Confirmed Trade: [CBJ/WPG] P-L Dubois and '22 3rd for P. Laine, J. Roslovic [Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It’s that kind of lazy, horsecrap play by Laine that stopped Maurice from giving him more ice time. He was better last year but I am surprised he’s up to his old tricks with a new team already.

This isn't 2018-19 Laine where he's asleep all game. It's the same Laine as last year.

In the clip you saw he doesn't seem to know where he is supposed to be, that's almost understandable in a new system. Torts said it wasn't just about that though. He didn't elaborate but the constant turnovers (same as last year's Laine) are probably a part of the reason.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Great goal for Roslo, happy for the guy.

Hopefully he can take advantage of this opportunity this time and run with it.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
This isn't 2018-19 Laine where he's asleep all game. It's the same Laine as last year.

In the clip you saw he doesn't seem to know where he is supposed to be, that's almost understandable in a new system. Torts said it wasn't just about that though. He didn't elaborate but the constant turnovers (same as last year's Laine) are probably a part of the reason.
I don’t know what Laine was supposed to be doing on that play. I’d assume he should collapse to the net. But the defenseman could have been his man too. Either way, I imagine if he would have made a choice to be involved in the play in some way may have got him another shift. Instead he got himself open for a pass when the other team had the puck when he should have been doing something to help defensively.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
Gotta admit I was wrong on Roslovic, damn what a find he has legit top six potential and is playing like one right now.

Tons of people said Winnipeg didn't get enough, they might be right(but I'm not talking about Laine vs Dubois). Its too bad he didn't have a contract, he should have gone for more than a 3rd.

Laine is what he is, I think its just as likely Torts loses his job if he continues this even if he has a point. Could you imagine a coach benching Patrick Kane for half a game? Some players will get more leeway because of their skillset. But I do think if Roslovic has 1 point, Laine has 4-5 goals this doesn't happen.

Reactions: mattihp

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Did the Ryan Johansen trade (to Seth Jones) happen because of Tortorella's presence? Did Ryan Johansen want out of Columbus or was there no animosity? I can't remember so someone enlighten me.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Gotta admit I was wrong on Roslovic, damn what a find he has legit top six potential and is playing like one right now.

Tons of people said Winnipeg didn't get enough, they might be right(but I'm not talking about Laine vs Dubois). Its too bad he didn't have a contract, he should have gone for more than a 3rd.

Laine is what he is, I think its just as likely Torts loses his job if he continues this even if he has a point. Could you imagine a coach benching Patrick Kane for half a game? Some players will get more leeway because of their skillset. But I do think if Roslovic has 1 point, Laine has 4-5 goals this doesn't happen.

You can’t say the trade was Dubois for Laine, and then a third for Roslovic. Given that a bunch of teams were after Dubois, but not so much for Laine might suggest Laine wasn’t viewed as valuable as Dubois.

When Roslovic was with the Jets, he was viewed as having Top 6 potential throughout his tenure. He displayed streaks of higher end skill and he did get some opportunities in our Top 6 that just didn’t translate to consistent results.

Most Jets fans are honestly happy that he’s taking a step up in his game and having a great opportunity with CBJ. What a great goal that was!

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Did the Ryan Johansen trade (to Seth Jones) happen because of Tortorella's presence? Did Ryan Johansen want out of Columbus or was there no animosity? I can't remember so someone enlighten me.
IIRC Johansen had a really productive year and held out for a high AAV bridge with some pretty intense negotiations. I think Jarmo lost his appetite for him, but that's just my vague remembrance and is probably incomplete if not completely wrong.

Reactions: Mestaruus

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
You can’t say the trade was Dubois for Laine, and then a third for Roslovic. Given that a bunch of teams were after Dubois, but not so much for Laine might suggest Laine wasn’t viewed as valuable as Dubois.

When Roslovic was with the Jets, he was viewed as having Top 6 potential throughout his tenure. He displayed streaks of higher end skill and he did get some opportunities in our Top 6 that just didn’t translate to consistent results.

Most Jets fans are honestly happy that he’s taking a step up in his game and having a great opportunity with CBJ. What a great goal that was!

Dubois was absolutely valued above Laine in that negotiation. There's no way Roslovic gets moved for a 3rd rounder. It's more likely that Columbus needed a moderate-sized add on to Laine to make the deal happen, and we know they really wanted Roslovic, and that his value was a 3rd higher than needed to even out the deal.

Reactions: Guffman and hn777

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Joey was taking shifts off and it was causing some friction inside the locker room. Tortorella started trying to work with him immediately upon arrival, but couldn't really reach him and so ultimately that's why he was traded. To my great frustration, he's been doing the same thing in Nashville AND he decided he didn't want to shoot anymore.

Reactions: Mestaruus and hn777

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Jarmo and JD came in with a very pro-culture oriented approach and the number-one obstacle in their plan was Ryan Johansen. He's not a hard working leader type of guy, and they didn't want to build the team around him. Not much got leaguewide press prior to Torts' arrival, but there were some big flashpoints about Johansen's effort level. There were teammates lobbying to have him benched. I'm not the only Jackets fan to say that Dubois pulled a Johansen in that last game. But saying that, Johansen didn't want to leave, at least not until Torts arrived and things got nasty. He was actually a big Columbus booster.

You can think of Torts as the accelerant for the fire. He's the one who brings things to a boil, but the problem came before him.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Joey was taking shifts off and it was causing some friction inside the locker room. Tortorella started trying to work with him immediately upon arrival, but couldn't really reach him and so ultimately that's why he was traded. To my great frustration, he's been doing the same thing in Nashville AND he decided he didn't want to shoot anymore.

Apparently they weren't taking calls at the E.R.

Your version seems sanitized compared to mine, or rather mine seems sensationalized. But I remember Joey absconding from the team after like one practice with Torts. He checked himself into the E.R., remember?

Reactions: Fro

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Laine didn't even bother to cover his man. He looked more like an opposing forward looking for a pass to score then a TEAM player. It's not rocket science to see that he needs to collapse and cover a man.

But apparently, hockey basics seem to elude some. Laine will get another team fan base to make apologies for him.

Is that a record?

In plain and simple terms, Laine is a one dimensional player. He always looks to score because...scorers make lots of money. Defensive types, not so much. He's looking for that 8-9 million dollar payday and given the room temperture IQ of some GMs, he'll get it.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Dubois was absolutely valued above Laine in that negotiation. There's no way Roslovic gets moved for a 3rd rounder. It's more likely that Columbus needed a moderate-sized add on to Laine to make the deal happen, and we know they really wanted Roslovic, and that his value was a 3rd higher than needed to even out the deal.

It speaks more about the lower value of Laine vs Dubois then a third rounder for Roslovic.

To me, Dubois is another level above Laine strictly because the latters one dimensional play. I wouldn't throw in the 3rd rounder, I would expect one back just to cover Laine.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Laine didn't even bother to cover his man. He looked more like an opposing forward looking for a pass to score then a TEAM player. It's not rocket science to see that he needs to collapse and cover a man.

But apparently, hockey basics seem to elude some. Laine will get another team fan base to make apologies for him.

Is that a record?

In plain and simple terms, Laine is a one dimensional player. He always looks to score because...scorers make lots of money. Defensive types, not so much. He's looking for that 8-9 million dollar payday and given the room temperture IQ of some GMs, he'll get it.

He was out of position but we're still not entirely clear which man he was supposed to cover there. In man defense he covers the point, in a collapse though he switches to cover closer to the net. He did neither.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
He was out of position but we're still not entirely clear which man he was supposed to cover there. In man defense he covers the point, in a collapse though he switches to cover closer to the net. He did neither.
Torts likes his guys to play a “stiffer” game, where they are stopping on puck, and hard onto bodies. Missing a coverage is one thing, but there are things off camera that Torts is seeing missing from Laine’s game that he believes are purely effort.

Nov 24, 2006
Torts likes his guys to play a “stiffer” game, where they are stopping on puck, and hard onto bodies. Missing a coverage is one thing, but there are things off camera that Torts is seeing missing from Laine’s game that he believes are purely effort.
It could be optics, but it has always looked to me like Laine doesn't think some elements of the game at NHL speed or something. I dunno. There's no questioning his shooting ability which is sensational, but without the puck he often doesn't react quickly to the play near him, especially in the D zone. You will see him give up the puck quite easily when he's pressured, and often simply fail to help clear the D zone.

You should be able to coach these things out of him, but it didn't work fully with the Jets IMO. Who knows how he reacts to a hothead like Torts though.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

The normal instinct is...if two man are heading towards your goalie, GET IN THERE.

This not even beer league stuff, it's street hockey level were you don't let your defenseman get outnumbered or your goalie facing multiple open man.

I'm not sure what's his problem. It's not that it's a difficult "hockey play" that needs "hockey vision". It simply needs EFFORT.

Anywho....I hope he gets his head straight. He can be up there with the elites of hockey.....but....

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The normal instinct is...if two man are heading towards your goalie, GET IN THERE.

This not even beer league stuff, it's street hockey level were you don't let your defenseman get outnumbered or your goalie facing multiple open man.

I'm not sure what's his problem. It's not that it's a difficult "hockey play" that needs "hockey vision". It simply needs EFFORT.

Anywho....I hope he gets his head straight. He can be up there with the elites iv hockey.....but....

His defensemen weren't outnumbered. There were more blue jerseys than red around the crease. I don't think it is that obvious, in some systems the winger is supposed to stay far closer to the point. Laine ended up doing kind of nothing there.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

So does Julien.

I wholeheartedly agree to the 200 ft game.. To me, I prefer 12 Gaineys versus 6 one dimensional scoring "stars".

Remember Bure? He didn't know the word " defensive play" if his life depended on it.

Reactions: Luckylarry
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad