Confirmed Trade: [CBJ/WPG] P-L Dubois and '22 3rd for P. Laine, J. Roslovic [Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
We won't know who won this trade for years most likely. But so far it's seemingly looking pretty good for the Jackets.

Both Laine(3gp) and Roslovic(6gp) are at a PPG. Now those points haven't translated to wins and it's all extremely short sample size, but I think it's fair to say Laine is gonna make most Jackets fans forget about PLD.

Roslovic is the real wildcard in this trade, if he ends up as a top 6C, it tilts this trade in Columbus's favor even if Dubois puts 70pts/season.

Having said that, we're gonna be looking for a Dubois replacement for the next 5-10 seasons most likely.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
I think the thing is, since trading Laine was going to have to happen, and Roslovic wasn't signing anyway, even if Dubois is nowhere near as good as Laine, it's still better to get a player like Dubois back than a package of a prospect, 1st and mid tier roster player. They still acquired a very good player. So even if the trade is a loss for the Jets, arguably a Laine trade was always going to be. I know if I was in that position is rather get a great young player back versus a package

Bleeker

Mar 6, 2011
Middle Earth
We won't know who won this trade for years most likely. But so far it's seemingly looking pretty good for the Jackets.

Both Laine(3gp) and Roslovic(6gp) are at a PPG. Now those points haven't translated to wins and it's all extremely short sample size, but I think it's fair to say Laine is gonna make most Jackets fans forget about PLD.

Roslovic is the real wildcard in this trade, if he ends up as a top 6C, it tilts this trade in Columbus's favor even if Dubois puts 70pts/season.

Having said that, we're gonna be looking for a Dubois replacement for the next 5-10 seasons most likely.

This is why i hate that trade for Columbus no matter if Laine scores 40 every seasons.
If there was one team who couldn't afford to lose a top-6 Center it was the Blue Jackets.
If they want to win it wont happen with Domi and Jenner being their 2 best options down the middle.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
This is why i hate that trade for Columbus no matter if Laine scores 40 every seasons.
If there was one team who couldn't afford to lose a top-6 Center it was the Blue Jackets.
If they want to win it wont happen with Domi and Jenner being their 2 best options down the middle.
I think we have solid depth and now we have that true, elite, top line goal scorer we've sorely needed. But it's created a massive gap that I'm not entirely sure can be filled by committee...

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I think the thing is, since trading Laine was going to have to happen, and Roslovic wasn't signing anyway, even if Dubois is nowhere near as good as Laine, it's still better to get a player like Dubois back than a package of a prospect, 1st and mid tier roster player. They still acquired a very good player. So even if the trade is a loss for the Jets, arguably a Laine trade was always going to be. I know if I was in that position is rather get a great young player back versus a package
This is going to end up very similar to the Jones/Johansen trade where it's entirely possible and likely, that both teams end up winning.

Now if one of Laine/PLD doesn't re-sign, it becomes a different story. But I honestly think both will re-sign and it ends up as a win win.

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC

Valid point, but if PLD was going to continue to ice dance instead of play hockey....wtf was Columbus to do

Last edited:
Reactions: ellja3 and Fro

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Laine is going to get paid, it's pretty clear. The performance he's putting up is spectacular, but Laine era CBJ seems to be the same as what happened here - it didn't translate to wins because other areas of the team's game fell apart. It's still early and Laine is probably still my favorite player, but it's such a strange dynamic to have a superstar make your team less competitive.

Reactions: snowkiddin

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Laine is going to get paid, it's pretty clear. The performance he's putting up is spectacular, but Laine era CBJ seems to be the same as what happened here - it didn't translate to wins because other areas of the team's game fell apart. It's still early and Laine is probably still my favorite player, but it's such a strange dynamic to have a superstar make your team less competitive.

I get what you're saying but it seems pretty unfair to blame Laine for the tire fire in Columbus. Dubois was the best transition player, and Laine is a poor transition player. But that isn't a big problem if you have other players that can transition the puck. Columbus doesn't. If they can get some, then they're in a fine position. If they can't, then they'll continue to stink it up. Either way it's not Laine's fault.

Reactions: CBJx614

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Roslovic's now scored a point per game for his first 6 games.

Remember when people were considering just Dubois vs Laine and were COMPLETELY ignoring that Roslovic even was a part of the trade?

Reactions: Opado and Devonator

Zahra Starker

Mar 3, 2020
Toronto
Roslovic's now scored a point per game for his first 6 games.

Remember when people were considering just Dubois vs Laine and were COMPLETELY ignoring that Roslovic even was a part of the trade?

A few months back I proposed a Jack Roslovic for Dermott trade and leafs fans thought I was insane.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Outside of Bjorkstrand, Jack and Laine appear to be the only capable offensive players on the team. Been very happy with both of them so far.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Glad to hear that CBJ fans are happy with the return.

Hopefully us Jets fans will be happy with PLD as well. With all the talk about who "wins" a trade, maybe the best case scenario is that we both do.
If Laine and Roslovic were to both be close to point per game, how good would PLD need to be for Jets to actually win the trade?

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016

Laine is a great player and I figured Roslovic would do well with a better opportunity (though, it is early). That all said, getting Dubois makes the Jets a better team. Our centre depth is just sick.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
If Laine and Roslovic were to both be close to point per game, how good would PLD need to be for Jets to actually win the trade?
Good question.

The Jets would have to take the next step as a franchise. Laine and Rosie are great players, but somewhat redundant with our wing depth. Filling our C hole with a 1B could be huge.

Also, if one of the teams can re-sign laine or PLD it will factor in.

At the end of the day, if the Jets make a playoff run, PLD contributes, and then re-signs long term, I'll be happy

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Good question.

The Jets would have to take the next step as a franchise. Laine and Rosie are great players, but somewhat redundant with our wing depth. Filling our C hole with a 1B could be huge.

Also, if one of the teams can re-sign laine or PLD it will factor in.

At the end of the day, if the Jets make a playoff run, PLD contributes, and then re-signs long term, I'll be happy
Yeah, you're probably correct. As long as Jets get better as a team it's a win for them, it doesn't really affect them even if CBJ gets better more than they did.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Laine is a great player and it will be hard to watch him score a ton of goal but like everyone has said a hundred times, this make the Jets a better team. I was looking at line combinations yesterday and all the sudden we have the ability to have three filthy lines. It has been a long time since I was confident seeing three lines out there or any hopes of the third line scoring consistently. We now have that ability. I think there is also a much better chance PLD stays in Winnipeg than Laine in Columbus.

Reactions: Avaholic29

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think Dubois will help Winnipeg, I am looking fwd to seeing how he fits in on the Jets. Laine and Torts seem to off to a good start. 3 goals in 3GP for a total of 5 goals in 4 games this year. I can see glimpses of the Laine from his rookie season. If he does go on one of those tears he is capable of, the trade is not going to favour the Jets from a statistical viewpoint, but from a team stand point the Jets should be better. So it is best to remember this Perhaps this can be a deal that is good for both teams.

Reactions: CBJx614

Conor McDavitt

Oct 17, 2017
I was surprised Laine was traded for Dubois with nothing more significant added from the Columbus side, but was even more surprised that Roslovic was included in the deal. Always felt he had potential to be a good player. I think Columbus made a great trade. I think it was a bad value trade by the Jets.

Ossific

Aug 23, 2010
I was surprised Laine was traded for Dubois with nothing more significant added from the Columbus side, but was even more surprised that Roslovic was included in the deal. Always felt he had potential to be a good player. I think Columbus made a great trade. I think it was a bad value trade by the Jets.
Roslovic will fall back down to earth soon. He is a 20-30 point guy.

Conor McDavitt

Oct 17, 2017
Roslovic will fall back down to earth soon. He is a 20-30 point guy.
Even as a younger 30-40 points player, I still believe the same. I like his game. I would not have made that trade as-is personally, but that is just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->