Confirmed Trade: [CBJ/WPG] P-L Dubois and '22 3rd for P. Laine, J. Roslovic [Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
So does Julien.

I wholeheartedly agree to the 200 ft game.. To me, I prefer 12 Gaineys versus 6 one dimensional scoring "stars".

Remember Bure? He didn't know the word " defensive play" if his life depended on it.
Thing is a guy like Laine could be a fabulous defensive player. He’s huge, smart, and talented. Torts knows Laine could dominate games all over the ice, with and without the puck. If Torts can get that type of commitment from Laine CBJ will be so much better.

Reactions: Dumais

Jul 6, 2016
Thing is a guy like Laine could be a fabulous defensive player. He’s huge, smart, and talented. Torts knows Laine could dominate games all over the ice, with and without the puck. If Torts can get that type of commitment from Laine CBJ will be so much better.

Won't happen. Laine doesn't have that in him. I am sure Paul Maurice tried and tried again.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
But can Torts get that, without poisoning the well? There is the perception that elite players avoid CBJ, for some reason, sometimes attributed to Torts' coaching style and defensive scheme. So if you try to plug square peg Laine into round hole and fail, where does that leave you. But if you don't try to convert square peg Laine into round peg Laine, you may lose other players' buy-in to the defensive scheme, which is what they need to do to win given lack of forward goal-scoring talent (exceptions being Bjorkstrand and (hopefully) Laine.). This is one of the dangers of trading for Laine - but PLD left CBJ with little choice. Hopefully Laine responds to the benching in a positive manner. I like PLD's game but that was absolute BS his last game for CBJ.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
You can’t say the trade was Dubois for Laine, and then a third for Roslovic. Given that a bunch of teams were after Dubois, but not so much for Laine might suggest Laine wasn’t viewed as valuable as Dubois.

When Roslovic was with the Jets, he was viewed as having Top 6 potential throughout his tenure. He displayed streaks of higher end skill and he did get some opportunities in our Top 6 that just didn’t translate to consistent results.

Most Jets fans are honestly happy that he’s taking a step up in his game and having a great opportunity with CBJ. What a great goal that was!

While I tend to agree on Dubois, I recall the majority of this site saying the trade was a good deal to robbery for Columbus and that many figured Laine is on a different level. I don't see it personally.

I dont think you can say because he had little interest. Teams would have offered up good quantity packages without a doubt. Laine was on the market for a Dubois, otherwise he wasn't being traded.

Kept hearing bottom six, top 9 good skater from Roslovic so this is a pleasant surprise. Usually the potential doesn't come out in a few games from a guy who hasn't played much hockey all year.

Really used to like to Dubois and hard to wish him a ton of luck right now, but him and Schiefele as a 1-2 punch down the middle, there are few if any teams that can match that right now. I'd take that over Matthews-Tavares personally.

Reactions: Pongs21 and hn777

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Won't happen. Laine doesn't have that in him. I am sure Paul Maurice tried and tried again.
Playing a hard 200 ft game is tiring. That's why you need to role 4 lines and keep the shifts short.

Its not his size or ice vision, I'm not sure Laine wants to do that if it hurts his goal scoring. Fighting on the boards for puck possession takes a lot of work....and not so much left in the tank for that next run down the ice for a goal scoring opportunity.

Can he be a 200 ft star? Of course. Does he want to be?

Stay tuned....and don't put your bets down....

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Jarmo and JD came in with a very pro-culture oriented approach and the number-one obstacle in their plan was Ryan Johansen. He's not a hard working leader type of guy, and they didn't want to build the team around him. Not much got leaguewide press prior to Torts' arrival, but there were some big flashpoints about Johansen's effort level. There were teammates lobbying to have him benched. I'm not the only Jackets fan to say that Dubois pulled a Johansen in that last game. But saying that, Johansen didn't want to leave, at least not until Torts arrived and things got nasty. He was actually a big Columbus booster.

You can think of Torts as the accelerant for the fire. He's the one who brings things to a boil, but the problem came before him.

Interesting. Ty.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
An NHL source said Laine “mouthed off” to one of the Blue Jackets’ assistant coaches, and another source with knowledge of the situation confirmed that account. It’s unknown what Laine said, or whom he said it to, but whatever it was prompted head coach John Tortorella to keep the team’s newly acquired star stuck to the bench in a 2-2 game.

John Tortorella benched Patrik Laine for 'mouthing off' to assistant coach

Reactions: Guffman

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
An NHL source said Laine “mouthed off” to one of the Blue Jackets’ assistant coaches, and another source with knowledge of the situation confirmed that account. It’s unknown what Laine said, or whom he said it to, but whatever it was prompted head coach John Tortorella to keep the team’s newly acquired star stuck to the bench in a 2-2 game.

78K806OHPM.gif

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Mouthed off? In a brand new team? Now we know why Laine has been on the trading block for so long.

Looks like his quest for millions has brain damaged him......

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
But can Torts get that, without poisoning the well? There is the perception that elite players avoid CBJ, for some reason, sometimes attributed to Torts' coaching style and defensive scheme. So if you try to plug square peg Laine into round hole and fail, where does that leave you. But if you don't try to convert square peg Laine into round peg Laine, you may lose other players' buy-in to the defensive scheme, which is what they need to do to win given lack of forward goal-scoring talent (exceptions being Bjorkstrand and (hopefully) Laine.). This is one of the dangers of trading for Laine - but PLD left CBJ with little choice. Hopefully Laine responds to the benching in a positive manner. I like PLD's game but that was absolute BS his last game for CBJ.
Hey, PLS’s last shift was no worse that Laine’s do nothing shift. Draw all the equivalencies that you want, they are not different in any measurable way. Both players have something to prove.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
LOL....nice one.

It's got to be aggravating that these millionaires can't understand the aggravation they are causing to the fans.....the people who are paying their big fat salaries.
What a Karen take... Wanna speak the manager?
Not one fan pays any player. It is what the fans hope and believe, but you pay for the whole package eventually.
Hockey Mecca or skating in some desert city, you pay for both.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa

Thats it?? Actually feel better now.

I don't know if you've actually heard what goes in with an open mic in a hockey game, but its not hi there, good seeing ya lets motivate each other by having a good ole scraperoo.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I dont believe that story. Ex Rangers that played under Torts that are now all retired and doing the podcast circuit said that he loved when players challenged him.

Then again, maybe it has a different effect when it is Brad Richards who has the resume to back it up compared to Laine who is in the middle of a major identity crisis.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
If that is accurate, it begs the question
What does Patrik Laine want?

Torts and his assistants seem to have a streak going, too.

He wants to be traded to a team in a major market with the brightest lights and biggest stage, but also to a team where there is no pressure and he can just fly under the radar and play his brand of hockey with nobody to hold him accountable for it.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010

Really? I mean, have we seen any indication of that? He's an elite shooter, no one can argue that point. But his play without the puck has always been lacking.

For his sake I do hope he turns a corner and starts to commit to some defensive play.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I’m not sure you watched many Jets games
Well whatever he's been doing with Kyle Connor hasn't really helped with his defense either. Doesn't seem like Maurice's able to help the players very much with D, regardless of the player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad