Not open for further replies.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I see our medium-term vacancies as

xxxxDuboisAtkinson
xxxxxxxxBjorkstrand
FolignoJennerAnderson
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

which is rather convenient because Texier and Bemstrom look like they'll be LW, and Foudy a C.

BemstromDuboisAtkinson
TexierJennerBjorkstrand
FolignoFoudyAnderson
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Of course, we want more high-end scoring than that, so that's why Duchene would be a great add if we can keep it at or under $8m per.

BemstromDuboisAtkinson
TexierDucheneBjorkstrand
Foligno/JennerFoudyAnderson
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Dzingel would certainly help in the short run but I'm wary of offering 40 pt guys $5m+ long term, that sort of deal for a UFA forward is historically the worst performing, and it's not that hard to find a 40 pt LW. Bemstrom is on track to be that in a couple years and in the meantime I don't think Dzingel offers that much more than Foligno. He's slightly higher scoring but with a worse checking game. Jarmo of course is going to be looking around to where he can spend his chips to get more of a topline threat, and I think the cap space will be better used that way. Here I'm imagining something like the Panthers looking to free up salary for Bob and Bread, moving Huberdeau and Reimer.

HuberdeauDuboisAtkinson
TexierDucheneBjorkstrand
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: GoJackets1

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I'm not sure I understand how the CBJ are handling Eric Robinson. They call him up and he plays decently for a week. They don't do the paper move on trade deadline day that makes him eligible for the AHL playoffs. He has essentially been a healthy scratch ever since. Now he is part of the group that didn't even make the trip to Tampa with the rest of the team.

He may not be part of a long term solution for the team but it doesn't seem like his development is being handled very well over the last couple of months.

Yeah the non paper move was absolutely stupid. I’m not as high on him as some are but he should be playing and could be helping Cleveland right now. Not even sure Robinson would be the 2nd guy to go in after wennberg (I think that would be hannikainen). He should be helping Cleveland.

Hope we get Gavrikov signed

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I see our medium-term vacancies as

xxxxDuboisAtkinson
xxxxxxxxBjorkstrand
FolignoJennerAnderson
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
which is rather convenient because Texier and Bemstrom look like they'll be LW, and Foudy a C.

I'd characterize these needs as near term, like next season near. Bemstrom is under contract one more year and who knows if Foudy is ready to make the NHL.

BemstromDuboisAtkinson
TexierJennerBjorkstrand
FolignoFoudyAnderson
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Of course, we want more high-end scoring than that, so that's why Duchene would be a great add if we can keep it at or under $8m per.

Jenner as a 2C? Seems one line high. Duchene is near imperative if we want to avoid the "dumpster fire" scenario. I agree 8mm or less would be ideal but I don't think 8.5 breaks the bank.

BemstromDuboisAtkinson
TexierDucheneBjorkstrand
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Dzingel would certainly help in the short run but I'm wary of offering 40 pt guys $5m+ long term, that sort of deal for a UFA forward is historically the worst performing, and it's not that hard to find a 40 pt LW. Bemstrom is on track to be that in a couple years and in the meantime I don't think Dzingel offers that much more than Foligno. He's slightly higher scoring but with a worse checking game. Jarmo of course is going to be looking around to where he can spend his chips to get more of a topline threat, and I think the cap space will be better used that way. Here I'm imagining something like the Panthers looking to free up salary for Bob and Bread, moving Huberdeau and Reimer.

Dzingel had 56 pts this season. He is on a steady upward trend. 31 pts 2 years ago, 42 last season. Not sure he is a 40 pt guy. Also not sure he is a consistent 55-60 point guy. I see a similarity to Cam's growth. That deal has worked out. Maybe he takes 4mm for 7 years? I don't know. Its risky but without him I think we're one top 6 LW short next season.

HuberdeauDuboisAtkinson
TexierDucheneBjorkstrand
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Who do we trade for Huberdau? We're kind of out of picks and we sent our very good prospects who were considered expendable to Ottowa.

See my comments in body of quote.

You seem to bank on Foudy & Bemstrom being ready next year. Could be but we have a glut of signed guys that would have to be disposed of.

Bottom line to me is D&D need to be signed if next season is to be another playoff team. In my opinion we'd still be weak at top 6 LW with Tex & Dzingel but that could be solved down the road with more experience for them and when Bemstrom & Foudy are fully ready for the NHL.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
See my comments in body of quote.

You seem to bank on Foudy & Bemstrom being ready next year. Could be but we have a glut of signed guys that would have to be disposed of.

Bottom line to me is D&D need to be signed if next season is to be another playoff team. In my opinion we'd still be weak at top 6 LW with Tex & Dzingel but that could be solved down the road with more experience for them and when Bemstrom & Foudy are fully ready for the NHL.

I left that a little unclear, by medium term I meant starting the year following next year, so 2020-21. I would expect both Bemstrom and Foudy to be NHL ready at that point. I'm not really counting on any huge contribution from either one of them, both might be more like middle-six types, but that's the same expectation I have for Dzingel.

*Dzingel helps more next year, but I really doubt he's the difference between a playoff team and a non-playoff team. He's not that good of a player. I also wouldn't count the production earlier this year in Ottawa as the "norm" for him. It was outside the norm for both him and Duchene. They'd have to do it again for me to expect that going forward.

*Cam was much more established when he started his deal - he had 5 20 goal seasons and had proven himself in more situations. Dzingel has 2 20 goal seasons now, and not much else to bank on. If Dzingel had more than 4 goals as a Jacket I might be more inclined in his favor. I'm not seeing this upward trajectory, certainly not in Jackets games.

*Duchene at $8.5m is an overpay, and though we need that type of player badly next year, it could look really bad within just a few years. Another way to look at it - I don't expect Duchene to be one of our top 3 players over the course of that deal. I don't know who will be, or if they're already in the organization, but we'll need better players than that to be a very good team. And how many elite players can you afford if Duchene is eating up $8.5m? He probably won't even be our #1 C, so it's likely we'll have to pay Dubois an equal amount or more. I'd certainly consider Duchene at $8.5m, but there's a lot of long run concerns to work through.

*If Jarmo wants Huberdeau and he's available (I have no idea), then something like Nutivaara for Huberdeau + Reimer would be a simple base. With Panarin and Bob on board, the Panthers have 3 topline LWs, are way over budget, and still have a dire need for a top four D. Nuti fixes that and they save $6m in total salary (Huby is $6m and Reimer is the same as Nuti.)

Last edited:

pled

Sep 7, 2009
does his contract include an nhl thing or is he bound to play there again next year

pled

Sep 7, 2009
He can play in the NHL but not in the AHL.
will they give him a contract before camp ? idk he might leave for his shl camp if they don't it happened before. I guess its the same for Veini.

I hope Jarmo is still working on Gav, Tarasov and all of them even if the team is in playoff

Last edited:

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
No no no. Tex for Calder in 2019-2020 and Bemmy for Calder in 2020-2021 and Tarasov for Calder in 2021-2022.

They cannot make the team in the same year if we are going to nail the Calder Hatty! ;)

pled

Sep 7, 2009
No no no. Tex for Calder in 2019-2020 and Bemmy for Calder in 2020-2021 and Tarasov for Calder in 2021-2022.

They cannot make the team in the same year if we are going to nail the Calder Hatty! ;)
I honestly don't think any of them makes it other than if the team go full rebuilt and sign no ufa. Tarasov can play in the ahl and bemmy can just stay till the camp is done at least and if jarmo tell him there's no chance he makes the team he probably won't stay long this summer.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
VV with 30 saves in a 2-1 OT win, they are up 3-2 in the semis

No points for Bemstrom, but they won to go up 3-1 against the #1 seed in the semifinals.

Reactions: Jackets16

pled

Sep 7, 2009
thanks god with the russian situation here he could have want to stay in russia forever.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Hey Jackets fans, i'm looking for some insight on a few players who made their debut this season. What kind of player are they and what is their immediate and long-term outlook for an NHL future. Thanks!

Alexandre Texier
Kevin Stenlund
Kole Sherwood

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Hey Jackets fans, i'm looking for some insight on a few players who made their debut this season. What kind of player are they and what is their immediate and long-term outlook for an NHL future. Thanks!

Alexandre Texier
Kevin Stenlund
Kole Sherwood

Texier has great hands and vision, and he's a good skater too. He's already shown that he is very responsible at both ends and likely won't have as much trouble getting ice time. He's got wonderful hockey sense and I can see a bit of star potential there. He's going to be a top six scoring winger, maybe as soon as next year.

Stenlund is a big rangy guy with very soft hands and good vision. He can fool defenders and look like a star from time to time, but also has terrible scoring droughts. He's unlikely ever to be an above average skater. He'll be in and out of the lineup for another year at least. I think he'll eventually find an NHL job but it might be one of those situations where he can only break in on a shallow roster.

Sherwood is a pure sniper. He's very fast straight-ahead with an amazing wrist shot from the wing. He reminds me of Mike Hoffman with a little less puck and skating skill and more muscle. Sherwood is very strong but doesn't know how to use his strength yet. His brother Kiefer developed physicality late and Kole might do the same thing. If so I could see him as a bottom six guy who earns his way through grit and chips in double-digit goals.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Stenlund is a big rangy guy with very soft hands and good vision. He can fool defenders and look like a star from time to time, but also has terrible scoring droughts. He's unlikely ever to be an above average skater. He'll be in and out of the lineup for another year at least. I think he'll eventually find an NHL job but it might be one of those situations where he can only break in on a shallow roster.

He needs to play with good player to be usefull. In Cleveland he wasn't really. He could become what sam Gagner was for the jackets at least

Last edited:
Reactions: Legionnaire11

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I assume this means the same for Tex and we have to protect him now and the same situation applies for Vlad if we play him this playoff season.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I assume this means the same for Tex and we have to protect him now and the same situation applies for Vlad if we play him this playoff season.

I'm not sure about that Doggy. I think it has to do with age when ELC was signed. Tex is young enough that I think he will be exempt. I'll do some more digging.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I'm not sure about that Doggy. I think it has to do with age when ELC was signed. Tex is young enough that I think he will be exempt. I'll do some more digging.
'
5177950yDnL._SX357_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Texier was already in it after his ahl games but his contract can still slide if he play less than 10 games in the nhl

Last edited:

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I know this might not be the right place for this and tons can happen over the next two years but was already starting to think about our protection list for 2021 Seattle expansion draft.

Fs (7): Tex, Andy, Cam, PLD, OB, Boone, Dutch, Zinger (or whatever FAs we bring in to replace D&Z)
That's eight assuming Dutch and Zinger sign longterm with us. Someone from that list doesn't get protected.

Ds (3): Jonesy, Z, Nuti, Vlad
That's four (if Vlad is eligible)

Gs: Expecting our tandem to be some mix of Elvis, VV, Tarasov or maybe a veteran backup. Not sure Korpi is on this team in two years but every team has to make a goalie available for the draft so maybe they keep him around

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad