Confirmed Trade: [CBJ/WPG] P-L Dubois and '22 3rd for P. Laine, J. Roslovic [Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
After the second goal against. Was warming the bench next to the backup for the last 6 minutes of the 2nd with a pissed-off look on his face. Will be very interesting to see how this all plays out. Jarmo may have let his prior affections lead to a huge mistake.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Laine loafed and his guy got a fat rebound opportunity. It was bad D but benching all ready? WOW!

Not surprised by a missed defensive coverage by Laine or Torts benching him already. Most Jets fans knew it was only a matter of time and much likely sooner then later. Hopefully Torts can improve Laine's D game & effort.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yep, IMO the goal was entirely his fault. It wasn't really even a mistake, he just didn't do his job.

Then it can be discussed whether the correct reaction to that is to bench him for the rest of the game.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
As much as Maurice and Laine may have butted heads at times, Maurice never benched Laine for almost half a game. I will be interested to see how Laine responds to this moving forward as this is uncharted territory for him in the NHL.

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
Yep, IMO the goal was entirely his fault. It wasn't really even a mistake, he just didn't do his job.

Then it can be discussed whether the correct reaction to that is to bench him for the rest of the game.

I believe Tortorella is making a statement; he knows Laine has been doing this for years, he wants to make it clear he will not tolerate it. We'll see how Laine will handle his treatment.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Laine will be a better player for it and it won't matter next season when the Jackets have a new coach.

HF loves making Torts the bad guy, and rightfully so in many cases, but holding people accountable is a weird example to use. Laine will be fine... he's led all forwards in time on ice since the trade, aside from this one example.

Torts also does this to everyone. So

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
Torts is trying to torpedo the relationship with Laine before PLD even plays a game for the Jets.

As a guy who was upset with his playing time/usage in Winnipeg I dont see Laine being very accepting about getting benched for half a game, especially when you consider Laine has a history of conflict with coaches going back to his junior days.

As much as Laine and Maurice butted heads, Maurice never sat Laine like this.

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Laine wasn't the only player CBJ acquired in this trade

Roslovic has exceeded expectations by a mile so far

Game winner tonight

It Torts doesn't run Laine out of town this could be a great trade for the Jackets

ijuka

May 14, 2016
As I said before, people were pretending that Roslovic wasn't even a part of the trade, now he's scored a point per game, 5 game point streak, playing as number 1 center. And gotta say, looks really good doing it. It's not just scoreboard stuff, to the eye he's fantastic as well.

The precision actually reminds me of Patrick Kane. Obviously doesn't have Kane's... well, any attribute, but Kane makes every casual play look so smooth and effortless. Similarly I've been impressed with how light Roslovic's touch is, how well he's been able to settle the puck, and such.

Last edited:

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I don't think Roslovic would've succeeded in Winnipeg like he is in Columbus. The edge here too is how he loves being home. But definitely, Max Domi is in his shadow. But what I'm curious if Roslovic is on a hot streak right now.

Not going to judge after one game, but if Torts and Laine aren't on good terms then Laine is probably not going to play in Columbus any longer. Guessing the LA Kings would be his next stop.

Last edited:
Reactions: snowkiddin

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
Roslovic has probably been the best forward on the team over the last 7 games. Laine scored 3 goals in 3.5 games prior to the benching. Things are strange.

Spargon

May 31, 2019
There's weak defensive play and then there's whatever Laine thought he was doing. Does he literally only function within the circle?
That wasn't controller disconnect but more like spilled coke on the controller and it starts glitching

JimmySpaetzle

May 16, 2014
Seems like Torts is expecting Laine to be something he's not. He's an offensive dynamo who's lazy on the defensive side of the puck and I'm not sure that'll change... there have been plenty of All-Star caliber players over the years like that

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
It’s that kind of lazy, horsecrap play by Laine that stopped Maurice from giving him more ice time. He was better last year but I am surprised he’s up to his old tricks with a new team already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad