CBJ Powerplay 2021-22

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
How will the powerplay units look like next year, with recent offseason changes in the roster and coaching staff? I'm feeling optimistic that the stats will improve, mostly because we now have more and better options for both units. Some stonehands who always had trouble handling and passing the puck quickly (Atkinson, Jenner, Bjorkstrand etc.) are gone or likely to get less time and role this year. I think now there's more playmaking ability in the roster, especially along the boards and blueline in an umbrella set-up. Here's one of my ideas:

1st:
Nyquist​
Laine - Bjorkstrand - Voracek
Boqvist​

2nd:
Texier/someone not-Jenner​
Roslovic - Bemstrom/someone - Bean/Chinakhov/someone
Werenski​

I didn't watch a lot of games last year but it seemed like Laine and Werenski didn't have a great chemistry. RD Jones was clearly a better set-up guy for Laine. That is why I put right-handed Boqvist in the same unit with him and Jake.

What do you guys think?

(Hello to all CBJ fans, I'm a new poster, been reading this forum since the dreadful GMDM days.)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
How will the powerplay units look like next year, with recent offseason changes in the roster and coaching staff? I'm feeling optimistic that the stats will improve, mostly because we now have more and better options for both units. Some stonehands who always had trouble handling and passing the puck quickly (Atkinson, Jenner, Bjorkstrand etc.) are gone or likely to get less time and role this year. I think now there's more playmaking ability in the roster, especially along the boards and blueline in an umbrella set-up. Here's one of my ideas:

1st:
Nyquist​
Laine - Bjorkstrand - Voracek
Boqvist​

2nd:
Texier/someone not-Jenner​
Roslovic - Bemstrom/someone - Bean/Chinakhov/someone
Werenski​

I didn't watch a lot of games last year but it seemed like Laine and Werenski didn't have a great chemistry. RD Jones was clearly a better set-up guy for Laine. That is why I put right-handed Boqvist in the same unit with him and Jake.

What do you guys think?

(Hello to all CBJ fans, I'm a new poster, been reading this forum since the dreadful GMDM days.)

Welcome tunnelvision!

I posted something like the following earlier, which mostly overlaps with yours.

-------- Nyquist
Laine - Roslovic - Voracek
-------- Boqvist

--------- Domi
Laine - Bjorkstrand - Werenski
--------- Bean

- I share the idea that Laine needs a same-handed pointman, just like OV needs an RD in Carlson, and Laine had an RD in Buff in Winnipeg. It's just a quicker setup. More generally I have a fixation on seeing this set-up.

---- L
R - R - L
---- R

- Is there a good reason why we're taking Laine off the powerplay halfway through? He should be on there for the full two minutes just like Ovechkin, and just like McDavid and Draisaitl. He played half the total PP minutes as they did last year.

- I wouldn't put Bjorkstrand in that stonehands group. He was one of our better scorers at 5v4 last year. I have him listed in the bumper as well but that's honestly because I have other ideas in mind for filling the half-wall positions. I'm not sure if Bjorkstrand would be best in the bumper. Roslovic, who in that same chart you'll see was our best PP scorer last year, was outstanding from that middle spot. He's great at ripping pucks that are in his skates.

- Werenski on the half-wall is another one of those things where we haven't really seen it and I really want to see it. He's a potent offensive player that can break a defense and has a fantastic shot, but often seems underwhelming at the top of the umbrella. Let's get him a little bit closer to the net. That and Bean and Boqvist have to get PP time too, so might as well give them the pointman jobs.

- I've got two small passers in the low position. Maybe we'd miss having a big screener there but I want to see more passing from down low, it really stretches the zone and makes a mess of the PKers. I can see them teeing up Laine and Roslovic from the goal line.

- I don't have Bemstrom listed but I'd love to find a way to get him in there. He plays with a shorter stick and might be a better bet for the bumper than Bjorkstrand.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
- I wouldn't put Bjorkstrand in that stonehands group. He was one of our better scorers at 5v4 last year. I have him listed in the bumper as well but that's honestly because I have other ideas in mind for filling the half-wall positions. I'm not sure if Bjorkstrand would be best in the bumper. Roslovic, who in that same chart you'll see was our best PP scorer last year, was outstanding from that middle spot. He's great at ripping pucks that are in his skates.
Generally I define stonehand by the way a player handles the puck in tight spaces. Yes, a stonehand can score and have relatively good stats on a poor PP team. But just imagine Bjorkstand receiving the puck on halfwalls or behind the net with two forecheckers pressuring around him... you very rarely see him succeeding at giving an accurate pass to a teammate or making some creative play to relieve the pressure from puck possession. Same thing with Atkinson and Jenner. Also Wennberg. Foligno was little better at it. For a team it is difficult to create a lot of high danger scoring chances if for most of the time we are just grinding in the corners battling for pucks.

I agree on Werenski. He's got a strong accurate wrister and I can see him score regularly on that spot. He is also a very smart player off the puck, moving constantly searching for open passing lanes and scoring chances.

Agreed also about down low plays. Too bad we don't seem to have any really good passers for those positions but yeah, maybe Nyquist (and later Domi) will be the best we have for opening night.

Reactions: majormajor

pled

Sep 7, 2009
all in for not having jenner on pp but pp isnt gonna work if no one can win a faceoff.

Domi have to show up for anything to start alright on pp or roslo and tex need to practice faceoffs. or who ever show up at camp.

at least kuraly is amazing on faceoff so there's that but that won't help on PP

Prime Stenlund would be good if he ever reach his prime, foudy and sillinger too.

Last edited:
Reactions: VeseleTlacovky

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Welcome tunnelvision!

I posted something like the following earlier, which mostly overlaps with yours.

-------- Nyquist
Laine - Roslovic - Voracek
-------- Boqvist

--------- Domi
Laine - Bjorkstrand - Werenski
--------- Bean

- I share the idea that Laine needs a same-handed pointman, just like OV needs an RD in Carlson, and Laine had an RD in Buff in Winnipeg. It's just a quicker setup. More generally I have a fixation on seeing this set-up.

---- L
R - R - L
---- R

- Is there a good reason why we're taking Laine off the powerplay halfway through? He should be on there for the full two minutes just like Ovechkin, and just like McDavid and Draisaitl. He played half the total PP minutes as they did last year.

- Werenski on the half-wall is another one of those things where we haven't really seen it and I really want to see it. He's a potent offensive player that can break a defense and has a fantastic shot, but often seems underwhelming at the top of the umbrella. Let's get him a little bit closer to the net. That and Bean and Boqvist have to get PP time too, so might as well give them the pointman jobs.

- I've got two small passers in the low position. Maybe we'd miss having a big screener there but I want to see more passing from down low, it really stretches the zone and makes a mess of the PKers. I can see them teeing up Laine and Roslovic from the goal line.

- I don't have Bemstrom listed but I'd love to find a way to get him in there. He plays with a shorter stick and might be a better bet for the bumper than Bjorkstrand.
There was very interesting thing. Torts did PP line Jones, Laine, Foligno, Jenner and Atkinson. And this PP line was very good. Only two problems, Boone`s "stone" hands and that Cam shooted to a goalie. Laine was more a playmaker than a sniper there. But chances to score... a lot.

What`s happen Domi and Nyquist in the front of the net. I don`t know if it`s right. They`re little and a d-men can push away from the net. Besides both of them are more playmakers. Nyquist has very good chemistry with Bjorkstrand.

Don`t forget FO.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
There was very interesting thing. Torts did PP line Jones, Laine, Foligno, Jenner and Atkinson. And this PP line was very good. Only two problems, Boone`s "stone" hands and that Cam shooted to a goalie. Laine was more a playmaker than a sniper there. But chances to score... a lot.

What`s happen Domi and Nyquist in the front of the net. I don`t know if it`s right. They`re little and a d-men can push away from the net. Besides both of them are more playmakers. Nyquist has very good chemistry with Bjorkstrand.

Don`t forget FO.
A good screen doesnt matter if you cant move the puck with purpose and get it to the shooters. Also a huge benefit that Laine can beat a goalie straight.

You dont need to be the biggest guy to play in front of the net but at the same time we dont need somebody to be Pavelski either. Just be distruptive, retrieve pucks and move it with purpose. A won faceoff doesnt mean too much either if you dont know what to do with the puck.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
A good screen doesnt matter if you cant move the puck with purpose and get it to the shooters. Also a huge benefit that Laine can beat a goalie straight.

You dont need to be the biggest guy to play in front of the net but at the same time we dont need somebody to be Pavelski either. Just be distruptive, retrieve pucks and move it with purpose. A won faceoff doesnt mean too much either if you dont know what to do with the puck.
A system would be very important. Whether players in the front of the net would screen or they would be higher to use them in combinations. And I wrote about the first possibility. Jenner screened in the front of the net, Foligno although played center (or middle I don`t know what is right) he often came in the front of the net too because wingers have good shot and used it. Especially Cam. Plus what is very important, Foligno and Jenner were very good around the boards, won many pucks. Of course it would be better to use combination and Voracek should help in it. Besides he`s strenght.
Roslovic is very good in the middle I would let him there.

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
A system would be very important. Whether players in the front of the net would screen or they would be higher to use them in combinations. And I wrote about the first possibility. Jenner screened in the front of the net, Foligno although played center (or middle I don`t know what is right) he often came in the front of the net too because wingers have good shot and used it. Especially Cam. Plus what is very important, Foligno and Jenner were very good around the boards, won many pucks. Of course it would be better to use combination and Voracek should help in it. Besides he`s strenght.
Roslovic is very good in the middle I would let him there.

I agree Ros in the middle. He’s got the most vision and touch to make high tip plays or a tight-quarters pass. He needs a bit of strength and determination to set up shop and not get negated.

Last edited:
Reactions: majormajor

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
While Laine is regrettably not young prime OV, his shot almost certainly at least comes close to the great 8 and should totally be used in PP in (nearly) the same manner Washington is using their best shooter.

Reactions: NotWendell

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Don`t forget FO.

Where we are hopefully going we won't need a screen. If you execute the play with quick passing you won't need one. Laine certainly doesn't want a screen - he can beat a goalie clean and the screener is more likely to block the shot than help him.

In my hypothetical, Domi and Nyquist won't be just standing in front of the net. They'll be more often in position beside the net to either score from the side or make a quick pass to the bumper or for Laine on the far half-wall for a one-timer. It's a job for a skilled player. Quick and accurate passing is the #1 thing required.

FWIW Kyle Connor was in the low position in Winnipeg, he is not a screener.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Where we are hopefully going we won't need a screen. If you execute the play with quick passing you won't need one. Laine certainly doesn't want a screen - he can beat a goalie clean and the screener is more likely to block the shot than help him.

In my hypothetical, Domi and Nyquist won't be just standing in front of the net. They'll be more often in position beside the net to either score from the side or make a quick pass to the bumper or for Laine on the far half-wall for a one-timer. It's a job for a skilled player. Quick and accurate passing is the #1 thing required.

FWIW Kyle Connor was in the low position in Winnipeg, he is not a screener.
I hope you're right but I'm always afraid it. Btw, "from the side" is right, no "higher", although I mean what you wrote.

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Voracek - Roslovic - Björk

Werenski - Laine

Nyquist - Tex - Someone who breaks

Bean - Lehtonen(hopefully he gets the chance)

That first unit looks actually pretty damm good

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Voracek - Roslovic - Björk

Werenski - Laine

Nyquist - Tex - Someone who breaks

Bean - Lehtonen(hopefully he gets the chance)

That first unit looks actually pretty damm good

I can't tell which positions you want them to play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad