Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
tex might not need protection if the jackets lose in the playoff
Do his AHL games not count? That'd be nine games already played with a minimum of four more coming up here. Where is Viqsi's damn flowchart?

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Do his AHL games not count? That'd be nine games already played with a minimum of four more coming up here. Where is Viqsi's damn flowchart?
ahl games dont count for slide

also for vegas draft player that turned 20 before january during their slide ahl year had to be protected.

Texier won't turn 20 this season so I am 99% sure if he doesn't play 10 nhl game he doesn't have to be protected. Jarmo would knew more than us when he brought him over anyway

but if the if can help the team win 1-2 series it sucks but I like that more than caring about draft protection

Last edited:
Reactions: Jackets16

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I don't think Tex is an issue regardless of how many games he plays.

First and second-year professional players and unsigned draft picks are not eligible for the expansion draft and won't need to be protected

https://www.nbcsports.com/washingto...nsion-draft-date-time-whos-eligible-how-watch

Also this:

A Player aged 18 or 19 earns a year of professional experience by playing 10 or more NHL games in a given NHL season
A player aged 20 or older (based on age on December 31 of calendar year in which the season starts) earns a year of professional experience by playing 10 or more Professional Games under a standard player contract in a given League Year. –GeneralFanager.com

Clarification On Definition Of First And Second Year Professionals - SinBin.vegas
http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/expansion

Last edited:
Reactions: Monk

pled

Sep 7, 2009

https://www.nbcsports.com/washingto...nsion-draft-date-time-whos-eligible-how-watch
only player on an nhl contract count as professional player for that rule if the contract slide it doesn't count

exemple : Honka played all year in 14-15 15-16 16-17 but wasn't exempted because of is first year slided in the ahl. if the rule are the same Texier will be exempted if he slides.

Adding another exemple Fiala played 1 game with nashvile but because he was sent down to ahl is contract slided and he still was exempted even if he played in the nhl.

Hagg is another exemple of that.

Also the player that turn 20 before January of the year isn't exempt even if he slide.

player that contract slided but turned 20 in the early 2014 for vegas draft were not exempted.

Contract slide if the player turn 20 after 15 September.

Exemple: Mantha, Pulock, Carrier.

It's overly complicated but I pretty sure Jarmo knows it.

Texier, if he play less than 10 nhl game, is in a similar situation to fiala, Hagg, Honka and not Mantha, Pulock, Carrier.

Last edited:

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Honestly Im not too worried about losing anyone. No brand new GM will force us to give them one of our guys if we offer them a fair return in picks or prospects not to take or take someone we want them too. Making a power move like that to hurt another team while you get free roam poaching players from other teams is a great way to ruin qlready non existent relationships you need to build for trades and other issues.

Protection wise lets say we keep everyone (Bread, dutch, zingy, and Bob). A legit best case scenario then ill do a likely scenario.

Best case:
Cam
Pld
Dutch
Bread
Bjorkstrand
Anderson
Jenner

Jones
Z
Gavrikov (if needed, id not Nuti or Murray)
Peeke
Kukan

Savard im so f***ing torn on. He was always the guy who was just there for me never outstanding but never bad. What you want from a solid D minded guy. But him being a RHD at a good age and contract was always a guy I thought we could move and make a killing on. His playoffs have been amazing so it makes it hard being ok with that now but if we decide to keep all these guys and say have Peeke in the AHL 2 seasons while we figure out Murray and Savards future we may need to give something up to make sure that wall doesnt get poached and go down like the season 7 GoT finale.

Bob
Tarasov

The best thing we have is G depth and that might be huge for Seatle. We will likely have the beat young G available for them so we might be able to sway them that way and have them take a Elvis or Korpi to stay away from a Foligno and Murray.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

A Player aged 18 or 19 earns a year of professional experience by playing 10 or more NHL games in a given NHL season

This seems contradictory, my info is the same as your second sentence, that Tex becomes expansion draft eligible if he plays 5 more playoff games.

Also the player that turn 20 before January of the year isn't exempt even if he slide.

My understanding, also per Viqsi's chart, was that 20+ year olds still needed 10 NHL/AHL games to become expansion-draft-eligible. But Makar is supposedly becoming instantly expansion-draft-eligible after tonight's game (and maybe the same would happen if Gavrikov plays a game in these playoffs). I can't figure out the answer - Bob Mckenzie tweeted that Makar becomes expansion-draft-eligible tonight, but that's not at all what you'd think from reading the CBA.

Carrier, Mantha, and Pulock all had full AHL seasons in 2014-15, so it's obvious why they were expansion-draft-eligible in 2017.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
This seems contradictory, my info is the same as your second sentence, that Tex becomes expansion draft eligible if he plays 5 more playoff games.

My understanding, also per Viqsi's chart, was that 20 year olds still needed 10 NHL/AHL games to become expansion-draft-eligible. But Makar is supposedly becoming instantly expansion-draft-eligible after tonight's game (and maybe the same would happen if Gavrikov plays a game in these playoffs). I can't figure out the answer - Bob Mckenzie tweeted that Makar becomes expansion-draft-eligible tonight, but that's not at all what you'd think from reading the CBA.

Carrier, Mantha, and Pulock all had full AHL seasons in 2014-15, so it's obvious why they were expansion-draft-eligible in 2017.
the 10 nhl game rule was only made for general fangager purpose it was not a real rule.

and like I said before full ahl season change nothing, Hagg played a full ahl season and turned 20 in February and wasn't eligible. Pulock turned 20 before January and was available to draft.

Columbus doesn't have any 20 years old with contract slide anyway so the complicated thing doesn't affect the team.

Makar and Gav are older so they will be draft eligible if they play.

for texier since he isn't 20 yet the 10 nhl games/contract slide is what make or brake this

Last edited:
Reactions: Xoggz22

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
the 10 nhl game rule was only made for general fangager purpose it was not a real rule.

and like I said before full ahl season change nothing Hagg, played a full ahl season and turned 20 in February and wasnt eligible. Pulock turned 20 before January and was available to draft

for texier since he isn't 20 yet the 10 nhl games/contract slide is what make or brake this

What are the real rules? I see the examples but can you state the rules?

pled

Sep 7, 2009
What are the real rules? I see the examples but can you state the rules?
no I can't the rule were never made fully public I'm pretty sure. that's also why I said I was only 99% sure since I'm not Bettman. but if the exact same patter is applied to next draft those are the rule I guess. Generalfanager also had to make guesses before the draft since they didn't know the real rule.
the expansion draft definitely don't follow all public cba definitions. in the cba both hagg and pulock arent pro during their ahl year and in the draft just pulock is pro. so I don't think we have real rule book anywhere

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Honestly Im not too worried about losing anyone. No brand new GM will force us to give them one of our guys if we offer them a fair return in picks or prospects not to take or take someone we want them too. Making a power move like that to hurt another team while you get free roam poaching players from other teams is a great way to ruin qlready non existent relationships you need to build for trades and other issues.

Protection wise lets say we keep everyone (Bread, dutch, zingy, and Bob). A legit best case scenario then ill do a likely scenario.

Best case:
Cam
Pld
Dutch
Bread
Bjorkstrand
Anderson
Jenner

Jones
Z
Gavrikov (if needed, id not Nuti or Murray)
Peeke
Kukan

Savard im so ****ing torn on. He was always the guy who was just there for me never outstanding but never bad. What you want from a solid D minded guy. But him being a RHD at a good age and contract was always a guy I thought we could move and make a killing on. His playoffs have been amazing so it makes it hard being ok with that now but if we decide to keep all these guys and say have Peeke in the AHL 2 seasons while we figure out Murray and Savards future we may need to give something up to make sure that wall doesnt get poached and go down like the season 7 GoT finale.

Bob
Tarasov

The best thing we have is G depth and that might be huge for Seatle. We will likely have the beat young G available for them so we might be able to sway them that way and have them take a Elvis or Korpi to stay away from a Foligno and Murray.

By the time the 2021 expansion draft comes along, we'll have lost several of these guys for cap reasons.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
By the time the 2021 expansion draft comes along, we'll have lost several of these guys for cap reasons.
Honestly I only see Bread, Bob, Wennberg gone by then. And in those cases we have a plenty of money. I still have a little hope we keep Bob for a reasonable price. A team offering 7x9.5 so we offer 8x8.75 and a partial NTC.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Honestly I only see Bread, Bob, Wennberg gone by then. And in those cases we have a plenty of money. I still have a little hope we keep Bob for a reasonable price. A team offering 7x9.5 so we offer 8x8.75 and a partial NTC.

Well sure, if Panarin is gone.

In any case, the likely outcome in 2021 is that we lose our 4th most wanted D-man. We have too many forwards to protect so we can't do 4F - 4D, it will be 7 - 3, and we'll have some good D to choose from. And of course when that time comes people will say "better trade him before the draft", and I'll be saying "no, they'll just take our next best D, we should get more not less" (mirroring the discussion from last time).

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Well sure, if Panarin is gone.

In any case, the likely outcome in 2021 is that we lose our 4th most wanted D-man. We have too many forwards to protect so we can't do 4F - 4D, it will be 7 - 3, and we'll have some good D to choose from. And of course when that time comes people will say "better trade him before the draft", and I'll be saying "no, they'll just take our next best D, we should get more not less" (mirroring the discussion from last time).
Or we give them a 2nd and a 4th to take a Dzingle or a Korpisalo. We will give them picks and prospects before they get one of Nuti Gavrikov Jones or Z.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Or we give them a 2nd and a 4th to take a Dzingle or a Korpisalo. We will give them picks and prospects before they get one of Nuti Gavrikov Jones or Z.

If you're Seattle, and you have a chance to get your best D-man from the Jackets, I doubt you would pass on that for a draft pick. Maybe if they have a particularly strong liking for a player at a different position.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
If you're Seattle, and you have a chance to get your best D-man from the Jackets, I doubt you would pass on that for a draft pick. Maybe if they have a particularly strong liking for a player at a different position.
Look at the previous expansion. As a new GM you dont want to ruin relationships with GMs before you even have a practice by strong arming one of their best players away. They are more likely to take futures to pick a specific guy and make a deal then to say we are taking 4th D unless its like a Savard we are angling to move to bring up a Peeke.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Look at the previous expansion. As a new GM you dont want to ruin relationships with GMs before you even have a practice by strong arming one of their best players away. They are more likely to take futures to pick a specific guy and make a deal then to say we are taking 4th D unless its like a Savard we are angling to move to bring up a Peeke.

I don't think McPhee was just being nice. It's not "strong arming" to take the best player you are entitled to take.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I don't think McPhee was just being nice. It's not "strong arming" to take the best player you are entitled to take.
The GMs all know the way the draft is set up is bullshit. They want to do their beat to make relationships early so that in the draft they can get deals and then the following TDL they can sell their free pieces for more future. Do you think they would rather have Karlson over Andy, Murray, or Korpi? Of course not. Yeah he had a huge first year then fell hard back to earth and put up like 50pts on 1st line minutes and top PP. Hes still a 2/3 C while Anderson is the best young power foward in hockey.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

If Bread & Bob are gone I don't think the cap is a real problem. Re-signing Foligno might be an issue but other than that I think we're ok if guys don't want McDavid $.

Reactions: mikeyp24

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

and like I said before full ahl season change nothing, Hagg played a full ahl season and turned 20 in February and wasn't eligible. Pulock turned 20 before January and was available to draft.

Columbus doesn't have any 20 years old with contract slide anyway so the complicated thing doesn't affect the team.

Makar and Gav are older so they will be draft eligible if they play.

Gavrikov is identical to Panarin. Unless he plays 10 NHL games this season he will only have 2 years by the end of 20-21 season and won't be eligible because his KHL games were played while NOT under an NHL contract.

Texier is in basically the same boat. If he plays 10 NHL game this season and likewise the next two he will have to be protected. Looks like he is going to play 10 barring an injury or him regressing tremendously.

My guess is that it will be D that is selected. Jones & Z will be protected. The third one is anyone's
guess at this point.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Gavrikov is identical to Panarin. Unless he plays 10 NHL games this season he will only have 2 years by the end of 20-21 season and won't be eligible because his KHL games were played while NOT under an NHL contract.

Texier is in basically the same boat. If he plays 10 NHL game this season and likewise the next two he will have to be protected. Looks like he is going to play 10 barring an injury or him regressing tremendously.

My guess is that it will be D that is selected. Jones & Z will be protected. The third one is anyone's
guess at this point.
Gav only need 1 game to be eligible not 10. The 10 games rule is for under 20 guys only.

Panarin never signed a 2014-15 contract so it's not similar anyway

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Gav only need 1 game to be eligible not 10. The 10 games rule is for under 20 guys only.

Panarin never signed a 2014-15 contract so it's not similar anyway

Unless you know the real rules I don't agree about the 1 game counting as a season.

As far as Panarin goes the point was that the KHL seasons didn't count and shouldn't for Gavrikov either. Panarin wasn't eligible to be drafted becasue he hadn't played 3 years in the NHL.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Unless you know the real rules I don't agree about the 1 game counting as a season.

As far as Panarin goes the point was that the KHL seasons didn't count and shouldn't for Gavrikov either. Panarin wasn't eligible to be drafted becasue he hadn't played 3 years in the NHL.
But gav can play this year and all pro sourced said that Makar, gav or any sign eill be available if they play one game. Panarin was never in that situation

And reinhart didnt play 10 games in 14-15 and still was drafted by vegas

another example if you want. Andrew Copp only played 1 game with Winnipeg after his ncaa season and Winnipeg had to protect him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad