Confirmed Trade: [CBJ/WPG] P-L Dubois and '22 3rd for P. Laine, J. Roslovic [Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Looks like Dubois outscored Laine and Roslovic last night. I am surprised we haven’t received updated stats and people saying the Jets clearly won the trade.

C’mon guys... you’re slipping!

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Maybe it's because it's a shiny new toy but Jets fans are super happy with what they've seen so far. I was reading the Columbus forum and many seem to think he must be hurt based on some of his play. Though he may actually be hurt, that is also what you get with Laine at times.
I said it when the trade first happened, it will be interesting to see how Laine does with less talent on his line and that also seems to be an issue. The good thing is Laine over the past couple years has improved his ability to create his own shot and drive the play so if he can keep improving that will help. Dubois is also going to look a lot better playing with better talented forwards as well.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Maybe it's because it's a shiny new toy but Jets fans are super happy with what they've seen so far. I was reading the Columbus forum and many seem to think he must be hurt based on some of his play. Though he may actually be hurt, that is also what you get with Laine at times.
I said it when the trade first happened, it will be interesting to see how Laine does with less talent on his line and that also seems to be an issue. The good thing is Laine over the past couple years has improved his ability to create his own shot and drive the play so if he can keep improving that will help. Dubois is also going to look a lot better playing with better talented forwards as well.

That was the view of some Laine fans. Some Jackets fans are disappointed, waiting for him to "take over a game".

And then you have Jets fans excitedly saying "just wait until PLD gets his legs!"

I've watched both of these guys for years. Both are themselves! PLD is up to speed, he is himself already. Laine is the same inconsistent skater at 5v5. He might be injured but if so it's the same normal body problems he usually has. His shot is on full display, as is his sloppy puckhandling.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
That was the view of some Laine fans. Some Jackets fans are disappointed, waiting for him to "take over a game".

And then you have Jets fans excitedly saying "just wait until PLD gets his legs!"

I've watched both of these guys for years. Both are themselves! PLD is up to speed, he is himself already. Laine is the same inconsistent skater at 5v5. He might be injured but if so it's the same normal body problems he usually has. His shot is on full display, as is his sloppy puckhandling.[/QUOTE]

You're gonna get wrath for this one

You're gonna get wrath for this one

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Linemates doesn’t seem to be a problem for Patty. He is still producing. ”Just wait until he realises there is nobody who can pass the puck for him” talks were nonsense. Some Jets fans seem to be a little butt hurt about the fact that Patty is PPG guy without Scheif, Wheeler, Ehlers, Connor and Stastny. To my surprise Patty is even decent at bringing the puck to o-zone on PP. That is something that was rare sight with Jets. Apparently that has been major problem with Columbus PP earlier. He will not be win games by himsef but as important part of the team.
Cool good for him and pld has has like 5 pts in his last 2 games wins for everyone.
Well being defensively reliable and more physical than Laine.

Last edited:

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Warning to everyone, discuss the facts of the trade nothing else. More and more trolling posts happening here......stop it or we will just shut this thread down. Just spent 15 mins deleting a pile of troll posts, next comes infractions and closing the thread. You've been warned.

civic204

Jun 1, 2012
Jets fan here.

I like the trade for CBJ if Laine and Roslo can get the team into the playoffs. However, they have the same dilemma as the Jets. Is Laine a player you want to pay 9-10 million a season?

I like the trade for the Jets if they can win a round or two in the playoffs. That would mean the Jets should be all in over the next 2-3 years.

Reactions: hn777

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I said this when this trade broke.
Jets fans within a couple months would be saying 'Laine who?'

Dubois is picking up his play. I still get a kick of the people who think they got hosed on the deal. Laine's a great player as well, but that's about the best you can do on a trade where you're dealing a potential scoring star.

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC

Dubois is picking up his play. I still get a kick of the people who think they got hosed on the deal. Laine's a great player as well, but that's about the best you can do on a trade where you're dealing a potential scoring star.
The irony is that Laine needed a center he would have chemistry with and the Jets brought in Stasny then traded him....for another center he likely would have played well with. Also Perfetti, might end up being being a top 6 center. Time will tell.

To CBJ who are now weak down the middle.
I feel sorry for Laine.

Reactions: MarkWheeler

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

Almost 40% on the way through the season the Jets are scoring more goals without Laine & Jack compared to last year when Laine played on the top line and Jack played on the 2nd line. 3.00 GF last year and 3.29 GF this season to-date largely achieved without PLD due to his COVID lock down and injury. This isnt hating on Laine & Jack, just showing how it's a win win trade for both teams. Jets who have tons of winger talent pre trade and could afford to let both Laine & Jack go to CBJ who need more depth & talent and the CBJ had a good 1C who came to the Jets and filled a huge need for the Jets. Again win win for both teams.

To your point anyone claiming a clear winner is way too premature and likely we won't know if there is any clear winner until this summer or maybe even the summer after this one once we see a good sample size of data and see who extends & who doesn't. Also IMO the team who is a better team overall after the fact is the winner, not even considering individual player stats.......after all it's a team sport with one goal aka a cup.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
To CBJ who are now weak down the middle.
I feel sorry for Laine.
Why? He requested a trade so he could be THE guy. As we all know, he's a complimentary player. He'll never be a franchise player.

Top line winger, yes.
Star play-driving player? Nope.

Columbus is drifting out of playoffs and it's just a matter of time until they throw in the towel for the year.

He made his bed, now lay in it.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
But Laine played that correctly didn't he? Not the example I'd use.

No, he didn't. There was less than 1 minute left in the game and we were down by 1 goal. Buff got the puck and came behind the net with a player on his back. He passed the puck to where Laine should have been skating to in order to start the breakout but instead Laine just stood still while Buff's pass went into the boards. Then Buff went and got the puck again and played it to Laine who still hadn't moved one step. Laine then tried to skate the puck out of the zone and turned it over at our blueline, killing our chance to go down and score. This was a few years ago though, not really indicative of his play now. Many young players have teachable moments in the games. This was Laine when he had poor fitness/diet and was gassed out there all the time.

Reactions: snowkiddin

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
As I said before, people were pretending that Roslovic wasn't even a part of the trade, now he's scored a point per game, 5 game point streak, playing as number 1 center. And gotta say, looks really good doing it. It's not just scoreboard stuff, to the eye he's fantastic as well.

The precision actually reminds me of Patrick Kane. Obviously doesn't have Kane's... well, any attribute, but Kane makes every casual play look so smooth and effortless. Similarly I've been impressed with how light Roslovic's touch is, how well he's been able to settle the puck, and such.

Weird these updates stopped a couple weeks ago.

PLD: 1g,0a,1pt in 7 games

Laine: 6g,2a,8pts in 7 games
Roslovic:4g,5a,9pts in 9 games

this is starting to look real ugly

Now do their last 9 games.

Jets are also 6-2 in games PLD has played in since the trade.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016

The frustrating thing about Laine is you never know which guy you’re going to watch from game to game. He’s too streaky/inconsistent. When he’s on fire, he is so incredible to watch. There were many times I would just laugh after watching him score a goal with an incredible shot.

Then, there are the games he would disappear for long stretches and just be a terrible liability.

Not sure I will ever say “Laine who?” I will miss watching him when he was kicking it. That said, overall, he was too inconsistent for my tastes and I was fine with moving him. Dubois will never be as electric as Laine but it does improve our team.

Reactions: DRC

north49er

Dec 20, 2017

I don't think it's taken a couple of months......

6zag

Apr 30, 2016
What are the roles on his line? His shot total is so low! What does he do out there?

Despite the -3 he's playing pretty well as a defensive grinder at the moment, just a bit on the expensive side to be one lmao. I mean nothing spectacular, but doesn't look to be a liability on the ice either. But the swagger is nowhere to be seen at the moment, doesn't look dangerous at all.

Reactions: mattihp
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad