CBJ Powerplay 2021-22

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
While I'd prefer to stick with Roslovic who had great results in the bumper last year, I don't share this reaction to Bjorkstrand. He showed much better vision last year. I think his touch is good all-around and his hockey sense is superb. He is excellent at winning pucks back in any game state. My only hesitancy with him in the bumper is more that he plays with a longer stick and he doesn't pivot as quickly as Roslovic. Really I just think Roslovic is perfect for that job. It's rare for a bumper guy to lead a PP in scoring, because it's hard to run a lot of plays through such a tight space. But Roslovic just did that by executing whatever plays came his way.
I'm also fine with his overall game and compete level, he does many things right in my book and has a good hockey sense. Maybe I exaggerated a little about his lack of talent, I don't know....I'm just a long-time fan tired of watching piss poor passing year after year on PP and who's not sure what is the real cause of it, and it would be nice if we once had a full line up of finesse puckhandling, you know like in the spring of 2019.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm also fine with his overall game and compete level, he does many things right in my book and has a good hockey sense. Maybe I exaggerated a little about his lack of talent, I don't know....I'm just a long-time fan tired of watching piss poor passing year after year on PP and who's not sure what is the real cause of it, and it would be nice if we once had a full line up of finesse puckhandling, you know like in the spring of 2019.

Bjorkstrand was never part of the problem from my perspective.

If you'll remember that 2019 run, Bjorkstrand was Panarin's RW at 5v5, and scored the last two game winning goals of the Tampa sweep, the first 5v4, the second 6v5.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Bjorkstrand was never part of the problem from my perspective.

If you'll remember that 2019 run, Bjorkstrand was Panarin's RW at 5v5, and scored the last two game winning goals of the Tampa sweep, the first 5v4, the second 6v5.

Hard to deny that. I forgot Atkinson was also playing the right halfwall and somehow the powerplay still kind of worked!

Jan

Jan 30, 2021
Play the Best on PP1. Bjorkstrand is the best Forward he needs to play PP1

I think Bjorkstrand scored a lot of PP goals from that exact bumper spot when playing in Portland. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. I agree, he can fire pucks from that position but I always find myself holding my breath and sensing various uncomfortable tensions in my body if he doesn't get the puck in his "wheelhouse" and he is forced to pass it back to right side, left side or up to the point. His passing skills don't impress me to say the least. And even when players have just entered the zone and are setting up the 1-3-1 formation, they usually switch places which means that Bjorkstrand needs to play some positions temporarily (down low and right halfwall) with puck on his stick before getting into his bumper spot. And those areas are not his "office" on powerplays. Again, haven't seen a lot of games from last year but I have to say I like major's idea of having Roslovic in the bumper more just because of his versatility.

My guess is that the line up you posted above is the one coaches will try out first once the camp starts. Most expensive guys belong to PP1 I guess. And yeah, they will probably run most of the plays through Voracek. In that case they'll probably pick a left-handed guy to play in front (=more room for passing). Just please don't be Jenner.

While I'd prefer to stick with Roslovic who had great results in the bumper last year, I don't share this reaction to Bjorkstrand. He showed much better vision last year. I think his touch is good all-around and his hockey sense is superb. He is excellent at winning pucks back in any game state. My only hesitancy with him in the bumper is more that he plays with a longer stick and he doesn't pivot as quickly as Roslovic. Really I just think Roslovic is perfect for that job. It's rare for a bumper guy to lead a PP in scoring, because it's hard to run a lot of plays through such a tight space. But Roslovic just did that by executing whatever plays came his way.

It is interesting how much Bjorky, our top score for two season and one of the top five for now many seasons, is undervalued (by some).
Bjorky is the first Tort send down the lines, when a line did not work. The first out of the powerplay. The first top player down on the fourth line. The one they do not play to setup for scoring, but still he keep score, however much they coaches tries to make him blocks on the road.
Domi, Laine and Cam didn't work. Keep trying.

Fun is, that when they are finally dumped of the top line and Bjork is the last resource, to put in. Then we start scoring. It is almost as Tort tried to destroy all players this season.
Then at the end of the season Domi was actually start working, with Bjorky, like every other player worked with Bjorky.

Still everybody goes Laine, Laine, Laine... I say Give Away Laine, because that he certainly was good at, give away the puck.
I, for the record, hope that will change this coming season.

With players like Bjorky and Z, CBJ should have one of the best PP. The question is actually why is it not. It much be some player that is always on top PP unit... Or coaching staf, or they are too predicable.

Last edited:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Honestly I think we'll see better results in the fact that the same guys will be on the unit not getting thrown around to different lines whenever things aren't working. Just building that familiarity and being able to read your linemates and knowing each other will go a long way in gaining some consistency on the power play. We didn't utilize Panarin (on the PP) properly when he was here we can't afford to do the same thing with Laine.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
It is interesting how much Bjorky, our top score for two season and one of the top five for now many seasons, is undervalued (by some).
Bjorky is the first Tort send down the lines, when a line did not work. The first out of the powerplay. The first top player down on the fourth line. The one they do not play to setup for scoring, but still he keep score, however much they coaches tries to make him blocks on the road.
Domi, Laine and Cam didn't work. Keep trying.

Fun is, that when they are finally dumped of the top line and Bjork is the last resource, to put in. Then we start scoring. It is almost as Tort tried to destroy all players this season.
Then at the end of the season Domi was actually start working, with Bjorky, like every other player worked with Bjorky.

Still everybody goes Laine, Laine, Laine... I say Give Away Laine, because that he certainly was good at, give away the puck.
I, for the record, hope that will change this coming season.

With players like Bjorky and Z, CBJ should have one of the best PP. The question is actually why is it not. It much be some player that is always on top PP unit... Or coaching staf, or they are too predicable.
Anyone who knows at least a little bit about hockey knows that Bjork is underrated. I don't think he's worse than Ehlers, he just hasn't played offensive team. I think he and PLD were better than Panarin in PO.

As for PP. He'd be perfect on the right side in PP1, but let's be honest, do you think Werenski will be in PP2?

Jan

Jan 30, 2021
Anyone who knows at least a little bit about hockey knows that Bjork is underrated. I don't think he's worse than Ehlers, he just hasn't played offensive team. I think he and PLD were better than Panarin in PO.

As for PP. He'd be perfect on the right side in PP1, but let's be honest, do you think Werenski will be in PP2?
No I do not think so, but I has actually started to wonder if Werenski is part of the problem on the PP.
Not personally I mean, but they was everything always seams to go forth and back between him and someone else.
I know that he is supposed to QB the powerplay, but something is not working.

It is clear, in my point of view, that they are certainly not moving the puck fast enough, and there are far to many bad passes.
Even Laine lost a lot of pucks! It was not all on him, it was partly because of bad passes.
One thing for sure, teams was waiting for a bad pass to Laine and they was over him immediately, making it hard to recovering the puck.
You can say he was not good enough recovering the puck, but that was not his job on the PP.

What I will never understand, is how the coaching staff could put both Roslovic and Domi out on the PP1 at the same time.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
No I do not think so, but I has actually started to wonder if Werenski is part of the problem on the PP.
Not personally I mean, but they was everything always seams to go forth and back between him and someone else.
I know that he is supposed to QB the powerplay, but something is not working.

It is clear, in my point of view, that they are certainly not moving the puck fast enough, and there are far to many bad passes.
Even Laine lost a lot of pucks! It was not all on him, it was partly because of bad passes.
One thing for sure, teams was waiting for a bad pass to Laine and they was over him immediately, making it hard to recovering the puck.
You can say he was not good enough recovering the puck, but that was not his job on the PP.

What I will never understand, is how the coaching staff could put both Roslovic and Domi out on the PP1 at the same time.
As for Laine, that season was IMHO a psychological problem. Of course, I can be wrong, next season will tell.
On Werenski, he's not a playmaker, Boqvist is more fit for that role. Even Bean. In my opinion, he would be better on the right side in PP2. But be realists.

Reactions: Jan

Jan

Jan 30, 2021
As for Laine, that season was IMHO a psychological problem. Of course, I can be wrong, next season will tell.
On Werenski, he's not a playmaker, Boqvist is more fit for that role. Even Bean. In my opinion, he would be better on the right side in PP2. But be realists.
Sadly I do agree, that the PP1 will have certain players on it, that who was always on the failing PP these past seasons.
We should of cause also understand part is the PP coaching.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I disagree with the notion of Laine needing a RH pointman. Left handed pointman can shot right from Laine's passes and while both have been working OK, I think LH is just better.

Buff was a really good PP player, but not for setting up Laine. Actually that was a very rare feat on the Jets PP. Almost always it was about Buff & Wheeler moving the puck back and forth in the right side and then Wheeler made an ultra long seam pass for Laine like once per game, and Laine did score with quite high probability from those. Buff was excellent for keeping the line and retrieving the puck & firing his cannon from the line, but it was quite rare for him to actually setup Laine, and I think him being right handed shot had a lot to do with that.

Jan

Jan 30, 2021
Honestly I think we'll see better results in the fact that the same guys will be on the unit not getting thrown around to different lines whenever things aren't working. Just building that familiarity and being able to read your linemates and knowing each other will go a long way in gaining some consistency on the power play. We didn't utilize Panarin (on the PP) properly when he was here we can't afford to do the same thing with Laine.
Actually for about half the season most of the PP was the same.
Laine, Roslovic/Domi, Werenski, Cam, where on the PP most of the middle season,

So why would it improve this season?

Laine, Roslovic, Werenski would surely still be on, so not it will work? Because of Voracek.

I will forecast that they will start on he PP and it will work, some what, about one and a half month and then it will dry up.

Then they will begin to inter change and other will get a chance. The season will however be over.

Just like the last few season, where we went into playoff with a dry PP.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

Laine, Roslovic, Werenski would surely still be on, so not it will work? Because of Voracek.

I will forecast that they will start on he PP and it will work, some what, about one and a half month and then it will dry up.

Then they will begin to inter change and other will get a chance. The season will however be over.

If the PP brigade doesn't move, pass quickly, nobody will help.

Reactions: CBJx614

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

Because I put little stock in what happened last season. The team never gelled as a unit and they were in turmoil pretty much all year long. If the boys get a chance to bond off the ice and on the ice with new voices in the room it'll do wonders. Not only that but the PP won't be running through Jones, Atkinson or Foligno.

The biggest thing for me watching the PP over the last few years was how slow things were to develop on the PP... Slow passes, no one-touch passes and then whenever the puck found it's way to the open man they would take FOREVER to get the shot off... All that has to change. I don't think we'll be a top 5/10 unit, but we have the potential to be in the top half.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Because I put little stock in what happened last season. The team never gelled as a unit and they were in turmoil pretty much all year long. If the boys get a chance to bond off the ice and on the ice with a new voice in the room it'll do wonders. Not only that but the PP won't be running through Jones, Atkinson or Foligno.

The biggest thing for me watching the PP over the last few years was how slow things were to develop on the PP... Slow passes, no one-touch passes and then whenever the puck found it's way to the open man they would take FOREVER to get the shot off... All that has to change. I don't think we'll be a top 5/10 unit, but we have the potential to be in the top half.

I think they have the potential to be in the top 10.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
First of all to get on the PP you need to draw penalties and through that get practice and confidence playing as a unit, and not spending time chasing the opponent and losing all energy for offence. Is this a team that'll force other teams to take penalties?

In 2020-21 Jackets had an average of 3:34 PP time per game which was ranked last in the league. Top 5 PP% teams in the regular season (EDM, CAR, WSH, PIT, DAL) were ranked 14th, 18th, 22nd, 23rd and 27th in the same category. I guess you don't have to have a ton of calls going for you to be an efficient PP team but I think it wouldn't hurt if we would get more opportunities somehow. 27th in the league (Pittsburgh) averaged 4:23 PP time per game which is still 49 seconds more than the Jackets.

Reactions: VeseleTlacovky

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I think they have the potential to be in the top 10.

I think it's pretty tough to be a top 10 PP when we struggle so much even keeping possesion (to break it down more passing the puck has been and will assume continue to be, a challenge for the CBJ).
Maybe it was some system thing that will be changed, but generally I think it's a skill thing (or lack of it) with possesion.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
First of all to get on the PP you need to draw penalties and through that get practice and confidence playing as a unit, and not spending time chasing the opponent and losing all energy for offence. Is this a team that'll force other teams to take penalties?

In 2020-21 Jackets had an average of 3:34 PP time per game which was ranked last in the league. Top 5 PP% teams in the regular season (EDM, CAR, WSH, PIT, DAL) were ranked 14th, 18th, 22nd, 23rd and 27th in the same category. I guess you don't have to have a ton of calls going for you to be an efficient PP team but I think it wouldn't hurt if we would get more opportunities somehow. 27th in the league (Pittsburgh) averaged 4:23 PP time per game which is still 49 seconds more than the Jackets.
Going by time on the PP is tough because of the way PP's start and finish. Good PP's may have a lower average time because they end early when the team converts. If they score early in the PP that will lower the average time. Same goes for teams that blow PP's by getting penalties during them, which cuts them short, or they get short PP's because the other team blew their opportunity. I just don't know if average time is a good indicator. Maybe if combined with other factors you can gauge how effective an overall PP is, but by itself I don't think it is as useful as the PP percentage.

Reactions: tunnelvision

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Going by time on the PP is tough because of the way PP's start and finish. Good PP's may have a lower average time because they end early when the team converts. If they score early in the PP that will lower the average time. Same goes for teams that blow PP's by getting penalties during them, which cuts them short, or they get short PP's because the other team blew their opportunity. I just don't know if average time is a good indicator. Maybe if combined with other factors you can gauge how effective an overall PP is, but by itself I don't think it is as useful as the PP percentage.

Going with @tunnelvision original point, you need chances.

Columbus had 2.09 chances per game (last) vs Colorado at 3.58 (first). Anaheim (2.2) and buffalo (2.55) are the next lowest teams. League avg was 2.87. Ten teams were over 3.0.

If we draw a league avg number, even with a 15.38% pp, it would add 10 goals to the season.

With a league avg success rate (20.01%) it would add another 11 goals per season (21 over where we were).

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
Is the PP where we figure out what we have in Bemstrom? His one-timer is a plus and it seems to be his meal ticket compared to the rest of his game which still needs work.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Is the PP where we figure out what we have in Bemstrom? His one-timer is a plus and it seems to be his meal ticket compared to the rest of his game which still needs work.
Maybe if we didnt have Laine. Im guessing Laine wont actually play full PPs and Bemstrom will be there on PP 2. there are still some decent options on the 2nd group to form a decent group of 5

Reactions: Jive Pawnbroker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->