Central Division Race Part II [warning in the OP and #355]

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
As 2MM, I don't see a preferable match up. Minnesota isn't going to be a cake walk. Chicago is still Chicago, so it is what it is.

As a Blues fan, baring some horrifying amount of injuries Saturday, there are NO excuses this year. The Blues will be a full strength game 1.

10coach*

Feb 21, 2014
:help: How do the wild have the best depth? I disagree.
They are a deep team but I don't think they are as deep as St. Louis. Wild have 4 players who topped 40 points. St. Louis has 9.

Minnesota probably has the best depth in the league so it wasn't a shot at anyone I'm assuming.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
There really is no clear cut favorite.

Hawks have pedigree, high end talent, but lack depth, especially on D. Feels like this isn't their year, but you'd be crazy to underestimate them.

Blues can steamroller teams, but be let down by goaltending.

I don't know why the Jets aren't better. Scary team. Goalie?

Wild have best depth and are relentless, but lack a high end offensive C. Prone to being bullied, but not as much as in the past.

Don't know what the deal is in NSH. If Rinne becomes Rinne again they are back in it.

Blues are deeper.

We have 'momentum' (if there is such a thing) and goaltending.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I'll concede momentum obviously but are any of the central teams hurting in the goaltending dept.?

Chicago isn't imo. Crawford was fantastic against Stl last year and has been good in the last 2 games I've watched against us.

All other central teams can be in a really good spot or bad. Luckily if Allen stumbles we have a PO "tested" vet to pick up the ball in run. Can't say the same for rest.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Chicago isn't imo. Crawford was fantastic against Stl last year and has been good in the last 2 games I've watched against us.

All other central teams can be in a really good spot or bad. Luckily if Allen stumbles we have a PO "tested" vet to pick up the ball in run. Can't say the same for rest.
I... don't think "playoff tested" means what you think it means if Elliott is PO tested in your book.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
If I told you at the beginning of the season that there would be a thread about the Central division where three of the teams were talking about having no concerns about their goaltending, how crazy would it have sounded to say the three goalies in question were Jake Allen, Devan Dubnyk, and Ondrej Pavelec?

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
If I told you at the beginning of the season that there would be a thread about the Central division where three of the teams were talking about having no concerns about their goaltending, how crazy would it have sounded to say the three goalies in question were Jake Allen, Devan Dubnyk, and Ondrej Pavelec?

I'm not a jets fan fyi. ; )

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012

It's still crazy. You all are nuts to not be concerned about your goaltending in the playoffs from those guys. Any goalie can implode in the playoffs much less rookies, and guys fringe guys like Dubnyk and Pavelec that have turned it on.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I... don't think "playoff tested" means what you think it means if Elliott is PO tested in your book.

No it means exactly what I think it means. He's been in the environment and extreme pressure situations regardless of success or not. That's heads and shoulders above what the other teams can say. We know what we have in Elliott. He isn't going to steal a series but will keep the Blues in it. We've been saying this for a long time. Post season success will live and die on the Blues ability to score.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Elliott's confidence will be shaken if he is called upon after getting demoted. You really have to ride or die with Allen now. Just last year you have two fine examples in the Sharks and Ducks playing musical chairs with the goalies mid series, to their ruin

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Elliott's confidence will be shaken if he is called upon after getting demoted. You really have to ride or die with Allen now. Just last year you have two fine examples in the Sharks and Ducks playing musical chairs with the goalies mid series, to their ruin

That's speculation. In the past Elliott has come in as back-up and played at a very high level (like leading the league in save percentage level) despite getting only intermittent starts.

He's been playing below his standard down the stretch which is a concern. But after dips in the past he's come back with stretches of strong play (such as his notorious stretch that resulted in an AHL conditioning stint a couple years ago). If he gets called on in the playoffs there is just as much reason to expect him to revert to his usual standard of play, or comparable to his past post-season performances....which is good enough if the Blues are playing their game.

I see nothing in his history to support such a definite conclusion about him coming back mentally fragile. If Elliott has a strength in his game, its been his ability to be pretty even regardless of the security of his job (since he's been with the Blues).

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL

That's what I've been saying, but everybody seems to think it will be no biggie to be flip-flopping goalies. Hitch and the entire Blues organization have shown they don't have confidence in Elliott. That is gonna affect Elliott after being passed over again, this time after being told all season that the #1 job was his.

tampa pred

Jul 8, 2014
I'll concede momentum obviously but are any of the central teams hurting in the goaltending dept.?

The Preds. Pekka has been garbage lately. The Preds have played well enough to be on a 4 game winning streak instead of having lost the last 5.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
That's what I've been saying, but everybody seems to think it will be no biggie to be flip-flopping goalies. Hitch and the entire Blues organization have shown they don't have confidence in Elliott. That is gonna affect Elliott after being passed over again, this time after being told all season that the #1 job was his.
The only way Elliott could have out performed Allen is by pitching shutouts. Allen has only allowed 1 goal in his last 4 starts and 2 before that.

If anything Elliott will come back strong if he's called upon.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
The only way Elliott could have out performed Allen is by pitching shutouts. Allen has only allowed 1 goal in his last 4 starts and 2 before that.

If anything Elliott will come back strong if he's called upon.

I hope so.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010

Crawford's confidence will be shaken if he plays in Minnesota, "Crrrraaaaawwwwwwffffffoooooorrrrrrrdddd"

:cry:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad