GDT: CBJ @ Nashville | 8pm EST | "2013 Season Opener" Edition

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Agree with all of this except Umberger, who disappointed me tonight. Dubinsky has a lot more in him than he showed tonight. I saw the same positive plays from Johansen that everyone else saw, but I just don't feel like he has a high "compete" level. Seems to make a play, or fail at making a play, and then give up. Still, the talent is definitely there, though he didn't get a lot of chances to show it off tonight.

Hard to review a game like tonight's, as you can't tell how much is chemistry, rust, and so on. I didn't like the Jackets' play in their own zone, for the most part. Thought the D looked much better out of our zone. Same for the forwards.
I agree strongly with this.

As for Tyutin / Nikitin, how long until they start getting the recognition their play deserves?

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
impressions:

shaky early, lots of breakdowns leading to odd rushes. reminded me of last year. They settled down and gained strength and confidence as the game wore on. It was fun to watch after watching things go the other way so often.

The thing that strikes me about tonight, and yes, it's only one game, but is how well the 'system' worked. It's a perfect example of what a team of 2/3 line guys can do. Each line is more or less the same with some tweaks, creating wave after wave of pressure. It did not let up much tonight, particularly in the third period. Seeing the team perform as a complete unit rather than this line being good or that line being weak was a pleasure. I want to see it more.

Cool, calm and collected. No one really shat the bed like we're used to with a bad pass or turnover. Recovery from mistakes was excellent.

Pretty much every player had a decent outing. The spectrum probably goes from Anisimov/Bob to Umby/Dubi. I thought Umby was very soft and slow. He did not seem to want to have anything to do with the ice between the dots, as if it were infested with sharks. Dubi can do better. I've seen enough rangers games to know that. Maybe it was just matchups, but I was disappointed in his play tonight.

iamthewalrus

Aug 1, 2010
Connecticut
grats with Ani. I was one of the few on this side of the deal who was not a fan of the trade (doesnt help Dubi is my favorite player), hopefully my doubts are settled soon though =P gg

Nikita Filatov

Jan 3, 2009
Columbus
Ehhhhhhhhhh, let's not get too carried away.

But he has been playing great when he found Nik. What a monster pairing that is right now.

http://nhlnumbers.com/2012/5/30/top-defensive-pairings

Probably already seen this, but he's already part of one of the best shutdown pairings in the league, and he's been on pace for 30 points or more in 3 out of his 4 seasons here. He is one of our best players (opinion), and one of the best statistical defensemen in the league. (fact)

Also would like to add that I'd love to see Letestu out there or even Gillies instead of Boll, even if it's on the wing I bet Letestu could contribute more than what we saw tonight. Especially if we're trying to roll all the lines out evenly.

deetman

Oct 31, 2009
Philadelphia
Credit goes to Skraut's post on the main boards.

Boll telling a Nashville fan to eat more pizza.

eatmorepizza.gif

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
When I saw his hand coming up to his mouth I was thinking "oh no! Not the Wisniewski motion!" But turns out it was just an "eat more fatso."

aRussian

Oct 21, 2007
Ohio
After reading through the comments, I feel like I really wouldn't be adding much.

Pretty open and chippy game since it's odd timing.
Umby: someone said it already, you can tell he was coaching and not playing.
Calvert: Wheelz but not muscle. Loses board battles.
Cam: Me Likey
Anisimov: Did the guy shoot on the forehand at all? Haha. Wonder what kind of magic is on that side of the stick
Bob: Was scared with first minutes but he more than made up for it.

Hope we can carry this and get the Wangs. They may be more than a tad embarassed by the thrashing by the Blues...

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Random observations.

John Moore quietly had an oustanding game. 15 solid minutes. He looked better than Aucoin, and bailed out his partner a few times.

Top line was overmatched by a tough Nashville D pairing. They are going to have some rough nights.

Bobrovsky really palyed well. The first goal was fluky, he's gotta stop it though. The second goal was the result of goal tender interference on Hornqvist.

Anisimov/Dubinsky obviously our best tandem. I don't know about Dorsett on the line, but 15 played a physical and SMART game tonight.

No stupid penalties, credit the whole team for that imo.

Johnson played well, Wiz was so so.

Atkinson was dangerous, looked good imo, but his linemates weren't so hot.

Overall I can't say anyone was bad tonight, and thats probably what this team has to have everynight if they want to win games.

We simply outworked them from the 2nd period on imo.

Weber can't fight, good thing he fell down early.

Foligno is great, I won't miss Methot as much as I thought...though he was a beast in his Senators debut.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4