Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Foudy sounds like Chimera, speed for days but will his hands/brain catch up in the pros? We all know Chimmer ended up being a good bottom six player for a few teams but his hands/brain never caught up, maybe Foudy can reach the heights that he couldn't.
Nah he has better hands and instincts for sure. A better comparable is probably a guy like Grabner. He'll create chances its just a matter of how much can he finish at the next level

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Foudy sounds like Chimera, speed for days but will his hands/brain catch up in the pros? We all know Chimmer ended up being a good bottom six player for a few teams but his hands/brain never caught up, maybe Foudy can reach the heights that he couldn't.
I am concerned this will turn out to be true. I believe there were scouts who felt he was a reach in the first round. Chimera was a high 5th rounder so he clearly exceeded expectations, Foudy will have a harder time just meeting his.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
I'm thinking more like Andrew Cogliano. Speed and IQ but lacking in high-end skill.

Reactions: Bearr

pled

Sep 7, 2009
marchenko must be pretty close did tarasov drop in your opinion ?

it's kinda normal since most of the team prospect are currently in the nhl as of today haha

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Scott Wheeler of The Athletic has our prospect pool listed at 31st, last in the league.

Wheeler's 2020 NHL prospect pool rankings: No. 31 Columbus...

The good news, if I have any for Blue Jackets fans on the prospects front, is that I’m a big, big fan of recent graduates Alexandre Texier and Emil Bemstrom. Both have a lot more to offer than you’ve seen to date and should factor in as top-nine forwards on a contending team someday. I’m so intrigued by Bemstrom that I included him in The Gifted, my annual video series on fascinating prospects. When I released my annual top 50 drafted prospects ranking in July, Texier landed at No. 39.
The bad news is that there isn’t a whole lot more coming. This shouldn’t come as a huge surprise. Not only did the Blue Jackets select just three times in the 2019 draft, but I wasn’t particularly fond of the kids they did take.

His prospect rankings for us is

1. Marchenko
2. Foudy
3. Vehvilainen
4. Peeke
5. Voronkov
6. Hjorth
7. Tarasov
8. Karlberg
9. TFW
10. Berni
11. Carlsson
12. Sherwood
13. Meyer
14. Fortier
15. Angle

If you're wondering where players like Stenlund, Robinson, or whoever are he says he doesn't include guys who are on the brink of sticking to the NHL. Which I assume is why they're not there.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
Scott Wheeler of The Athletic has our prospect pool listed at 31st, last in the league.

1. Marchenko
2. Foudy
3. Vehvilainen
4. Peeke
5. Voronkov
6. Hjorth
7. Tarasov
8. Karlberg
9. TFW
10. Berni
11. Carlsson
12. Sherwood
13. Meyer
14. Fortier
15. Angle

If you're wondering where players like Stenlund, Robinson, or whoever are he says he doesn't include guys who are on the brink of sticking to the NHL. Which I assume is why they're not there.

It’s probably about fair to rate that group 31st.

But this team has a very deep young group that would’ve just graduated from that list. Milano, Robinson, Texier, Bemstrom, Stenlund, Gavrikov, Kukan, Elvis - all players that haven’t played a ton with us, are on the right side of their prime, and aren’t considered prospects. Not many of the big pieces of this team are going to be slowing down any time soon.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'm not sure they should be 31st but I also don't see any surefire stars listed either. I am optimistic/hopeful that Marchenko, Foudy, Peeke and at least one of the goalies pan out. The rest I don't see as major contributors. We'll see.

Reactions: Cowumbus

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

1. Marchenko
2. Foudy
3. Vehvilainen
4. Peeke
5. Voronkov
6. Hjorth
7. Tarasov
8. Karlberg
9. TFW
10. Berni
11. Carlsson
12. Sherwood
13. Meyer
14. Fortier
15. Angle

Well, yeah; the top third of our prospects at the start of the year are getting regular NHL ice time now. That tends to bring the pool down a tad. ;)

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
High-End/Very Good Bubble

13. Kirill Marchenko, LW, Columbus (SKA-KHL)

July 21, 2000 | 6-foot-3 | 187 pounds
Drafted: 49th-overall (2018)
Previous ranking: No. 70
Skating: 55
Puck Skills: 65
Physical Game: 55
Hockey Sense: 60

Marchenko has always been a bit of a sleeping giant prospect. His skill set has always popped. He’s a big forward with speed and elite skill. NHL scouts always thought there could be a moment where it clicked and he became a monster. I don’t think he’s all the way there, but he’s getting close. Marchenko lit up the VHL before being used regularly for SKA. His numbers may not blow you away, but those three goals are the most-ever by a teenage player for SKA in the KHL era. He’s been great for them when playing regular minutes and was great at the world juniors for Russia. He’s a play driver whose vision has shone through recently at a higher level than I thought he had in him. You add in the competitive fire I’ve seen in his game lately, and it feels like a player starting to put it together and become a legitimate top prospect. The downside is he just signed a new two-year extension with SKA, taking him through the 2022 season.

Very Good NHL Prospect

66. Dmitri Voronkov, C, Columbus (Kazan-KHL)

Sept. 10, 2000 | 6-foot-4 | 183 pounds
Drafted: 114th-overall (2019)
Previous ranking: Not Ranked
Skating: 50
Puck Skills: 55
Physical Game: 70
Hockey Sense: 55

Voronkov burst onto the scene this winter at the world juniors, as a top player for the silver medal-winning Russian club. I felt going into the 2019 draft that Voronkov had a first-round toolkit, but given how little of a track record he had, it was hard to be that optimistic about him. This season he’s looked fine versus men in the KHL, and versus his peers he showed that his combination of a 6-foot-4 frame, skill, physicality and improved skating stride equals a very interesting prospect. He’s been a significant riser in a very short period of time and is a name a lot of NHL scouts are mentioning of late.

Pronman: 2019-20 midseason NHL prospects ranking

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Looking back at our last few drafts, anyone know the status of these picks or have we moved on:
Peter Thome G 6th round Univ of North Dakota
Sam Ruopp D 5th round Univ of Saskatchewan
Veeti Vainio D 5th round
Ryan Collins D 2nd round Cleveland Monsters

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I believe Thome and vainio are still under our control. I think Thome is only ours for this year, meaning he needs a contract or he’s a UFA, and Vainio is under our control indefinitely since he’s a European draft pick.

Collins is a Cleveland monster and will likely stay in the AHL for the foreseeable future.

Ruopp is gone. UFA

Last edited:
Reactions: CharlotteJacket

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
I believe Thome and vainio are still under our control. I think Thome is only ours for this year, meaning he needs a contract or he’s a UFA, and Vainio is under our control indefinitely since he’s a European draft pick.

Collins is a Cleveland monster and will likely stay in the AHL for the foreseeable future.

Ruopp is gone. UFA

I had weird high hopes for Ruopp when we drafted him, honestly. for whatever reason, I loved the pick at the time.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Is TFW the next Matty C? Numbers are eerily similar.
  • Calvert (5th round pick) vs TFW (7th round pick)
  • Both played in WHL and both and were team captains (I think Matty wore an A)
  • Both are undersized (Matty C is taller but TFW is weightier), both skate with speed and are relentless not shying away from physical play or larger opponents
  • Matty C 99 Gs and 230 Pts in 198 WHL games, TFW 93 Gs and 245 Pts in 206 WHL Games
  • Matty's first season in AHL was 13 Gs and 25 Pts in 38 Games (.33 GPG and .66 PPG). TFW is at 7 Gs and 16 Pts in 28 Games (.25 GPG and .57 PPG) but on a hot streak so his numbers could easily improve and he could match Matty C's first AHL season stats.

Reactions: Toe Pick

Arch City Zach

Jun 10, 2011
Columbus, OH
archcityarmy.com
Is TFW the next Matty C? Numbers are eerily similar.
  • Calvert (5th round pick) vs TFW (7th round pick)
  • Both played in WHL and both and were team captains (I think Matty wore an A)
  • Both are undersized (Matty C is taller but TFW is weightier), both skate with speed and are relentless not shying away from physical play or larger opponents
  • Matty C 99 Gs and 230 Pts in 198 WHL games, TFW 93 Gs and 245 Pts in 206 WHL Games
  • Matty's first season in AHL was 13 Gs and 25 Pts in 38 Games (.33 GPG and .66 PPG). TFW is at 7 Gs and 16 Pts in 28 Games (.25 GPG and .57 PPG) but on a hot streak so his numbers could easily improve and he could match Matty C's first AHL season stats.
If he plays as dogged a game as Matty did, he'll make the club for sure.

pled

Sep 7, 2009

Ruopp is gone. UFA
thome has one more year so no need to worry, he recover from his injury well.
Vainio having a pretty great year hope they sign him at some point.
Carson Meyer is the one becoming ufa this summer. not super high on him I think he'll be let go

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

Ruopp is gone. UFA

Columbus Blue Jackets at eliteprospects.com

Vainio isn't listed here. EP is usually accurate. I think if we don't sign a prospect after 4 years they go UFA, right? Which is why none of the unsigned 2015 draftees are still in the system (Vainio, Ruopp).

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Reactions: DarkandStormy

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
CapFriendly now does Reserve List tracking, and it also doesn't have Vainio on ours.
Columbus Blue Jackets Reserve List - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Oh, that's a nice tracker. Shows when they must be signed and what status they go to if not. If I'm reading that right, Meyer has until August 15th to sign his ELC, otherwise he goes UFA. And Sedlak we have rights to until either 7/1 or his 27th birthday? Unclear if that's the reasoning or how long we have his rights.

It looks like any prospect who plays over un Europe we hold their NHL rights indefinitely? Which is why you use the clock on guys in the CHL or in the NCAA? I think I'm reading all that right? Which would explain Quenneville and Mozyakin on the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad