Confirmed with Link: CBJ trade Gavrikov and Korpisalo to LA for ‘23 1st (conditional), ‘24 3rd And Quick

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
If this is the full deal, he got his asking price by including a goalie who's been top 10 in the league the last 2.5 months and should have warranted a 2nd/3rd on his own.
LOL yeah, kind of a broad brush you’re stroking there, no? Goalies have no market. The rumored asking price was a 4th or 5th. Okay, he had a hot streak recently that bumps the price up. Go ahead and see how many goalies get traded by Friday. I bet it’s less than 2.5. Korpi had little to no market, and Gavrikovs eroded.

He got his asking price for two UFA to be that we weren’t going to retained.

Jarmo did well. It’s okay to be wrong

Last edited:

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
If this is the full deal, he got his asking price by including a goalie who's been top 10 in the league the last 2.5 months and should have warranted a 2nd/3rd on his own.
eh, rental goalies never really fetch all that much. rittich got a third rounder a couple years ago. dubnyk got a fifth. and that was in a stronger goalie market than this one.

Reactions: behemolari and LJ7

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
But the wording decent recovery?

Boston is going to be the #1 regular season team so that 1st is an extremely late 1st no matter what.

LA is probably dropping out on the 1st or 2nd round. Much more valuable as a trade asset than the Bostons pick.

They ended up with the better 1st round pick.
So it’s not a decent recovery, it’s a better end result
Werent we working on a first and a third (and maybe a 4th/5th) with no salary retention for Gavy?
So yes I get it's likely a better first round pick, but if you had that deal then you could have likely traded Korpy for a 3rd round pick (or potentially packaged Korpy and a 4th/5th for a 2nd round pick)?

The big downside here is the potential bad press - namely from Quick. Now it makes the Kings look much worse than us (for trading him in the first place) but there is a chance he comes out and says I won't play for them (which again will make the CBJ look bad). Smaller chance he shows up and points out how bad we are while he's here or as he's leaving.

Reactions: Toe Pick and DJA

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Korpi at best is a 3rd/4th.

Those late picks really don’t matter.

This 1st is clearly a trade asset and having La’s 1st rounder on the market is seen as clearly more valuable than Boston’s 1st rounder.
That’s what matters the most

Also it sounds like it’s just not going to be Quick+1st (Seravalli)
So now late picks don't matter. Disagree.

Korpi at best is a 3rd/4th. Disagree.

LA's pick is more valuable than Bostons. Agree.

The extra third helps for sure and I like this deal better with that "late pick that doesn't really matter" included.

Reactions: Monstershockey

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
so people really went from 'jarmo screwed the pooch by sticking to the original boston agreement and now they won't get a first for gavrikov' to 'so what if they got a better first, they missed out on a 3rd/4th rounder for korpisalo by including him!'

just take the dub, people

LA's pick is more valuable than Bostons. Agree. I don't agree that it's significant value.
per the draft pick value chart, the kings 1st round pick on its own is worth more than the entire package boston was offering and that's without considering the olivier add.

you can almost think of it as two separate trades: gavrikov for the ~23rd overall pick and korpisalo for a 3rd + quick.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
The big downside here is the potential bad press - namely from Quick. Now it makes the Kings look much worse than us (for trading him in the first place) but there is a chance he comes out and says I won't play for them (which again will make the CBJ look bad). Smaller chance he shows up and points out how bad we are while he's here or as he's leaving.
This is an underated point. Columbus has already taken more shots than Michael Jordan on twitter bc of this Quick mess.

I hope we can dump him....pardon the pun...quickly.

per the draft pick value chart, the kings 1st round pick on its own is worth more than the entire package boston was offering and that's without considering the olivier add.

you can almost think of it as two separate trades: gavrikov for the ~23rd overall pick and korpisalo for a 3rd + quick.
What is the magical chart you speak of? Link please.

Also -- I saw rumors of Boston WANTING Olivier included -- not that he was actually included in that imploded deal. Where are you seeing he was absolutely going to be included? Link please.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
This is an underated point. Columbus has already taken more shots than Michael Jordan on twitter bc of this Quick mess.

I hope we can dump him....pardon the pun...quickly.

Also -- I saw rumors of Boston WANTING Olivier included -- not that he was actually included in that imploded deal. Where are you seeing he was absolutely going to be included? Link please.
People in sports have short memories. They can be upset and pretend Quick needed to remain a King but when another trade happens everyone will forget Quick was even dealt.

Maybe we can retain and give him back to LA for an asset if its such an ordeal

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
Werent we working on a first and a third (and maybe a 4th/5th) with no salary retention for Gavy?
So yes I get it's likely a better first round pick, but if you had that deal then you could have likely traded Korpy for a 3rd round pick (or potentially packaged Korpy and a 4th/5th for a 2nd round pick)?

I don't think Quick would do that to the CBJ, he has always been a professional. Now throwing the Kings under the bus for the blindside, I can see him throwing them under the bus.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
People in sports have short memories. They can be upset and pretend Quick needed to remain a King but when another trade happens everyone will forget Quick was even dealt.

Maybe we can retain and give him back to LA for an asset if its such an ordeal
I mean I don't really blame them. He won them two cups and then was dumped to the last place team in the league. They did him dirty but this can be a dirty business.

Just hate seeing Columbus dragged through the mud yet again. But some of that is of our own making as well.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
i was using the one that the athletic posted a couple years ago, which uses GSVA. the math i did in my head was slightly off. here's another chart that doesn't use GSVA (which has some flaws imo)

Screenshot 2023-03-01 at 8.47.08 AM.png

according to this chart:
LAK picksValueBOS picksValue
1st (23OA)198.911st (32OA)132.71
3rd (87OA)18.103rd (96OA)13.99
4th (128OA)4.78
TOTAL217.01TOTAL151.48

as you can see, the LAK pick is significantly more valuable than the entire boston package.
portzline's sunday gathering last week said:
1. boston wanted olivier included
2. boston and cbj had an agreement in place
3. the deal fell apart because cbj wouldn't take money back

the implication there is that olivier would have been included in the final trade.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I mean I don't really blame them. He won them two cups and then was dumped to the last place team in the league. They did him dirty but this can be a dirty business.

Just hate seeing Columbus dragged through the mud yet again. But some of that is of our own making as well.
I’m not really sure why CBJ would be dragged through the mud here, is it just more of the “nobody wants to play there” stuff?

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Considering the market, getting a first is a pretty big win. The kings were literally the last team left standing with a D need and interested in Gavrikov (that we knew). The fact they needed a goalie probably helps this deal quite a bit.

And plus I’m not sure the whole trade is known yet
Yeah, re last sentence, pretty decent deal with the 3rd too. I think 1st + 3rd for Gav alone with a Gav extension would’ve been reasonable, but with him not re-signing, I think that would’ve been tough, so 1st + 3rd for both he and Korpi combined is probably fair.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Well, I guess I know who I'm rooting for in the West now

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
So if the Kings miss the playoffs, they get no 1st round pick? Or does it become a 2024 1st round pick? Or maybe just becomes a 2nd round pick?
No clue but my guess is a second round pick
i'd assume it'd be a 2024 first but it shouldn't be an issue either way.

the kings are tied for 1st in the pacific (vgk has a game in hand) and have a five point cushion over the 9th place team. this trade also solves their biggest issues – defense and goaltending – otherwise they're the highest-scoring team in the western conference.

it'd be AWESOME if they slide back into one of the wild card spots (would end up having the ~18th-19th pick then) but i don't think they'll slide out altogether.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Let’s see…

1) Why would we get any bad press for taking Quick? He’s a pure cap dump. We aren’t the one who traded away a franchise legend in his likely last year. Whether or not Quick shows up to play for us, I doubt Jarmo or anyone cares. He’s just a contract at this point. CBJ getting any bad press for this would just be from idiots.

2) People are upset about this return because it’s a package deal and we could’ve gotten (maybe) an additional 3rd for Korpi on his own? Well, think of it this way. At the draft, if you had the #32 pick, and a team offered you the #23 pick for the 32 + a 3rd rounder, would you make that trade? What about for a 3rd and 4th? f***ing of course you would, either way. You would be the worst GM in the league if you didn’t.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
1) Why would we get any bad press for taking Quick? He’s a pure cap dump. We aren’t the one who traded away a franchise legend in his likely last year.
i think it's just an internalized inferiority complex that's carrying over from the adam foote / jeff carter / artemi panarin / pierre-luc dubois stuff. with quick, i don't think any of this is about columbus in particular.

quick would feel the exact same way if he was traded to anaheim or chicago or arizona or any other non-contender. as you said, this is the kings not doing right by one of their franchise legends.

2) People are upset about this return because it’s a package deal and we could’ve gotten (maybe) an additional 3rd for Korpi on his own? Well, think of it this way. At the draft, if you had the #32 pick, and a team offered you the #23 pick for the 32 + a 3rd rounder, would you make that trade? What about for a 3rd and 4th? f***ing of course you would, either way. You would be the worst GM in the league if you didn’t.
YUP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad