CBJ Powerplay 2021-22

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Sorry but Laine didn't show much of anything after his first handful of games with the CBJ.
We must have been watching 2 different things. In some cases guys put out the effort and it's either bad luck or lack of talent. IN his case (last season) it was just lack of focus and effort. THe effort part is the concerning thing to me.
We didn't understand each other. I mean ability of the players, not how they played last year, some things which they showed on PP (because this thread is about it).

There`re one thing - focus and effort, another - psychology, also the previous season was enough specific. This season `ll show his real qualities so I don`t see any reason to analyze his play now. That`s all.

Last edited:

Jan

Jan 30, 2021
Jets played in "Canada" division. So we must wait to the next season to know whether its PP is better than with Laine or not. On the contrary, Laine showed he can pass the puck at speed, be a playmaker. But I wanted to cry when I watched as players in PP recived the puck although they are very skill. Also moving, don`t tell me we only have players who can stay and this is all. IMHO the big problem was permanent changes of players on PP. Figuratively speaking, one bad PP and a new PP unit.
The Canadian division, is that where Montreal was playing. Wasn't they in the final. Oh my, then we have a very good measurement....

Do not underestimate any team in the NHL.

What ever the reason was, he was targeted in the forechecking and it worked far to well for our opponents.
What ever the reason, he will need to improve and so will the team playing with him.
What is concerning, is that this is not the first fallout season he had. Only one season more back, he was almost as equally bad. I think that is concerning.
What is certain is that neither Laine or CBJ can afford a season more from Laine like this previously season.

Last edited:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
The Canadian division, is that where Montreal was playing. Wasn't they in the final. Oh my, then we have a very good measurement....

Do not underestimate any team in the NHL.
My question. How many teams from Canadian division would play PO int the played another division? More preciselly when Tampa, Florida.../Boston, Isles.. played? Also, remember when Price improved. I doubt Montreal would be among them.

Reactions: Halberdier

Jan

Jan 30, 2021
My question. How many teams from Canadian division would play PO int the played another division? More preciselly when Tampa, Florida.../Boston, Isles.. played? Also, remember when Price improved. I doubt Montreal would be among them.
Difficult to say, but this year it was Montreal, last season Vancover and Toronto is hyped but not bad. then there are Calgary,. EDM has a slime lineup, but is not walkover.
All teams that certainly was better than us.

In the end, Laine sucked this pass season.
It maybe in a lark of effort/lark mental strength/lark Motivation/lark of condition. I will say all of those is are alone huge reason for concerns.
After all, there is a saying, in hockey (and other sports), effort beat talent.
Teams was keen in on him and succeeded. You can like that or not. It is a fact.

To me it seams like Laine fails with adversity and that is a huge mental weakness. I truly hope I am wrong.
I will say that players like Cam and Bjorkstrand trives with adversity. That is however a mental strength.

You also have to understand, that everybody on this board, I am sure, hope that Laine will show us his talent and show up in an improved version.
It is just that there are some alarming concerns around his person. Please "Laine", prove me wrong.

Reactions: majormajor

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Difficult to say, but this year it was Montreal, last season Vancover and Toronto is hyped but not bad. then there are Calgary,. EDM has a slime lineup, but is not walkover.
All teams that certainly was better than us.

In the end, Laine sucked this pass season.
It maybe in a lark of effort/lark mental strength/lark Motivation/lark of condition. I will say all of those is are alone huge reason for concerns.
After all, there is a saying, in hockey (and other sports), effort beat talent.
Teams was keen in on him and succeeded. You can like that or not. It is a fact.

To me it seams like Laine fails with adversity and that is a huge mental weakness. I truly hope I am wrong.
I will say that players like Cam and Bjorkstrand trives with adversity. That is however a mental strength.

You also have to understand, that everybody on this board, I am sure, hope that Laine will show us his talent and show up in an improved version.
It is just that there are some alarming concerns around his person. Please "Laine", prove me wrong.
The second question, was CBJ in PO?

Laine is 23, Bjork 26, Atkinson 32. He has time, we`ll see.

Last edited:

Jan

Jan 30, 2021
The second question, was CBJ in PO?

Laine is 23, Bjork 26, Atkinson 32. He has time, we`ll see.
So the age is part of the mental issue.
No Bjorkstrand was at 22 send back down in AHL after a bad training camp and was not given another chance. Even Kerby failed for weeks. Then when given a chanc, he would be the best addition the team got for playoff.
Cam at a young age had no chance in reaching the NHL. In stead of give up, he went home and works his ash of and became a good player.

When Laine's every chance and his game and play with his team didn't work, he just gives up. He play become worse and worse the more thing goes against him.
That is what I talk about when I talked about adversity. That is why I am worried.

Reactions: thebus88

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
So the age is part of the mental issue.
No Bjorkstrand was at 22 send back down in AHL after a bad training camp and was not given another chance. Even Kerby failed for weeks. Then when given a chanc, he would be the best addition the team got for playoff.
Cam at a young age had no chance in reaching the NHL. In stead of give up, he went home and works his ash of and became a good player.

When Laine's every chance and his game and play with his team didn't work, he just gives up. He play become worse and worse the more thing goes against him.
That is what I talk about when I talked about adversity. That is why I am worried.
We didn't understand each other. I meant that he still has a chance. He's young, after all. Besides, everything has been going well for him so far, and here... . Bjork and especially Cam were picked in the later rounds, especially Cam, Patrik second in the first round, with only Matthews ahead of him. That's why he says we'll see. As we say here, "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger".

P.S. although it`s still one now, "what doesn't kill you, it mutates and one tries again".:sarcasm:

Reactions: Halberdier and Jan

Jan

Jan 30, 2021
We didn't understand each other. I meant that he still has a chance. He's young, after all. Besides, everything has been going well for him so far, and here... . Bjork and especially Cam were picked in the later rounds, especially Cam, Patrik second in the first round, with only Matthews ahead of him. That's why he says we'll see. As we say here, "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger".

P.S. although it`s still one now, "what doesn't kill you, it mutates and one tries again".:sarcasm:
On this we are defiantly agreeing, he still has a chance.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

I have one of these on my wall next to my desk:

Reactions: Halberdier

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I think its important that we utilize all 3 offensive defenseman at our disposal. Werenski can QB the first unit, but I would give Boqvist a look on one of the two units as well as Jake Bean.

Maybe a first unit of

Laine-Roslovic-Voracek
Werenski-Bjorkstrand

And a second unit of

Nyquist-Texier (Domi when healthy)-Bemstrom/Hofmann
Boqvist-Bean

I think its important they get Texier, Bemstrom, and Hofmann minutes here as well. We have to see what these kids do in offensive situations.

Reactions: Bookker

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I think its important that we utilize all 3 offensive defenseman at our disposal. Werenski can QB the first unit, but I would give Boqvist a look on one of the two units as well as Jake Bean.

Maybe a first unit of

Laine-Roslovic-Voracek
Werenski-Bjorkstrand

And a second unit of

Boqvist-Bean

I think its important they get Texier, Bemstrom, and Hofmann minutes here as well. We have to see what these kids do in offensive situations.

I just hope the power play is an offensive situation and not an offensive situation.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Maybe a first unit of

Laine-Roslovic-Voracek
Werenski-Bjorkstrand

And a second unit of

Boqvist-Bean

I can't tell the orientation. Who is on the point of the second unit? Who is in down low on each unit? What are the halfwalls? If they play 1-3-1 they should be listed that way on paper.

Also I'm confident it is going to be a sad story if we have Werenski as Laine's tee-up guy. You need an RH pointman for Laine.

Reactions: tunnelvision

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I can't tell the orientation. Who is on the point of the second unit? Who is in down low on each unit? If they play 1-3-1 they should be listed that way on paper.

Also I'm confident it is going to be a sad story if we have Werenski as Laine's tee-up guy. You need an RH pointman for Laine.

I didn't really factor in 1-3-1 format setup, was just putting players on a board basically.

Ideally Bjorkstrand would be the point triggerman for Laine. I agree you need a RH shot to feed him. Plus, it gets Werenski on his one time side. The low guy would likely have to be Voracek (with Roslovic being the bumper).

Voracek
Laine-Roslovic-Werenski
Bjorkstrand

Or

Roslovic
Laine-Bjorkstrand-Voracek
Werenski

As for the point on the 2nd unit, probably both Boqvist and Bean patrol it. The first unit would be a 1-3-1 and the second would be a more traditional one.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I didn't really factor in 1-3-1 format setup, was just putting players on a board basically.

Ideally Bjorkstrand would be the point triggerman for Laine. I agree you need a RH shot to feed him. Plus, it gets Werenski on his one time side. The low guy would likely have to be Voracek (with Roslovic being the bumper).

Voracek
Laine-Roslovic-Werenski
Bjorkstrand

As for the point on the 2nd unit, probably both Boqvist and Bean patrol it. The first unit would be a 1-3-1 and the second would be a more traditional one.

I would love to see an experiment with Bjorkstrand on the point. Could he put some seeing-eye pucks through from that distance? It seems a bit unlikely though that with 3 PP D that they'd put time into seeing if the point could be manned by a forward. It is likely that there are some forwards that would show skill as pointmen, it is unlikely that we see it tried.

Perhaps with both Boqvist and Bean we could try a 3-2 and maybe confuse some PKers. At this point the "traditional" 3-2 setup is pretty rare. I remember seeing the Blues do it a couple years ago, that might have been the last time I've noticed a team doing it, though perhaps a few still do.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Ideally Bjorkstrand would be the point triggerman for Laine.
I want to see it as an experiment during preseason but at the same time I'm very skeptical seeing it work any better than a defenseman playing the point. IMO the ideal set up guy for QB role is someone who is preferably right-handed and good with one touch passes and I don't think Bjorkstrand is our best option for it. Haven't seen enough of Boqvist to confidently say he's better for the job but in theory I prefer him over Bjorkstrand. For most PKs, Laine is a marked man whose one-timers teams are trying to block as effectively as possible, which means that the PP has to be very quick with their one-time plays.

If Voracek is on the right halfwall, Roslovic in the bumper and Bjorkstrand on the point, the most likely two-pass one-timer plays that go through Bjorkstrand would be Voracek>Bjorkstrand>Laine and Roslovic>Bjorkstrand>Laine. It's very hard for me to believe either play would actually work. I don't remember Bjorkstrand performing any one touch pass or one-timer passing plays in his NHL career that would have ever led to a goal. Jones (and Panarin) was exceptionally good as a point man compared to rest of our roster with his quick passing ability.

Actually if we were to put a forward to play the point, I think skill-wise Roslovic would be ideal but I don't want to see it happen because I'm already kind of sold on major's propaganda about Roslovic being the bEsT BuMpEr MaN eVa! :D

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Perhaps a little too excited about that guy stealing the show in Traverse city. But, if Chinakhov continues work on his stick check/puck battle game and refine puckhandling and passing skills on the boards, he's going to be a very good right halfwall PP player for years to come. Hope he gets the chance to play with these guys once the camp starts:

Voracek
Laine - Roslovic - Chinakhov
Boqvist/Werenski

One apparent problem with his line up is that none of these players have shown to be strong at one-on-one puck battles (maybe except Voracek) which is usually needed to get the 1-3-1 set up.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Perhaps a little too excited about that guy stealing the show in Traverse city. But, if Chinakhov continues work on his stick check/puck battle game and refine puckhandling and passing skills on the boards, he's going to be a very good right halfwall PP player for years to come. Hope he gets the chance to play with these guys once the camp starts:

Voracek
Boqvist/Werenski

One apparent problem with his line up is that none of these players have shown to be strong at one-on-one puck battles (maybe except Voracek) which is usually needed to get the 1-3-1 set up.
I'm not confident Chinakov will be in the lineup and less so on 1PP, but I have always wanted to see another deadly shot on the right wall opposite to Laine. Patty can thread a needle but it usually has just ended in nothing, because it was always Wheeler playing there who is a righty and not a shooting threat anyways. Maybe we'll get a teaser of it in a preseason game. Would be fun

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

Voracek
Laine-Roslovic-Werenski
Bjorkstrand

Or

Roslovic
Laine-Bjorkstrand-Voracek
Werenski

I agree with all of this other than the Hofmann part. I don’t see the fit on the powerplay or on the CBJ roster if I am honest.

We have guys who are more versatile when it comes to playing center or lower in the lineup in a traditional “4th line” role, and plenty of offensive guys who are probably better offensively and younger. Chinakhov as an offensive minded left shot seems to be in direct competition with Hofmann.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

Maybe a first unit of

Laine-Roslovic-Voracek
Werenski-Bjorkstrand

And a second unit of

Boqvist-Bean

The Hofmann comments are related to this post.

I want Bjorkstand and Bemstrom on my ideal 1PP, but, I understand Bemstrom on the 2nd unit.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I agree with all of this other than the Hofmann part. I don’t see the fit on the powerplay or on the CBJ roster if I am honest.

We have guys who are more versatile when it comes to playing center or lower in the lineup in a traditional “4th line” role, and plenty of offensive guys who are probably better offensively and younger. Chinakhov as an offensive minded left shot seems to be in direct competition with Hofmann.

I’m with you on Hoffman. But here’s what I see in him… he’s not an unreasonable guy to give a second/last chance as an NHL player, in a season when we might want to allow some of the younger players who profile as legit roster guys (Chinakov, for example) to marinate a little.

I’m willing to let it play out and hope they take the best guys but contracts status/age plays into it we all know.

And if Hoffman turns out to be a player… that’s a problem I’ll take.

DEF

Oct 24, 2008
White Castle's
I think Hofmann and Danforth are traded at the deadline for draft picks. That would allow 2 players to mature in Cleveland and finish the season in Columbus. If Hofmann and Danforth play well, we could get a nice return.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I think Hofmann and Danforth are traded at the deadline for draft picks. That would allow 2 players to mature in Cleveland and finish the season in Columbus. If Hofmann and Danforth play well, we could get a nice return.
I could see one of them being traded. I don't think BOTH are gonna be in the NHL next season, but if we find one(or both) are NHL worthy why be in a rush to move them on for the chance a kid can produce at a similar clip?

If I'm Jarmo and we actually finally strike on a Euro FA signing, I'm extending him and keeping him until the kids force him off the roster. Especially if one of them are on the PP and it's actually working for once.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

Maybe not. But I don't think they signed Hofmann just to have him play bottom 6 minutes. They want to give him some run. Whether or not he keeps it is up to him, but the PP was his bread and butter in the Swiss league.

Reactions: CBJx614

Jan

Jan 30, 2021

Voracek
Boqvist/Werenski

Then there would maybe at least one that can score goals consistently.:DD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad