Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
the two team are in different semi so we might have the 3 cbj player in the final.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Between World Juniors and getting caught up in Elvis mania, has anyone noticed Tarasov's continued strong development and play in Finland?

Statistically speaking...

Six starts and one relief appearance in December: stopped 138 of 148 shots for a .9367 Save Percentage and minuscule 1.61 GAA. After his rough rough start (games two and three way back in September) he has really steadied and developed. He now ranks 8th in Save Percentage and 10th in GAA out of 23 qualifying goalies and is getting more games and minutes than his veteran partner and although their stats are similar Tarasov is on an upward trajectory while the other guy has struggled since a hot start.

Expecting (hoping) Tarasov to get the bulk of the playing time the rest of the way!

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
After a meh start to the tournament I've been very impressed with Foudy. Voronkov is playing well too. Haven't seen much of Berni so I can't comment.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

That's actually a pretty good read. What Ruutu says about Berni is essentially exactly what Grönborg, his coach in Zurich, said in that article I posted earlier this season.
Told you at the draft that this pick has steal potential and if I'm Jarmo I'm still liking this pick.

Too bad Berni couldn't finish that chance he had in the 1st. He's probably still beating himself up because of it. He was the Captain of the team and the game could have taken a different direction. Brutal.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I was just looking at Tarasov's win-loss record compared to his stats (he lost his last game giving up 3 Gs on 26 shots).

His team, Assat, is dead last in Goals For at a minuscule 1.97 Goals Scored/Game. The average for the league is 2.70 and the median 2.80 and the second worst scoring team is scoring a full .25 more Goals/Game than Assat. And we think the CBJ scoring is anemic.

As a goalie, that's gotta suck when you know you have zero room for a mistake. I guess its good training for when he plays for the CBJ ;)

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I don’t know if anyone has mentioned it, but a silver lining of all these injuries is that guys like TFW are finally getting some solid time in Cleveland. He’s got 4 points in the last 4 games :nod:
That was my exact thought aswell. No chance to bury him in the lineup now

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Wonder if Kekalainen has any regrets about letting Sokolov go... hmmm?

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Foudy vs Marchenko and Voronkov for gold.

both Foudy and Marchenko have had grade A chances but got stopped. Voronkov has a penalty.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Standouts

Kirill Marchenko, LW, Columbus (Russia)

Marchenko is a player who year over year has continued to develop, and this season he’s starting to spike. He’s been excellent with his club, and at this tournament he was very noticeable for positive reasons. When you get a 6-foot-2 forward who can skate like him and you add in high-end skill, it’s a very exciting package. What I saw in this tournament that I haven’t always seen from him was great playmaking and a high compete level. I saw a prospect who looked like the complete package and tilted the ice when he was on. It’s no surprise NHL scouts have sung his praises of late as a player blooming into a top prospect.

Surprises

Dmitri Voronkov, C, Columbus (Russia)
Careful readers may remember me plugging a second-year eligible, somewhat obscure Russian in last spring’s draft rankings as a top 50 pick. I’m known to do that and overrate those kinds of obscure Russians at times, but Voronkov has continued to develop, impress and become more than I thought he would be going into the draft. He was one of Russia’s best players. He was a physical force along the boards and in front of the net. He made skilled plays, and his skating has shown improvement from last season. I thought as someone with little national team experience he could be a surprise and sneak into this team’s middle six, but he became a staple on its top power play and got crunch time minutes. Russia’s coach Valeri Bragin praised Voronkov’s progression to me in an interview. Columbus got a good player in the fourth round in 2019.

Liam Foudy, LW, Columbus (Canada)
Foudy is a player I’ve watched a lot the past few years, as he is a first-round pick who plays in London. Everyone knows he’s a great skater, but the offensive upside has always been a bit of a question. I still don’t see a high-end scorer or playmaker, but he showed at the tournament he can be offensively involved at this level. He had flashes of significant skill and vision that at least suggested he could score as a pro, even if not his strength. Also, he consistently showed the great effort and speed that makes him a nuisance for opponents.

Pronman: Standouts, surprises and disappointments from the...

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
^Foudy sounds like an upgrade over Wennberg. Was hoping he could push him at camp but his Traverse City injury didn't allow him that opportunity.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Foudy sounds like Chimera, speed for days but will his hands/brain catch up in the pros? We all know Chimmer ended up being a good bottom six player for a few teams but his hands/brain never caught up, maybe Foudy can reach the heights that he couldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad