Status
Not open for further replies.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite

This is from Yegor's agent...

Looks like we caught a little bit of a break and some of us (including myself) started freaking out a little too early.

I believe this is what we were all hoping for. Re-assess the situation come April 2021

im pretty sure that’s what he’s said all along

rotsbu

Feb 14, 2020
I made a quick effort at a prospect ranking, using the old HF ranking system.

Andrew Peeke, RD, Columbus/Cleveland -- 7.0B
Liam Foudy, LW, Columbus/Cleveland -- 7.0B
Dmitri Voronkov, C, Kazan -- 7.0B
Yegor Chinakhov, W, Omsk -- 7.5C
Kirill Marchenko, RW, St. Petersburg -- 8.0D

Daniil Tarasov, G, Ufa -- 8.0D
Trey Fix-Wolansky, RW, Cleveland -- 7.0C
Tim Berni, LD, Zurich -- 7.0C

Samuel Johannesson, RD, Rogle -- 7.0D
OJB Holm, LD, Mississaugu -- 6.5C
Eric Hjorth, RD, Sarnia -- 7.0D
Samuel Knazko, LD, TPS Jr. -- 7.0D
Jacob Christiansen, LD, Cleveland -- 7.0D
Veini Vehvilainen, G, Cleveland -- 6.5B

Mikael Pyyhtia, C/LW, TPS Jr. -- 7.0D
Kole Sherwood, RW, Cleveland -- 6.0C
Tyler Angle, LW, Windsor -- 6.0C
Matiss Kivlenieks, G, Cleveland -- 6.5C
Gabriel Carlsson, LD, Cleveland -- 6.0B

The ranking system is:

8.0 - topliner, top pair, good starting goalie
7.0 - second liner, second pair, low end 1B goalie
6.0 - third liner, third pair, pure backup
5.0 - fourth liner, spare D

A - will make this upside
B - will either make this upside or next tier down
C - could slide down two tiers
D - could slide down three tiers

I know relatively little about our team's prospects and nothing about this rating system. With that out of the way, what is it about Tarasov that he could slide three tiers? Wasn't expecting to see that range of outcomes for him. Thanks in advance!

AndBoomGoesTheCannon

Feb 21, 2019
Cleveland, OH

Looks like we caught a little bit of a break and some of us (including myself) started freaking out a little too early.

I believe this is what we were all hoping for. Re-assess the situation come April 2021

Makes sense for Yegor and CBJ especially as it provides more flexibility for the future. If Yegor is able to maintain his current pace in the KHL, we very well may want to bring him over next season. If he fizzles out a bit, then it's likely CBJ may prefer he stays in KHL for another season or two.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I know relatively little about our team's prospects and nothing about this rating system. With that out of the way, what is it about Tarasov that he could slide three tiers? Wasn't expecting to see that range of outcomes for him. Thanks in advance!

I've seen him play but I'm not a proper judge of goalies, I'm really going off of 1) what media scouts say, and 2) the fact that Tarasov hasn't had a strong year yet at the KHL/SHL/AHL level or even the Liiga level. It's all been leagues a couple rungs down. Not much has changed in the last couple years for Tarasov. It wouldn't be strange for him as a goalie to meander around for another couple years and then "pop" as a 23-24 year old, and it wouldn't be strange for him to never make the NHL.

Reactions: rotsbu

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I've seen that some folks have ranked Bemstrom and Stenlund alongside our prospects and have Bemstrom in that tier of guys with Marchenko, Peeke, Foudy, etc..., or even below that tier. If I'm including guys that played part of last year in the NHL, then Bemstrom and Texier are in a tier together above all of the other prospects. Just my opinion but both of those guys have a bit of topliner upside and obviously they are relatively safe, and that's altogether worth more than Peeke, Foudy, or any of the Russians.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Malgin, Kurashev und Co. verstärken die NL-Klubs – Glücksfall oder Zusatzrisiko?

I missed that.
I always wondered why the ZSC Lions are playing Berni while keeping Suter and Benson in their farm team.

Apparently the deal is that he'll attend nhl camps but will return to the Lions should he not make the nhl roster.

Surprising twist since Berni said that he'll be patient and stay in the organization no matter what. I guess in this unique situation it makes sense to change that plan though. Ahl season even more in doubt than the nhl season anyway.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I made a quick effort at a prospect ranking, using the old HF ranking system.

Andrew Peeke, RD, Columbus/Cleveland -- 7.0B
Liam Foudy, LW, Columbus/Cleveland -- 7.0B
Dmitri Voronkov, C, Kazan -- 7.0B
Yegor Chinakhov, W, Omsk -- 7.5C
Kirill Marchenko, RW, St. Petersburg -- 8.0D

Daniil Tarasov, G, Ufa -- 8.0D
Trey Fix-Wolansky, RW, Cleveland -- 7.0C
Tim Berni, LD, Zurich -- 7.0C

Samuel Johannesson, RD, Rogle -- 7.0D
OJB Holm, LD, Mississaugu -- 6.5C
Eric Hjorth, RD, Sarnia -- 7.0D
Samuel Knazko, LD, TPS Jr. -- 7.0D
Jacob Christiansen, LD, Cleveland -- 7.0D
Veini Vehvilainen, G, Cleveland -- 6.5B

Mikael Pyyhtia, C/LW, TPS Jr. -- 7.0D
Kole Sherwood, RW, Cleveland -- 6.0C
Tyler Angle, LW, Windsor -- 6.0C
Matiss Kivlenieks, G, Cleveland -- 6.5C
Gabriel Carlsson, LD, Cleveland -- 6.0B

The ranking system is:

8.0 - topliner, top pair, good starting goalie
7.0 - second liner, second pair, low end 1B goalie
6.0 - third liner, third pair, pure backup
5.0 - fourth liner, spare D

A - will make this upside
B - will either make this upside or next tier down
C - could slide down two tiers
D - could slide down three tiers
Have we heard where Tyler Angle Will be playing this season? I’m hoping AHL.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Here are my groupings. I am going back about 5 drafts for my prospects.

Are they still prospects? Guys that are young with some NHL experience:
Tex
Bemstrom
Peake
Foudy

Russians that look legit:
Voronkov
Marchenko
Chinakhov

More goalies with names Rimer can’t pronounce in the pipeline:
Vehvilainen
Tarasov

AHL callups:
Fix-Wolansky
Sherwood
Carlsson
Thurkauf

Bunch of late round Europeans:
Berni
Hjorth
Knazko
Pyyhtia
Johannesson
Bjorgvik-Holm
Karlberg (what’s up with this guy?)

Some Canadians:
Christiansen
Angle

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
So they sent Marchenko to the MHL to get in shape after COVID, and he scored 3+3 in 4 periods. It's vs one of the worst MHL teams, of course, but still.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Here are my groupings. I am going back about 5 drafts for my prospects.

Are they still prospects? Guys that are young with some NHL experience:
Tex
Bemstrom
Peake
Foudy

Russians that look legit:
Voronkov
Marchenko
Chinakhov

More goalies with names Rimer can’t pronounce in the pipeline:
Vehvilainen
Tarasov

AHL callups:
Fix-Wolansky
Sherwood
Carlsson
Thurkauf

Bunch of late round Europeans:
Berni
Hjorth
Knazko
Pyyhtia
Johannesson
Bjorgvik-Holm
Karlberg (what’s up with this guy?)

Some Canadians:
Christiansen
Angle

You forgot Kivlenieks, I forgot Thurkauf. I remembered Karlberg but I've written him off already.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Do we even know if the AHL season is happening? It'd be hard to operate at ~15-20% capacity. They're so reliant on gate revenue.
The AHL website says Dec. 4 is the anticipated start date. The Monsters have sent us nothing on whether there will be a season or not, or any kind of guidelines.

Reactions: DarkandStormy

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah, they're playing on the same line, along with Khusnutdinov. A little bit too much for the MHL, honestly.

We have a lot of prospects that would look good in the MHL playing next to Khusnutdinov.

Do you have a read on how Marchenko is developing? I only see the stats and the highlights, and I hear his defensive game is bad.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
We have a lot of prospects that would look good in the MHL playing next to Khusnutdinov.

Do you have a read on how Marchenko is developing? I only see the stats and the highlights, and I hear his defensive game is bad.

Well, he's a KHL starter at the age of 20. He's clearly head & shoulders & another head above the MHL level. I think, he'll eventually become a solid top6 NHL winger. Great skater and stickhandler with a very good shot, and he's 6'2. I think, he'll be NHL ready in 2022, when his SKA contract is over.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Let's hope he does it, then, and then he can come over here and try for a bigger trophy.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
You forgot Kivlenieks, I forgot Thurkauf. I remembered Karlberg but I've written him off already.

Speaking of Thurkauf...he has a goal and an assist each in 3 games playing on the 3rd line with Oilers prospect McLeod.

His assist. Wins a puck battle on the PK.

Deflection in front of the net ended up being the gamewinner.

Reactions: majormajor

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

I actually decided to leave Kivlenieks off because although he wasn’t drafted, I think he would have been 2015 draft class. And I was looking at last 5 draft classes.

The guy I left off by my criteria was Thome. Kind of because I don’t see him ever playing for the CBJ and kind of because I think Rimer could pronounce his name because of Jim Thome. And he is an American so he didn’t fit my other buckets.

Cutoffs for prospects are difficult especially for goalies and defensemen. And then you have college guys that played juniors and graduate at 23 or 24 — are they prospects? Bayreuther is 26 but is kind of a prospect. So I figured 5 draft classes was as good of a way to do it as any. And I excluded PLD because he is obviously not a prospect. But I included Carlsson so I am not really consistent. My list was half joking / half how I think of our prospects.

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I actually decided to leave Kivlenieks off because although he wasn’t drafted, I think he would have been 2015 draft class. And I was looking at last 5 draft classes.

The guy I left off by my criteria was Thome. Kind of because I don’t see him ever playing for the CBJ and kind of because I think Rimer could pronounce his name because of Jim Thome. And he is an American so he didn’t fit my other buckets.

Cutoffs for prospects are difficult especially for goalies and defensemen. And then you have college guys that played juniors and graduate at 23 or 24 — are they prospects? Bayreuther is 26 but is kind of a prospect. So I figured 5 draft classes was as good of a way to do it as any. And I excluded PLD because he is obviously not a prospect. But I included Carlsson so I am not really consistent. My list was half joking / half how I think of our prospects.

I generally try and avoid grouping players by nationality but truth be told your assessment is pretty well done. What it lacks in nuance it makes up for in readability.

Reactions: koteka
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad