffs in past seasons rather than being an afterthought as the Wild were in the playoffs the last two years?

Just how were the Wild any more of an afterthought than the Blues?

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny

no one is bashing. I'm just saying we're going to be there pretty soon, in the same position they are: getting in all the time but losing early-ish despite the Wild being clearly inferior.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
Chicago can legitimately say their little fall down the standings to being just a little better than the Wild is due to Kane's injury. But then the Wild can say the only reason we're this far down the standing at this time of the year is because we had crap goaltending for the first half, and all our D had mumps.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
I hope both the Wild and the Jets make it in.

A Jets/Blues matchup would be epic - I would have to watch all those games.

The Jets just remind me of that scrappy kid at school - he's not as big as some of the biggest guys, but he's ****ing mean and smart - he's a shin kicker.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
a Jet's Blues match would have to wear down the victor enough to give their next opponent an edge.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
This thread is eerily void of any Predator discussion. They are still on top of the Division.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Chicago can legitimately say their little fall down the standings to being just a little better than the Wild is due to Kane's injury. But then the Wild can say the only reason we're this far down the standing at this time of the year is because we had crap goaltending for the first half, and all our D had mumps.

Last year the Blues really didn't have much adversity until the last couple weeks of the season, and then it all happened at once. It was comical how many guys were out.

This year:
Wild fans probably forgot this, but the Blues were ravaged by the mumps at the same time as Minnesota. Lots of guys missed games or played sick.

Lost Stastny just after the start of the season to a shoulder injury, which really hurt his ability to acclimate and find a line to gel with.

Lost their starting goaltender to injury for an extended period.

Lost the PP QB and (at the time) possible Norris candidate (as he was the leading scoring D in the league) Shattenkirk to surgery. He should return TONIGHT!

They've managed to avoid having too long of a losing streak, and have never really had the healthy line-up on the ice since the trade deadline. If they become healthy going into the post-season this year, its hard not to feel optimistic as a fan.

I don't really understand the veiled insults from Wild fans earlier in this thread. Blues fans think this team is a legit contender. We've endured the rebuild. We've endured playoff disappointment. We've endured brutal playoff match-ups and watched our team disappoint us. We've watched an all-in trade for a "top goalie" fizzle into nothing.

This year, the feeling is that the Blues really HAVEN'T been playing their best most of the year. In past seasons, I feel like I'm seeing all-out effort and out-working the opponents in the regular season. Then the post-season comes and there is no higher gear. This year, I don't believe we've seen the Blues' best level of play yet. Maybe its a mirage and they'll be an also-ran and out in the first round again. I look at teams that are fighting for the last couple playoff spots, and I see teams that are at their ceiling right now.

EDIT (One quick example of objective data to illustrate what I'm talking about: Backes and Pietrangelo are having their minutes reduced considerably compared to past seasons at this point. They're not likely to be worn out in April.)

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
This thread is eerily void of any Predator discussion. They are still on top of the Division.

I have no idea what to expect from them, other than the point that I think its too early in his career to expect Forsberg to be an impact player in the playoffs. I think this year may be a big learning experience for him.

Meatwagon

Blues=Overrated
Nov 15, 2010
Bi-polar Express
^^agreed(didn't want to clog up thread with a quote)^^

The Blues have been in some sort or fashion been carried by one line at a time all season. Started out as the STL line, then the SOB line kicked into higher gear, even Staz (PBJ) line was carrying the offense at times. What I want to see is all 3 lines rolling at once, if that happens, the Blues will be a tough out for anyone, period.

If they can only get one line to produce at a time, then it maybe another short playoff season.

Also, I refuse to get my hopes up until the Blues can win a game AFTER A TOUGH LOSS. Last 3 years, they lose a tough game and it's season over, I want to see them grow a pair and stop the bleeding when it counts and be able to win when the seasons on the line. Haven't done it yet, maybe this is the year...a Blues fan perpetual April swan song :(

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
Preds are probably feeling the opposite of the Wild fans right now. We're playing our best hockey (and at a level most Wild fans wouldn't have predicted at the beginning of the year) and high on that while the Preds were playing some unexpectedly great hockey, but have taken a step back. Wild should keep in mind the season isn't over, and we're a losing streak away from getting bumped, and we didn't play well enough early to build up a standings cushion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad