CBJ Powerplay 2021-22

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
And ask yourself if the PP is really better now?

Look at the Rangers PK:
Two forwards to block Zach's shorts and to cover passes to Oliver.
Two defensemen to catch the rebounds before Jenner.
All four Ranger was in a very slime rectangle in front of Zach and didn't have to move much.
That how easy they took care of our PP.:huh:
That was basically what the Cane and Stars did as well.:help:
What about Laine, for some reason, they trusted their goalies on him:huh: and let him shoot all he wanted.

Am I the only one that has seen this in the PP?
I like the group they have, and think they can be ok. They just need to work harder at getting someone open or creating opportunities. They just seem to be slumping a bit. I think teams will take their chances letting Laine get his shots from his normal spot. He gets less net to shoot at, and if they are letting him get his shots, kind of forcing Columbus to do it, they are more prepared to defend it. That is why I would like to see him get some looks up high, or even move him to the slot. He has more of a target by getting the whole net to shoot at. Remember in the Arizona game, they had him up high, then used him as a decoy where he was ready to shoot, froze the defence a bit, and the puck went to Werenski instead for an open shot that resulted in a goal. The PP needs to mix it up a bit to be effective, use a little slight of hand to catch the D off guard. They haven't been doing that lately.

Reactions: Jan and VT

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
He only said that there was part of the position, that had not been made before.
Questions is more does it work?
I'm not too worried about that question yet because it's still very early. My point was simply questioning the expertise of coaching staff, Jody made it sound as if they agreed that Voracek knows best how the pp should be run regardless of what the stats are right now or how much players move around in OZ setting up plays.

Am I the only one that has seen this in the PP?
Honestly, I have to rewatch those PP opportunities from last game later. Not sure if I agree on every remark of yours.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio

I like this in absence of Laine. It gives the unit another RH guy and lets them play more fluid since neither D man has to be glued to the blue line. We saw it directly work when Z took space and scored from the wing spot. Not ideal obviously but without Laine it's the next best thing. Glad they went for a new creative advantage of a more fluid 1-3-1 rather than square peg round hole-ing a non Laine forward to the left side

Reactions: tunnelvision

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

I like this in absence of Laine. It gives the unit another RH guy and lets them play more fluid since neither D man has to be glued to the blue line. We saw it directly work when Z took space and scored from the wing spot. Not ideal obviously but without Laine it's the next best thing. Glad they went for a new creative advantage of a more fluid 1-3-1 rather than square peg round hole-ing a non Laine forward to the left side

Btw it has showed a new possibility for the 2th PP unit: Boqvist, Bean, Domi, Roslovic, Sillinger (in the front of the net).

Last edited:

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
A simple fix to our Domi-Roslovic PT crisis I thought of is put them on PP1 for Jenner and Bjorkstrand. Ros can obviously play the bumper and Domi can playmake from down low.

Having seats behind the goal gave me a whole new perspective on Domi and Roslovic's ability to get through the NZ and to the net. Their speed would help get a few rush chances for the PP as well, which would help a lot imo. Even the threat of a rush can help the east west offense once they're in the OZ. Voracek and Laine slowing the game down is nice and all but it only does so much when that's the only gear PP1 has. Our current PP1 is alright east west but a few true speed threats would make that way more potent, plus Domi and Ros can easily keep up with Voracek and Laine IQ wise with east west stuff.

If Domi and Roslovic aren't going to be used 5 on 5 (which I understand with their defensive woes) why not let them take on more with the PP, which in turn lets Jenner and Bjorkstrand be the PK and 5 on 5 beasts they are respectively.

The one drawback would be a bit of a puck battle drop off, but honestly I don't think it would be that terrible. Jack can do his little spin thing along the wall and Domi battles. If not both at least one of them would help out.

Reactions: tunnelvision

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
upload_2022-1-24_14-13-42.png

15% on the season.

upload_2022-1-24_14-14-35.png

Worst in the league since November 26th.

What's old is new again.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I think next season he'll settle in at the goal line spot on the first unit. He'll probably be right (or left with Chinakhov on the right) side on PP2 this spring though.

I could see it being the other way around - this season we have a vacancy at the goal line with Jenner injured. That and I love having a playmaker down there.

If they're willing to put him there already then I'd be thrilled. That's what I prefer.

Might as well continue this part of Kent Johnson discussion here. So how will/should the PP units be formed now that KJ has arrived? Is this #1 option while Jenner is out?:

---------Johnson
Laine - Bjorkstrand - Voracek
---------Werenski

Puck movement from side to side (Laine-Voracek) via behind the net (Johnson) may become much more quicker and precise than it has ever been. Also passes from below the goal line to the slot (Bjorkstrand) and through goal crease to opposite side (Laine). What are the other possible benefits (and downsides) of having 19-yo KJ on this spot on PP1?

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Might as well continue this part of Kent Johnson discussion here. So how will/should the PP units be formed now that KJ has arrived? Is this #1 option while Jenner is out?:

---------Johnson
Laine - Bjorkstrand - Voracek
---------Werenski

Puck movement from side to side (Laine-Voracek) via behind the net (Johnson) may become much more quicker and precise than it has ever been. Also passes from behind the goal line to the slot (Bjorkstrand) and through goal crease to opposite side (Laine). What are the other possible benefits (and downsides) of having 19-yo KJ on this spot on PP1?

Well obviously he doesn't make much of a screen. The goalie can nearly see through him. :laugh:

And you won't be having him battle at the netmouth. But your playmaking options from the goal line and behind the net might more than make up for that. I'd like to try him there while Jenner is out. One thing I've always said is that Laine doesn't need a screen, just give him a good pass. So this might be a helpful change in strategy.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
What are the other possible benefits (and downsides) of having 19-yo KJ on this spot on PP1?
All of this is obviously in theory and we'd have to see it actually play out to know.

Pros:
-Better playmaking from behind the net, new passing seams and angles
-More fluidity of movement (93 and 13 switching spots, etc), more room for error if everyone isn't in their particular spot
-KJ learns more directly from the Jakub Voracek school of powerplays
-Reps for next year because if he's in the NHL full time he should be on PP1

Cons:
-Even worse collective "puck hound" skill on PP1 (big problem already)
-Entries might be goofy if KJ does his stuff that often leads to offsides

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3