Confirmed Trade: [CBJ/WPG] P-L Dubois and '22 3rd for P. Laine, J. Roslovic [Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Continue

No politics talk, zero

Warning to everyone, discuss the facts of the trade nothing else. More and more trolling posts happening here......stop it or we will just shut this thread down. Just spent 15 mins deleting a pile of troll posts, next comes infractions and closing the thread. You've been warned.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
@Empath

You asked me about my following take:

Laine’s numbers probably won’t be good playing for Columbus.

Laine is not playing with elite forwards anymore. Other teams can provide even more focus on him.

I think he will have a harder time generating goals on Columbus unless he steps up his game (consistently plays like he did on opening night).

Reactions: DancesWithWookies

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I'd wonder which of the two traded players would be most likely to resign with their new team? That will impact how this trade looks in the future.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008

124346037-352-k822373.jpg

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
@Empath

Laine is not playing with elite forwards anymore. Other teams can provide even more focus on him.

I think he will have a harder time generating goals on Columbus unless he steps up his game (consistently plays like he did on opening night).
Cool; that'll likely open up opportunities for Bjorkstrand and Atkinson.

Royale With Cheese

Fuelled by Whiskey
Nov 24, 2006
@Rabid Ranger

You said: He is not a "unique" talent. That's part of the problem in this discussion.

I say: Semantics. His "unique" talent is really just that he's got a great shot and he's good at scoring goals.

That's not really my point though - it's that most Jets fans don't hate Patrik Laine.

Reactions: mattihp

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I'd wonder which of the two traded players would be most likely to resign with their new team? That will impact how this trade looks in the future.

I am guessing Dubois would be more likely to resign. I just get the feeling Laine wants glamour and a big contract.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
@Rabid Ranger

You said: He is not a "unique" talent. That's part of the problem in this discussion.

I say: Semantics. His "unique" talent is really just that he's got a great shot and he's good at scoring goals.

That's not really my point though - it's that most Jets fans don't hate Patrik Laine.
No one hates him but the fact that he’s not our anymore means the skepticism can come out. One overlooks their own. Once Kc gets traded it will be good he’s holding Ehlers back and he’s weak defensively but right now he’s a jet so we love him.
There are valid questions bout Laine’s health, his d play, how much he’ll want etc and now that’s he’s not a jet he doesn’t get the homer treatment.
He doesn’t need to be bad pld has to be better and has his own question marks like his last game. And only ever putting up 60 pts.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg

I've watched just about all half dozen or so interviews PLD has done since the trade and in at least one of them he mentions how when things were heating up he was hoping it was Winnipeg that would make the deal. He seems to legitimately want to be here and is saying all the right things. I can't see him not wanting to re-sign here if Chevy gives him a fair offer.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I've watched just about all half dozen or so interviews PLD has done since the trade and in at least one of them he mentions how when things were heating up he was hoping it was Winnipeg that would make the deal. He seems to legitimately want to be here and is saying all the right things. I can't see him not wanting to re-sign here if Chevy gives him a fair offer.
Ya, from what I've read or heard, it seems that maybe the Jets have a better chance of getting their guy to resign.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
@Rabid Ranger

Don't get me wrong, he has a great shot. One of the very best in the league. That said, it hasn't taken him to the heights that being referred to as "unique" would seem to indicate. That said, he will have an opportunity in Columbus to redefine himself and take his game to the next level. It's going to be a challenge though with the relative lack of talent and a system that isn't exactly favorable to his style of play. We'll see.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB

That makes me extremely happy.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Im gonna ask why can't both players be happy with a change and flourish? Both are more likely to resign longer term with their new teams then they were with their old team IMO

They can. Personally, I think it's a foregone conclusion PLD is in Winnipeg long term and it works out well. Columbus is going to have to do more of a sales job on Laine but in the end it will likely come down to usage/contract $$$/term.

Reactions: RCAFguy and SCP Guy

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
@Empath

Probably it will be a bit harder if they try a cycle-game. If they play a defensive game but let Laine cherry-pick now and then, CBJ have Jones and Werenski who can make pretty good break-out passes for him. Should also benefit on the PP to have 2 puck-moving defensemen, so I actually think he could maintain his goal-production. Could go better or worse.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Don't get me wrong, he has a great shot. One of the very best in the league. That said, it hasn't taken him to the heights that being referred to as "unique" would seem to indicate. That said, he will have an opportunity in Columbus to redefine himself and take his game to the next level. It's going to be a challenge though with the relative lack of talent and a system that isn't exactly favorable to his style of play. We'll see.
Exactly. Who is going to feed Laine the puck now? And in a league where centers are so extremely important to team success, the Blue Jackets certainly have a massive missing piece.

...and if Laine (reportedly) couldn't handle the heat in the Winnipeg locker room, how will he handle Torts? Methinks Patrik may end up being a Columbus coach-killer.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I just find it hard for Laine to get a 9M AAV contract with Columbus given all of their star players are under $6M. To sign Laine, will this disrupt the core salary structure of the team?

Maybe Laine is just the best asset that Columbus could acquire in the short term and he gets flipped this off season. It just seems like a weird piece to try and fit in if Laine does want a premier contract.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I just find it hard for Laine to get a 9M AAV contract with Columbus given all of their star players are under $6M. To sign Laine, will this disrupt the core salary structure of the team?

Maybe Laine is just the best asset that Columbus could acquire in the short term and he gets flipped this off season. It just seems like a weird piece to try and fit in if Laine does want a premier contract.

They offered Panarin superstar money

Reactions: Toe Pick

tomi2

Mar 1, 2007
I honestly think Laine will thrive under Torts. Finnish fans remember Olli Jokinen 20 years ago. He was a real prima donna back in the day (not saying Laine is, but many seem to think so) and he fulfilled his potential under Mike Keenan, who was probably an even bigger hard ass than Torts. I don't think Columbus center depth will affect Laine much, people should remember that their defence is much better than Winnipeg's. He seems to have taken big steps in the past summer also.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
They offered Panarin superstar money

Was it close to what NYR offered? If Laine does sign an inflated contract, I think that might damage the internal cap structure of the team when your star contracts are up.

It will be very interesting to see how this plays out this offseason (or earlier, since Laine can sign an extension now).

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
So, maybe Laine will stay in Columbus because of their good internet connection? Maybe that will help him with Fortnight.

But seriously... I think Laine likes the attention. He just seems like a big market type of guy.

Laine reminds me of Panarin. Wants that NYC treatment.

Could see Laine happy in like Dallas, LA, PHL, BOS, COL, MON, TOR, CHI,VGK and...maybe even Seattle? Crazier things have happened and I expect Seattle to be a fairly player-friendly town sooner than later.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Was it close to what NYR offered? If Laine does sign an inflated contract, I think that might damage the internal cap structure of the team when your star contracts are up.

It will be very interesting to see how this plays out this offseason (or earlier, since Laine can sign an extension now).

Somewhere in that ramge, if not more. Don’t remember the exact rumoured numbers.

Dubois rumour was 8x8, and Jones will get a lot lot more than 6 soon.

Jarmo will try to make Laine the franchise guy and will pay him.
It would be huge for them in multiple ways

Reactions: Toe Pick
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->