Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
No joke, and I expect whoever we draft this year to go at the top of the list. If Texier was still a prospect he'd be a clear #1 prospect, for me none of this year's leftovers are on that tier.
He may not have been joking but its still funny.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I think the biggest issue in prospect ranking will be the rules for which of the young guys are considered prospects.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think the biggest issue in prospect ranking will be the rules for which of the young guys are considered prospects.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought we used Calder eligibility to determine who counts as prospects.

So Stenlund and Bemstrom would no longer be considered prospects, they both played well over 25 games this past season.

Maybe it was some other criteria.

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
What was HF criteria?
A player will be considered a prospect until he meets the following criteria:
  1. If a prospect is a skater (forward, defenseman) and has played in 65 NHL games or more before the completion of the season of his 24th birthday; or, if a goaltender has played in 45 NHL games before the completion of the season of his 24th birthday, that player will be considered graduated to the NHL. Conversely, if a player completes the season of his 24th birthday without passing those milestones, then that player will no longer be considered a prospect by Hockey’s Future, regardless of the player’s status with his NHL club.
  2. An NCAA player who signs his first contract at or above the age of 22 has three years to meet the above criteria (65/45), while those NCAA players that turn pro under the age of 22 will be subjected to the criteria above.
  3. European players who sign their first NHL contract at or above the age of 22 have three seasons from the time they sign that contract to meet the above criteria. Those European players below the age of 22 that have signed a NHL contract will be subjected to the criteria in section one.
Section one is the meat of the criteria as it will govern the majority of players that vie for a NHL roster spot. Sections two and three are simply an acknowledgement that some prospects arrive on the scene a bit later than their peers, thus needing some time past their 24th birthday to develop into an NHL-caliber player.
The graduated list on team pages will consist of players who are considered graduated to the NHL. A skater prospect may sit on the graduated list until he has played 130 games in the NHL. A goalie prospect may sit on the graduated list until he has played 90 games in the NHL.
NOTE: These are general guidelines and should be followed the majority of the time but certain players may still be listed as prospects if circumstances warrant.

SOURCE

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
A player will be considered a prospect until he meets the following criteria:
  1. If a prospect is a skater (forward, defenseman) and has played in 65 NHL games or more before the completion of the season of his 24th birthday; or, if a goaltender has played in 45 NHL games before the completion of the season of his 24th birthday, that player will be considered graduated to the NHL. Conversely, if a player completes the season of his 24th birthday without passing those milestones, then that player will no longer be considered a prospect by Hockey’s Future, regardless of the player’s status with his NHL club.
  2. An NCAA player who signs his first contract at or above the age of 22 has three years to meet the above criteria (65/45), while those NCAA players that turn pro under the age of 22 will be subjected to the criteria above.
  3. European players who sign their first NHL contract at or above the age of 22 have three seasons from the time they sign that contract to meet the above criteria. Those European players below the age of 22 that have signed a NHL contract will be subjected to the criteria in section one.
Section one is the meat of the criteria as it will govern the majority of players that vie for a NHL roster spot. Sections two and three are simply an acknowledgement that some prospects arrive on the scene a bit later than their peers, thus needing some time past their 24th birthday to develop into an NHL-caliber player.
The graduated list on team pages will consist of players who are considered graduated to the NHL. A skater prospect may sit on the graduated list until he has played 130 games in the NHL. A goalie prospect may sit on the graduated list until he has played 90 games in the NHL.
NOTE: These are general guidelines and should be followed the majority of the time but certain players may still be listed as prospects if circumstances warrant.

SOURCE

Thanks.

That's fine by me, I'm fine with whatever criteria as long as we are consistent.

This criteria would mean that as of this moment not only are Stenlund (38 NHL games) and Bemstrom (61 NHL games) prospects, but Texier also is still a prospect (56 NHL games). We've got a new #1! Vast improvement! :laugh: Futures looking up folks.

Funny enough Stenlund will be 24 in a matter of hours. :popcorn:
But I think that would make next year his 24 year old season, so he will still count.

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
Elvis would also be eligible, because he signed his first NHL contract less than three years ago and he's only played 35 games. Suddenly the prospect pool looks great.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
To me if the guy many here think is our 2c or perhaps our top LW is considered a prospect then I think any evaluation of our prospect pool is suspect and we are just making ourselves feel beter than we should re: prospects. Same logic goes for Elvis & Bemstrom imo. They are so close to the max # of games they will pass it early next season. I expect lots of flack but hey opinions are just that.

Reactions: Doggy

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I saw that Sherwood has signed his qualifying offer and the club has loaned him to Kunlun Red Star. Kunlun is the Beijing based team that, last I heard, is playing it's home games in Russia because China has closed the border to keep the virus out. A couple things about this:

- Why send Sherwood to Kunlun? It took me a second to figure it out. Kunlun is loaded up with players with Asian / part Asian heritage to try and get more fan interest in China.

- Several KHL teams are currently riddled with the virus, so I would not be pleased about that if I was Kole. It seems like poor timing to send a player there.

- Speaking of the coronavirus in Russia. This is scary stuff. I'm not afraid of our guys dying of it, it hasn't killed any athletes that I know of. But some viruses stay in the body and some of them do weird stuff years later (HIV, HPV, Shingles, etc..).

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Sherwood is lucky to have gotten a contract with an NHL team in the first place. If the team wanted him to go play to stay ready, it was probably smart for him to go.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I saw that Sherwood has signed his qualifying offer and the club has loaned him to Kunlun Red Star. Kunlun is the Beijing based team that, last I heard, is playing it's home games in Russia because China has closed the border to keep the virus out. A couple things about this:

- Why send Sherwood to Kunlun? It took me a second to figure it out. Kunlun is loaded up with players with Asian / part Asian heritage to try and get more fan interest in China.

- Several KHL teams are currently riddled with the virus, so I would not be pleased about that if I was Kole. It seems like poor timing to send a player there.

- Speaking of the coronavirus in Russia. This is scary stuff. I'm not afraid of our guys dying of it, it hasn't killed any athletes that I know of. But some viruses stay in the body and some of them do weird stuff years later (HIV, HPV, Shingles, etc..).
What’s happening in the KHL is very likely to happen in the NHL as well when and if the season starts, you can’t keep them in the bubble or make them not go outside their training facilities or arenas. Heck, even the president himself got it

rotsbu

Feb 14, 2020
What’s happening in the KHL is very likely to happen in the NHL as well when and if the season starts, you can’t keep them in the bubble or make them not go outside their training facilities or arenas. Heck, even the president himself got it

Similarly, look at what happened in the MLB regular season and is now occurring in the NFL vs. the playoff bubble in the NHL and NBA. Certainly not going to be easy to have a semi-normal/non-bubble-based regular season beginning in about 3 months

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
The younger players need to be playing. In another few months, who knows what will be happening and if the season will be able to start in December. Loaning players overseas at least gets them some games in.

Finland might be a better option since they're doing a good job at containing the virus, but team likely don't have unlimited spots for temporary NHL prospects.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

It won't be easy for the NHL either, but there is a big difference between having 50% of players come down with it and having 5%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad