Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
So it’s a long way away but CBJ prospects we expect to see on their WJC teams are: Hjorth (SWE) Chinakhov (RUS) Knazko (SVK).

Wonder if it ends up happening?

Yeah, it’s happening. A bubble in Edmonton

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I made a quick effort at a prospect ranking, using the old HF ranking system.

Andrew Peeke, RD, Columbus/Cleveland -- 7.0B
Liam Foudy, LW, Columbus/Cleveland -- 7.0B
Dmitri Voronkov, C, Kazan -- 7.0B
Yegor Chinakhov, W, Omsk -- 7.5C
Kirill Marchenko, RW, St. Petersburg -- 8.0D

Daniil Tarasov, G, Ufa -- 8.0D
Trey Fix-Wolansky, RW, Cleveland -- 7.0C
Tim Berni, LD, Zurich -- 7.0C

Samuel Johannesson, RD, Rogle -- 7.0D
OJB Holm, LD, Mississaugu -- 6.5C
Eric Hjorth, RD, Sarnia -- 7.0D
Samuel Knazko, LD, TPS Jr. -- 7.0D
Jacob Christiansen, LD, Cleveland -- 7.0D
Veini Vehvilainen, G, Cleveland -- 6.5B

Mikael Pyyhtia, C/LW, TPS Jr. -- 7.0D
Kole Sherwood, RW, Cleveland -- 6.0C
Tyler Angle, LW, Windsor -- 6.0C
Matiss Kivlenieks, G, Cleveland -- 6.5C
Gabriel Carlsson, LD, Cleveland -- 6.0B

The ranking system is:

8.0 - topliner, top pair, good starting goalie
7.0 - second liner, second pair, low end 1B goalie
6.0 - third liner, third pair, pure backup
5.0 - fourth liner, spare D

A - will make this upside
B - will either make this upside or next tier down
C - could slide down two tiers
D - could slide down three tiers

Reactions: rotsbu and Viqsi

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Never mind, someone posted this tweet in the draft thread. I assumed this should go in the prospects thread :)

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I made a quick effort at a prospect ranking, using the old HF ranking system.

Andrew Peeke, RD, Columbus/Cleveland -- 7.0B
Liam Foudy, LW, Columbus/Cleveland -- 7.0B
Dmitri Voronkov, C, Kazan -- 7.0B
Yegor Chinakhov, W, Omsk -- 7.5C
Kirill Marchenko, RW, St. Petersburg -- 8.0D

Daniil Tarasov, G, Ufa -- 8.0D
Trey Fix-Wolansky, RW, Cleveland -- 7.0C
Tim Berni, LD, Zurich -- 7.0C

Samuel Johannesson, RD, Rogle -- 7.0D
OJB Holm, LD, Mississaugu -- 6.5C
Eric Hjorth, RD, Sarnia -- 7.0D
Samuel Knazko, LD, TPS Jr. -- 7.0D
Jacob Christiansen, LD, Cleveland -- 7.0D
Veini Vehvilainen, G, Cleveland -- 6.5B

Mikael Pyyhtia, C/LW, TPS Jr. -- 7.0D
Kole Sherwood, RW, Cleveland -- 6.0C
Tyler Angle, LW, Windsor -- 6.0C
Matiss Kivlenieks, G, Cleveland -- 6.5C
Gabriel Carlsson, LD, Cleveland -- 6.0B

The ranking system is:

8.0 - topliner, top pair, good starting goalie
7.0 - second liner, second pair, low end 1B goalie
6.0 - third liner, third pair, pure backup
5.0 - fourth liner, spare D

A - will make this upside
B - will either make this upside or next tier down
C - could slide down two tiers
D - could slide down three tiers
Forgot about Christiansen, we have some boom or bust offensive guys on the back end and Berni being a little safer guy atleast. Wildcards up front of course include the Russians but Fix-Wolansky is a guy I maybe hold a little higher in my mind than others but you may in the same boat to some degree. He might be another Calvert type but hopefully his offense transitions to the big leagues a little better

