CBJ Powerplay 2021-22

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Going with @tunnelvision original point, you need chances.

Columbus had 2.09 chances per game (last) vs Colorado at 3.58 (first). Anaheim (2.2) and buffalo (2.55) are the next lowest teams. League avg was 2.87. Ten teams were over 3.0.

If we draw a league avg number, even with a 15.38% pp, it would add 10 goals to the season.

With a league avg success rate (20.01%) it would add another 11 goals per season (21 over where we were).
@tunnelvision was talking about time on PP, not chances. Those top 5 teams had at least 35 more chances than CBJ, but they were ranked lower on time on PP. If Columbus could have converted 15 more of their league low 117 chances they would have ranked 2nd in percentage. If they hit that same number of conversions, 32, in as many chances as Colorado had to lead the league, 207, they would have still been low at around 16 percent. It's not the chances you get, it's what you do with them.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Thank you all for the analysis, very interesting to read your thoughts. Agree that Lars not tossing lines is going to help each line gel. Watching those 2019 playoff videos vs. Tampa really put a hurt on my outlook. The CBJ was so good at that time.. we needed a Great GM to fight for that core, but I digress.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
The original theory of my mind that I never addressed was the belief that playing PP as a team against other teams in REAL games can help percentages to improve SIGNIFICANTLY more than when you practice PP just with your own team. It is an argument for which is difficult to find statistics to back it up... I tried anyway and didn't think about it carefully, didn't go too well. lol

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
With the player movement thus far, Larsen has a good amount of options and different combos to try and I hope he's willing to tinker around if a unit, or part of a unit, is not working.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
@tunnelvision was talking about time on PP, not chances. Those top 5 teams had at least 35 more chances than CBJ, but they were ranked lower on time on PP. If Columbus could have converted 15 more of their league low 117 chances they would have ranked 2nd in percentage. If they hit that same number of conversions, 32, in as many chances as Colorado had to lead the league, 207, they would have still been low at around 16 percent. It's not the chances you get, it's what you do with them.
Hence why I don’t think time on PP is a meaningful stat. If Team A with a strong PP has on average 3.1 chances per game and Team B with a weak PP has 2.0 chances per game, Team A may well have less minutes on PP than Team B because it scores on the PP, often in first minute, whereas Team B often uses the entire 2 minutes without scoring. Thus I personally don’t see PP minutes as that meaningful a stat, but I know some do.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
With the player movement thus far, Larsen has a good amount of options and different combos to try and I hope he's willing to tinker around if a unit, or part of a unit, is not working.

After years of complaining to Torts that he needs to stop constantly changing the units, I think Larsen is going to try to let the units gel. Fill each role with what you think is the best player for each job, and then unless a player proves incapable of doing the job you keep them together, perhaps for a solid month before any tinkering. Some confidence and familiarity will help them speed up the puck movement.

Jan

Jan 30, 2021
Because I put little stock in what happened last season. The team never gelled as a unit and they were in turmoil pretty much all year long. If the boys get a chance to bond off the ice and on the ice with new voices in the room it'll do wonders. Not only that but the PP won't be running through Jones, Atkinson or Foligno.

The biggest thing for me watching the PP over the last few years was how slow things were to develop on the PP... Slow passes, no one-touch passes and then whenever the puck found it's way to the open man they would take FOREVER to get the shot off... All that has to change. I don't think we'll be a top 5/10 unit, but we have the potential to be in the top half.
That was basically also what I mention earlier.
Yes they didn't gelled and yes almost everybody went through the PP, when they finally gave up on keeping the the five some together, that was chosen when Laine arrived.
Yes the second PP was almost better than the first unit, but was also too slow.

Now I do not see them change to much of that PP personel wise.
So why should I and other be optimistic that it will improve?
Laine, Roslovic/Domi, Werenski will for sure still be on the PP.

I expect that the slow passing will continue

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Yes they didn't gelled and yes almost everybody went through the PP, when they finally gave up on keeping the the five some together, that was chosen when Laine arrived.

Because the first PP unit ran through Jones essentially, I imagine we'll see someone new in that role

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

There were fast passes too but remember their receive. Especially Cam was an expert in it.

Reactions: Forepar

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Because the first PP unit ran through Jones essentially, I imagine we'll see someone new in that role

Jones has had some down years on the PP but last year wasn't one of them. When he and Laine were on the ice together (proxy for when Jones was #1QB) the Jackets scored at a good rate. 9.12 GF/60. When Werenski and Laine were on the ice together the unit struggled to score. Only 3.63 GF/60. We need a RH QB, and that's why I've suggested trying Boqvist as the QB and Werenski on the half-wall.

--------- Voracek
Laine - Roslovic - Werenski
--------- Boqvist

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Jones has had some down years on the PP but last year wasn't one of them. When he and Laine were on the ice together (proxy for when Jones was #1QB) the Jackets scored at a good rate. 9.12 GF/60. When Werenski and Laine were on the ice together the unit struggled to score. Only 3.63 GF/60. We need a RH QB, and that's why I've suggested trying Boqvist as the QB and Werenski on the half-wall.

--------- Voracek
--------- Boqvist
Actually a big fan of this line up. They might even try it out although it's more likely they'll put Bjorky in Roslovic's place. I think they would have to move a lot and switch places (especially Jake and Z) in order to it to work because most of the plays would run through Z and he's kind of an useless playmaker while standing still.

Reactions: Jan

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Actually a big fan of this line up. They might even try it out although it's more likely they'll put Bjorky in Roslovic's place. I think they would have to move a lot and switch places (especially Jake and Z) in order to it to work because most of the plays would run through Z and he's kind of an useless playmaker while standing still.
Roslovic is the best possibility to play in the center IMHO. But the right side... IMHO Bjork would be the best but Werenski wouldn`t play in 2th PP unit. Never.
I think Larsen will try Werenski inspite of Boqvist in the 1th PP unite.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I have more confidence in Roslovic in the bumper position than I do in any player in any other position.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
It is time for Columbus to get some players that out perform expectations. We have some puck movers.. we have some players with extraordinay shooting skill, time to make some plays happen, and also get some defense.

Reactions: OldGoaltender

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
It is time for Columbus to get some players that out perform expectations. We have some puck movers.. we have some players with extraordinay shooting skill, time to make some plays happen, and also get some defense.
Bjorkstrand, Merzlikins, Kukan :sarcasm:

But no really I've been telling my friends the same thing. Like it's only a matter of the time before we hit on a Point of our own. If we hit a grandslam in this draft that would set this organization up perfectly. I know it's not likely but to hit on our first 4 picks from the draft would be an absolute game changer​

Reactions: Jan and majormajor

Jan

Jan 30, 2021
Bjorkstrand, Merzlikins, Kukan :sarcasm:

But no really I've been telling my friends the same thing. Like it's only a matter of the time before we hit on a Point of our own. If we hit a grandslam in this draft that would set this organization up perfectly. I know it's not likely but to hit on our first 4 picks from the draft would be an absolute game changer​
Yes but not likely at all.

If just one of them pans out, we should be happy.

Jan

Jan 30, 2021
I disagree with the notion of Laine needing a RH pointman. Left handed pointman can shot right from Laine's passes and while both have been working OK, I think LH is just better.

Buff was a really good PP player, but not for setting up Laine. Actually that was a very rare feat on the Jets PP. Almost always it was about Buff & Wheeler moving the puck back and forth in the right side and then Wheeler made an ultra long seam pass for Laine like once per game, and Laine did score with quite high probability from those. Buff was excellent for keeping the line and retrieving the puck & firing his cannon from the line, but it was quite rare for him to actually setup Laine, and I think him being right handed shot had a lot to do with that.
Yes, the point was rare pass.
Laine was a major danger in Jest PP, but Scheifele and Wheeler was a larger threat.
That also meant that the Defense could not just stand and wait for either Laine or Zack to shoot.
They would actually be more busy to cover the opposite site.

Fact is that Jets PP is just as dangerously now as when Laine was there.

My concern is if we have the players to put on the PP, to cover for the obviously weakness that Laine showed especially this season and the season two years back?
A PP where 95% of the power play can happen in the opposite side for most of the PP and still be dangerously from that site (The left site).
I am not sure.

Other team, at least this past season, did put their forechecking on Laine receiving of the puck. That was how we lost possession in far to many Power plays.

That will have to stop or any PP will be doomed.

Reactions: LJ7201

Jan

Jan 30, 2021

--------- Voracek
--------- Boqvist
I think that Bjorkstrand would be more dangerous than Werenski, but it would never happen under Tort.

Only time will show if Voracek and Boqvist will improve the PP, but I am affraid that Werenski will be given all chanced to QB the power play.

Reactions: thebus88

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Yes, the point was rare pass.
Laine was a major danger in Jest PP, but Scheifele and Wheeler was a larger threat.
That also meant that the Defense could not just stand and wait for either Laine or Zack to shoot.
They would actually be more busy to cover the opposite site.

Fact is that Jets PP is just as dangerously now as when Laine was there.

My concern is if we have the players to put on the PP, to cover for the obviously weakness that Laine showed especially this season and the season two years back?
A PP where 95% of the power play can happen in the opposite side for most of the PP and still be dangerously from that site (The left site).
I am not sure.

Other team, at least this past season, did put their forechecking on Laine receiving of the puck. That was how we lost possession in far to many Power plays.

That will have to stop or any PP will be doomed.
Jets played in "Canada" division. So we must wait to the next season to know whether its PP is better than with Laine or not. On the contrary, Laine showed he can pass the puck at speed, be a playmaker. But I wanted to cry when I watched as players in PP recived the puck although they are very skill. Also moving, don`t tell me we only have players who can stay and this is all. IMHO the big problem was permanent changes of players on PP. Figuratively speaking, one bad PP and a new PP unit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Halberdier

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Jets played in "Canada" division. So we must wait to the next season to know whether its PP is better than with Laine or not. On the contrary, Laine showed he can pass the puck at speed, be a playmaker. But I wanted to cry when I watched as players in PP recived the puck although they are very skill. Also moving, don`t tell me we only have players who can stay and this is all. IMHO the big problem was permanent changes of players on PP. Figuratively speaking, one bad PP and a new PP unit.

Sorry but Laine didn't show much of anything after his first handful of games with the CBJ.
We must have been watching 2 different things. In some cases guys put out the effort and it's either bad luck or lack of talent. IN his case (last season) it was just lack of focus and effort. THe effort part is the concerning thing to me.

Reactions: thebus88 and Jan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad