Confirmed Trade: [CBJ/WPG] P-L Dubois and '22 3rd for P. Laine, J. Roslovic [Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Players are often day to day on injuries, that isn’t new with any team or player or coach.....that’s normal. Some injuries take more time and some less time then medical staff projected.

You can believe what you like, but there is zero evidence to say PLD will stay a winger.......the team has went well out of their way to make that very very clear. People suggesting otherwise are trying too hard to create a story where there isn’t one.

But like I said believe what you like.

What are you saying?
All my other post are stating he is a center and he will be a center.

And i like him to be a center.
Jets need him to be a center.

Where did you get that i am saying he will be a winger.

I only stated if Dubois is to become a winger then its not good for the Jets, as that was my reply you quoted.

I actually posted in the Jets board thst PLD is a center and its not even a debate. :)

And ofcourse players have day to day injuries and longer term injuries. It doesnt change the fact Maurice is a pretty good talker and can pretty much talk his way into many things. That is his one of greatest skills.
It doesn't mean i am saying it is a bad skills.
But you can get smooth talk by him if you dont pay attention. Not saying you.. in general.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
That’s absurd and clearly you don’t follow the Jets very well to utter that nonsense.

Just to refresh your memory from earlier this month, when Dubois debuted, our lines were:

Copp-Schiefele-Ehlers
Vesalainen-Stastney-Wheeler
Connor-Dubois-Lewis (Appleton elevated here soon after)
Perreault-Lowry-Appleton

How many scoring lines? Three.

Dubois is returning from injury and was placed as a winger for now, but he is viewed as a a centre in the long-term. When the lines are shuffled again, especially when games become more frequent, I would expect the lines to be more balanced like it was earlier this month.

Honestly glad I don’t post on the Jets forum anymore lol.
That lasted for 2 periods. Clearly you don’t follow the jets very well, not me.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Honestly, the CBJ defense and goaltending hasn't been great. I think this would look like an absolute home run for the Jackets if the team was playing better.

They certainly aren't playing poorly because of the two players leading the team in points since the trade.

Still think this is 100% robbery by CBJ, and I say that as a big fan of PLD's game. Huge fan actually. Laine is just another level and Roslovic has been producing better than PLD did. Is what it is (at this early point). And they should only get better with more time and experience with their new teams. That is for all parties!
A lot depends on the contracts, really.

If Laine bolts ASAP and Dubois signs long-term, then it’s 100% robbery for the Jets.

The way it is right now I think both teams got the best possible return they could’ve gotten. Jackets got a perennial Rocket contender and the Jets got an elite, two-way 1C.

Hopefully both players resign at a reasonable amount with their teams.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
What are you saying?
All my other post are stating he is a center and he will be a center.

And i like him to be a center.
Jets need him to be a center.

Where did you get that i am saying he will be a winger.

I only stated if Dubois is to become a winger then its not good for the Jets, as that was my reply you quoted.

I actually posted in the Jets board thst PLD is a center and its not even a debate. :)

And ofcourse players have day to day injuries and longer term injuries. It doesnt change the fact Maurice is a pretty good talker and can pretty much talk his way into many things. That is his one of greatest skills.
It doesn't mean i am saying it is a bad skills.
But you can get smooth talk by him if you dont pay attention. Not saying you.. in general.

Your original post, you said he will probably try it again at wing....I just pointed out there is no "probably about it", PMO has clearly stated what the plan is multi times. Then you went on to state in the same post, "but if he became a winger".......there is no "but", the team stated the plan was to bring him back in game 1 as a winger to help him get back into game shape while reducing any chance of an injury. No team is trading for a young #1 proven centre to move him to wing........so what are you posting comments like "he will probably try it again & but if he became a winger" when you then say in this post "PLD is a centre it's not even a debate"? I'm well aware of your posts on the Jets board. PLD is going to play centre on the Jets once he's 100% healthy (if he isn't already) and in game shape (which he isn't), we can agree on that and leave any/all winger comments out.

PMO is a good talker, no coach in the NHL speaks 100% the truth to the media, that's part of the job. Any fan believing 100% what any coach/GM says publically is naive.

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
The only thing I'll disagree with is that I don't think both teams GOT better, I think both teams will end up better. Columbus definitely took a step back but not just because of this trade. Losing PLD really hurt the center position and now it's a bunch of really young players trying to learn at the NHL level. I think the Jackets will be fine moving forward but do think this year, as already shown, will be very bumpy and disjointed. Many crapped on Wennberg but reality is he was a defensive gem and pretty big player for their system. Way over paid for what was expected but they miss him and PLD. Ultimately I think they got the best player in the deal (I believe Laine is an elite wing, I don't feel PLD is elite but plays a more critical role) and with what we've seen from Roslovic they will have excellent middle 6 center depth for the long run.

So, I think the CBJ got better in the long run but will have their struggles this year. We're living it right now. Short camp, no games, new players and currently no experienced centers on top 3 lines (Roslovic, Texier, Stenlund)

Domi not playing centre? How many games did that experiment last?

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Looking strong for CBJ in terms of value added but honestly think Jets got better as well. Roslo was gone anyways, and they traded possession player for scorer. We'll have to wait for the next contracts to figure out who really won tho

One thing I've thought about is that Jets might have been better off with Jake Bean + Necas deal that was rumored somewhere. Bean is looking like a stud and Jets D core is utter trash. But can't really blame Chevy for not gambling on Bean though

Last edited:

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
A lot depends on the contracts, really.

If Laine bolts ASAP and Dubois signs long-term, then it’s 100% robbery for the Jets.

The way it is right now I think both teams got the best possible return they could’ve gotten. Jackets got a perennial Rocket contender and the Jets got an elite, two-way 1C.

Hopefully both players resign at a reasonable amount with their teams.
PLD isn’t elite anything yet. He’s on of those guys where if he is your 2nd line center you are doing really well. If he is your 1C you are in trouble.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Honestly this deal look great for both sides

PLD will be a 65-80 point Center hybrid for the Jets. He should be a more physical and complete 2 way center than Schifele is and can be their future 1C

Jackets fans may be upset at losing that type of player but Laine is a higher offensive ceiling guy. He is a ppg winger with 40 goal talent. He will be lazy and poor in his own zone at times but he can produce offense for history team

Roslovic should be a 45-60 point 2C which helps the Jackets have center depth and give them a Ohio boy to market around. He will also be signed cheaper on his long term deal than PLD

Reactions: Fro

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Strongly and vehemently disagree.
His career high is 61 points.

What is “elite” about him? Or are you one o those people who mean “pretty good” when you say “elite”.

You would sign him to an elite level contract right now?

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016

What is “elite” about him? Or are you one o those people who mean “pretty good” when you say “elite”.

Schiefele was 22 years old when he hit 61 points. Dubois was 20. I don’t think Dubois has earned an elite level contract yet, but I feel darn good having him on our team as a 2C who can move up to 1C.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014

Have you looked at his splits between 5V5 scoring and Powerplay scoring? He scored at a 60 point pace in back to back seasons on a low scoring team as a 20 and 21 year old. Most of his scoring came 5V5. Putting him with better finishers like Connor or Ehlers and getting him on PP1 and he's pretty much a PPG player already.

I don't know what you mean when you say elite level contract but $8AAV seems reasonable. That would put him as one of the top 30 paid forwards in the league so I guess yes, I would sign him to an elite level contract.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

Congrats, you know how to look players up on hockeyDB.

He's a play-driving, strong two-way center who led his team in points last year despite getting the toughest match-ups and playing with garbage teammates. He's only 22 and will just keep getting better. I would absolutely go 8 by 8 right now which I would call an elite level contract.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013

Dubois is 22 years old and playing his 4th season in the NHL.

Ryan O'Reilly's career high at that age was 55 points.

Mark Scheifele's was 49 points.

Barkov's was 59 points.

MacKinnion's was 63 points.

Dubois put up 61 points in his second season. The only player to do it quicker than that was MacKinnon who put up 63 as a rookie and then didn't score more than 60 for another 3 seasons after that.

Do you really believe that a 22 year old center has reached his max potential and is not going to improve at all going forward. Do you really think he has had his career best season already?

Last edited:

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
AS others have said, I think this deal could really just be a win/win.

Before it happened I wanted to get more value as well, especially with Roslo added and the retention. But even if there is a slight overall "value" perspective loss, to me the reason why it makes a lot of sense for the Jets is their salary cap and the overall asset allocation of it.

All signs point to Laine looking for a big number in his next contract. The Jets as currently constructed have Wheeler over 8, and then 2 really good contracts to Ehlers and Connor. There is also a big long term hole at 2C (once Stastny is gone next year), and even with a couple of good young D coming, a hole on the top pair.

Trading Laine for PLD gives the Jets a better distribution of cap dollars, as when (hopefully) PLD extends, they would then have the top 2 centers locked up (which is more important), and still have 3 good wingers and Perfetti on the way. With Stastny and Perreault off the books, there is likely an opportunity to hopefully spend on D as well.

Hopefully Roslo keeps it up, Laine extends, and CLB is able to add to their mix as well.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
Schiefele was 22 years old when he hit 61 points. Dubois was 20. I don’t think Dubois has earned an elite level contract yet, but I feel darn good having him on our team as a 2C who can move up to 1C.
Schiefele was actually older than 22 years old. He turned 23 in the season where he scored 61 points.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016

He's a play-driving, strong two-way center who led his team in points last year despite getting the toughest match-ups and playing with garbage teammates. He's only 22 and will just keep getting better. I would absolutely go 8 by 8 right now which I would call an elite level contract.

Fortunately, we get to see this year (and even next year) play out before we sign him long-term.

8x8 might be appropriate, though it does escalate things from what our core settled on. I can’t see the Jets throwing that at him this offseason just yet.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I expect Laine’s numbers to go down on bj and pld to go up on Jets.
Either way we already have our 1 dimensional goal scorer in Connor we don’t need 2.
Overall I expect pld to be the better player in his end and the better play driver, and playmaker. Laine will be the better goal scorer.
I am not sad to lose fans who are only fans of Laine Columbus can have that headache. Complaining how it’s everyone else’s fault that he is held back.
Good luck Roslo hope he can be consistently good. He has had moments where he was close to putting it together in wpg but never did. Hopefully he can be your Pionk.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Schiefele was actually older than 22 years old. He turned 23 in the season where he scored 61 points.

And Schiefele then parlayed that breakout year to an 8 year/$6.125M AAV contract, which is probably like 8x8 right now.

Hmm. I mean, if he does fit in well with the team, I guess 8x8 would be fair and solves a big hole on this team for a long time.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Fortunately, we get to see this year (and even next year) play out before we sign him long-term.

8x8 might be appropriate, though it does escalate things from what our core settled on. I can’t see the Jets throwing that at him this offseason just yet.
But still less than Wheeler. And less than Laine would have signed for, yet get a similar result.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Have you looked at his splits between 5V5 scoring and Powerplay scoring? He scored at a 60 point pace in back to back seasons on a low scoring team as a 20 and 21 year old. Most of his scoring came 5V5. Putting him with better finishers like Connor or Ehlers and getting him on PP1 and he's pretty much a PPG player already.

I don't know what you mean when you say elite level contract but $8AAV seems reasonable. That would put him as one of the top 30 paid forwards in the league so I guess yes, I would sign him to an elite level contract.
“Pretty much”? No he is not. And he isn’t until he is and does.

I do believe the potential is there but he isn’t elite anything yet.

You are happy giving a career high of 61 and a pro rated 57 points the following year a better contract than Mark Stone, interesting.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012

Who is your compareable for that contract?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->