Confirmed Trade: [CBJ/WPG] P-L Dubois and '22 3rd for P. Laine, J. Roslovic [Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Royale With Cheese

Fuelled by Whiskey
Nov 24, 2006
Despite the -3 he's playing pretty well as a defensive grinder at the moment, just a bit on the expensive side to be one lmao. I mean nothing spectacular, but doesn't look to be a liability on the ice either. But the swagger is nowhere to be seen at the moment, doesn't look dangerous at all.

Laine a defensive grinder? Did I read that correctly?

Reactions: TS Quint

6zag

Apr 30, 2016
Laine a defensive grinder? Did I read that correctly?

Haha, yeah I mean that's how he looks like at the moment. He's hustling more in the d-zone than o-zone at the moment. He has 2 shots in total past 2 games so. Don't get me wrong he's not playing like someone you'd put out on PK but at least he's not being made to sit 5 last minutes of the 3rd protecting a lead if you get what im saying. The "defensive grinder" was more of a joke.

Of course I'm hoping he'll pot a hattrick next game to shut us all up but not gonna lie it looks like a drought alright.

Last edited:

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
- Pass the puck to Atkinson, who is always going to be the primary shooter.

- First backchecker.

Huh, Laine fought so hard to leave the Jets for better opportunities and this is what he’s doing?

It should be a very interesting offseason.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Huh, Laine fought so hard to leave the Jets for better opportunities and this is what he’s doing?

He complained about being on a line with Little, I can't imagine him being much happier in this situation. I could see him staying if he has some talent around him, if not he'll probably go elsewhere. Though he probably does enjoy being 'the man', but might be realizing 'the man' needs added support.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Geez, not what I expected.

If I was the coach, I'd make sure Laine was on the ice for a full 2 minute PP shooting every time he could.

I can't think of one good reason why he isn't on the PP for a full 2 mins. Draisaitl and McDavid do that even if it means they miss a 5v5 shift. And in Laine's case there isn't as much lost if he's not on a 5v5 shift.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
He complained about being on a line with Little, I can't imagine him being much happier in this situation. I could see him staying if he has some talent around him, if not he'll probably go elsewhere. Though he probably does enjoy being 'the man', but might be realizing 'the man' needs added support.
The Little situation was not about quality, more about playing style. Little is mighty fine, but it was obvious the two could not get much out of each other

Reactions: kylbaz

Cold Coffee

Elite/Franchise/Generational/BPA
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
I thin Laine's great but the Jets definitely won this trade.

They now have two lines with elite centres. I saw it first hand last night.

Having Scheifele/Wheeler on the first line and then being able to send out the Connor/Dubois/Ehlers line really balanced out their top 6.

6zag

Apr 30, 2016

Torts is hellbent on sculpting Laine into some sort of a complete masterpiece. Said he needs to learn how to be a pro and stuff. I mean if he can do it hats off to him, but so far it just looks like it's affecting Laine negatively production wise, which was the reason he was acquired I'd assume. Doesn't look like Laine is enjoying hockey too much right now from his body language.

Not saying it's all Torts fault though, I don't believe that at least.

Reactions: north49er

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Torts is hellbent on sculpting Laine into some sort of a complete masterpiece. Said he needs to learn how to be a pro and stuff. I mean if he can do it hats off to him, but so far it just looks like it's affecting Laine negatively production wise, which was the reason he was acquired I'd assume. Doesn't look like Laine is enjoying hockey too much right now from his body language.

PMO said and did the exact same thing for four years.

Reactions: Guffman and 6zag

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
At this point Laine actually looks unhappy in Columbus rather than his agent just telling people he wasn't happy in Winnipeg. He's a true enigma.

Reactions: Tasteless Beaver

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
At this point Laine actually looks unhappy in Columbus rather than his agent just telling people he wasn't happy in Winnipeg. He's a true enigma.

I don't think Laine was unhappy in Winnipeg in a pure sense. He had his buddy Ehlers, he was showing raw emotion when he scored big goals, and he interviewed pretty well.

There was obviously stuff that he didn't like but I don't think you ever saw that on the ice.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
But how long can a guy be "enigmatic" and it's not his fault that people don't understand his quirks? He's been in the NHL for 4 years. At some point being an enigma loses it's lustre if he's not getting on the score sheet. Bring it 100% game in, game out, or gtfo.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
But how long can a guy be "enigmatic" and it's not his fault that people don't understand his quirks? He's been in the NHL for 4 years. At some point being an enigma loses it's lustre if he's not getting on the score sheet. Bring it 100% game in, game out, or gtfo.

He's not enigmatic. He just wants to play the game "his way" and feels justified in doing so. The problem is he's run into a string of NHL coaches that aren't playing ball.

North

Jun 25, 2009
He's not enigmatic. He just wants to play the game "his way" and feels justified in doing so. The problem is he's run into a string of NHL coaches that aren't playing ball.

Initially when he first came in to the league the Jets did let him play his game because they had the depth to deal with defensive lapses that occurred.

The thing is though in a cap world eventually that depth is going to thin out and that started happening. They needed Laine to round out his game more and he did attempt to at times but it just didn’t seem like something he was interested in doing for any length of time.

Traveled

Feb 10, 2021

It is unfortunate how many players are snowflakes in the league. I sure do miss the days when the NHL was a tough sport both mentally and physically.

Reactions: King Woodballs

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Man, it's starting to look like Roslovic was the true candy in this trade, and Laine was just a sweetener.

Roslovic 22 gp, 5G 13A and every Columbus game I've seen he has always been very visible at any point of the game, always creating something. Laine not so much. I actually thought he was benched last game, but no, just not doing anything really.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Man, it's starting to look like Roslovic was the true candy in this trade, and Laine was just a sweetener.

Roslovic 22 gp, 5G 13A and every Columbus game I've seen he has always been very visible at any point of the game, always creating something. Laine not so much. I actually thought he was benched last game, but no, just not doing anything really.
Roslovic has had some rough games too. And he has been awful at the draw. But this far he has played better than Patrik. Which honestly isn't saying much.

Reactions: 6zag

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Roslovic has had some rough games too. And he has been awful at the draw. But this far he has played better than Patrik. Which honestly isn't saying much.
Roslovic has played very well overall. For a young player that had very little time at Center in the Jets organization, coming to a team that relies heavily on Center responsibility in all three zones, he's adjusting very well. I agree, he's had some stinkers but he's been far better than most had hoped and he's still learning how to play the position under a very demanding coach. He's had far more positives than negatives. Laine has not found the fit yet. /That's the disappointment for me, however, with overall poor Center play on CBJ, it's not surprising.

Reactions: mattihp
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->