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Forgot about Christiansen, we have some boom or bust offensive guys on the back end and Berni being a little safer guy atleast. Wildcards up front of course include the Russians but Fix-Wolansky is a guy I maybe hold a little higher in my mind than others but you may in the same boat to some degree. He might be another Calvert type but hopefully his offense transitions to the big leagues a little better

Yes, that's what I learned from this exercise - we have a lot of 7.0D type of defensemen. Guys that I don't expect to make it individually but there's enough of them. It's a reasonable guess that we'll get a middle pair guy and a bottom pair guy out of that group.

I love everything I know about Trey Fix-Wolansky, but there's a lot I don't know. Do you think he can be a Calvert type if he doesn't come through as a scorer? He's stocky and quick but I haven't seen enough to know whether he's a safe guy.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Yes, that's what I learned from this exercise - we have a lot of 7.0D type of defensemen. Guys that I don't expect to make it individually but there's enough of them. It's a reasonable guess that we'll get a middle pair guy and a bottom pair guy out of that group.

I love everything I know about Trey Fix-Wolansky, but there's a lot I don't know. Do you think he can be a Calvert type if he doesn't come through as a scorer? He's stocky and quick but I haven't seen enough to know whether he's a safe guy.
I guess its hard to say safe to any 5'7" guy or whatever he officially is but yeah he is huge for his height. He's got one of those non stop motors from everything Ive ever seen so at worst I think he could be that never quit 4th line pest but as we saw in the AHL when he gets his chance he usually capitalizes. I dont know that he'll be a 2nd line guy but Im certainly pulling for him

EDIT: Most of what I saw about his AHL production is stat watching as I didnt really watch much of Cleveland this year. Most of my opinion comes from watching him in the WHL

Reactions: majormajor

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com

There’s nothing that says he doesn’t have an NHL clause. I personally think it’s 90% with NHL release clause

I don't think it will have an out clause, but also have to remember that KHL extensions are actually not extensions, but entirely new contracts, which means the cancellation of the remaining part of the current contract. Therefore this 3 year deal will effectively mean it will run through 2022/23, so not exactly "draft+5" like that tweet is saying..

Reactions: Cowumbus

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
It would be extremely dumb on his part to get selected in the first round and then delay his NHL debut for a few years.

Hopefully Jarmo calls him or his agent to clarify this situation. It’s likely that Omsk was impressed with his play and threw a lot of money at him. For a 19 year old it’s rather exciting and he’s not thinking clearly

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Are there any rules in the KHL where a player has to play a certain amount of years in the league before they can sign in the NHL and be able to return if things don't work out? In Japan for baseball, they have a similar rule regarding going to the MLB. I think if you choose MLB before you play in Japan, you have to sit out a year before you're reinstated. So if you suck and no MLB team wants you, have to wait a year as a punishment. I wonder if the KHL makes these threats (rules).

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Are there any rules in the KHL where a player has to play a certain amount of years in the league before they can sign in the NHL and be able to return if things don't work out? In Japan for baseball, they have a similar rule regarding going to the MLB. I think if you choose MLB before you play in Japan, you have to sit out a year before you're reinstated. So if you suck and no MLB team wants you, have to wait a year as a punishment. I wonder if the KHL makes these threats (rules).
As far as I know, players can’t sign in the NHL if they have an active KHL contract unless there’s a release clause. There’s the same contract clauses in some NHL contracts to be sent back to Russia rather than AHL

Reactions: punk_o_holic

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
I'm seriously doubting the extension would have an NHL out clause, if it even exists in the KHL. I'm betting Avansgard Omsk isn't wanting one in there, and why would they?

It's pretty smart thinking of Avansgard Omsk to try and convince him to sign a 3 year deal, right after being drafted in the 1st round. I'd try to get that deal done sooner rather than waiting as well.

I personally wouldn't mind if he spent the next one to two years in the KHL. The 3 year extension is a bit heartbreaking though.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad