Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Veini Vehvilainen sweeps the first round against Ilves, .943% 1.50 GAA
I bet if VV's season was over he would have jumped the pond and been more than happy to get some NA ice time in Cleveland. I am an Elvis fan but this attitude he has taken about "NHL or bust...no AHL for him" pisses me off.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
I bet if VV's season was over he would have jumped the pond and been more than happy to get some NA ice time in Cleveland. I am an Elvis fan but this attitude he has taken about "NHL or bust...no AHL for him" pisses me off.

not me, at all. absolutely love his confidence. he plays a position that requires a full amount of it.

love it. I'm a big believer in Elvis and have been since we drafted him.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Yeah, this whole contract approach by Elvis has me second guessing him a bit. Goalies should be confident but, to me, if he is confident he should go take the net in Cleveland and show off his stuff. Negotiating to sit in the press box doesn't convey confidence to me.

I realize it's a different position and they are different ages, but loved Zach's approach when he left UM and would have loved to see something similar from Elvis.

Reactions: Doggy and Jackets16

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I’m in the middle. I would have liked him to get used to NA ice and have a taste of the pro life over here. But, I understand he is older, has already went through a long season and playoff run, and there is still value being around his future teammates and learning the area. However, he better be ready to go next season. He’s going into camp as the backup, not the starter, and he has to earn his minutes.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Yeah, this whole contract approach by Elvis has me second guessing him a bit. Goalies should be confident but, to me, if he is confident he should go take the net in Cleveland and show off his stuff. Negotiating to sit in the press box doesn't convey confidence to me.

I realize it's a different position and they are different ages, but loved Zach's approach when he left UM and would have loved to see something similar from Elvis.

If he thinks he is so good, he should go prove it. I don't like players who don't want to play whenever they get the chance. If you are so good, go dominate the AHL and prove it.

Reactions: Nanabijou

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
But, I understand he is older, has already went through a long season and playoff run
Maybe I am just a crotchety old man.

He's not old at 25...he's just hitting his prime. He didn't play a ton of games...just 47 (including playoffs). 19 NHL goalies have already started 45 - 64 games this season and ten of those will play in the playoffs. He's just on the cusp of playing an NHL workload, he's gotta be able to handle more. Get your ass on the ice and play. This "I prefer burning my ELC sitting in the press box because I am too good for the AHL" is BS. It's Wide Receiver Diva-ish. Don't like it one bit.

I like Elvis' potential a lot but he has no real experience on the smaller ice surface and this would have been an opportunity (splitting time in the AHL) showing his new organization and teammates he wants to be "the man" and ready to go when training camp opens next season.

Now get off my lawn!

Reactions: Nanabijou

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Tex had zero points last night when team scored six. He sucks!

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Maybe I am just a crotchety old man.

He's not old at 25...he's just hitting his prime. He didn't play a ton of games...just 47 (including playoffs). 19 NHL goalies have already started 45 - 64 games this season and ten of those will play in the playoffs. He's just on the cusp of playing an NHL workload, he's gotta be able to handle more. Get your ass on the ice and play. This "I prefer burning my ELC sitting in the press box because I am too good for the AHL" is BS. It's Wide Receiver Diva-ish. Don't like it one bit.

I like Elvis' potential a lot but he has no real experience on the smaller ice surface and this would have been an opportunity (splitting time in the AHL) showing his new organization and teammates he wants to be "the man" and ready to go when training camp opens next season.

Now get off my lawn!

Yeah, I get you. I really have nothing to say you're wrong or anything like that, I just am in the middle. He's definitely making a statement and putting a microscope on himself next season. But all of our reservations will go away quickly if he's the goods.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I'm amazed at how many people think playing in the AHL is so important. Europeans who play professionally for multiple years shouldn't have to prove themselves in an inferior league to where they came from. They are either ready or they are not.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I'm amazed at how many people think playing in the AHL is so important. Europeans who play professionally for multiple years shouldn't have to prove themselves in an inferior league to where they came from. They are either ready or they are not.
Im amazed at how many people seem to forget how different hockey in NA vs Europe is. Its about getting used to things like having less time and space, physicality and angles for goalies

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Im amazed at how many people seem to forget how different hockey in NA vs Europe is. Its about getting used to things like having less time and space, physicality and angles for goalies
I think that is all a bit overrated. The NHL is now a game built on speed. European leagues are already fast because there is more space. If a goalie can handle the openness of those leagues, smaller NHL ice should be a non issue. The bigger impacts are around the tactics that coaches use to defend in the space but speed and skill is still speed and skill no matter what size the ice is.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Its not the lesser league though the non prospects in those leaguea arent better then everyday AHL players they are same level but players and coaches all say the AHL and NCAA are the best places to play to truly learn the NHL game and to be if you want to actually be NHL ready.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Tex had two tonight. Nice shooting Tex
upload_2019-4-3_22-22-48.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->