GDT: CBJ @ Nashville | 8pm EST | "2013 Season Opener" Edition

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
“@RobMixer: Looks like the full group skating today at Nationwide Arena. #CBJ coach Todd Richards having a pow-wow to begin practice. #CBJ”

“@RobMixer: #CBJ lines have not changed from last night's game vs. Nashville.”

“@RobMixer: #CBJ doing a lot of "off the rush" drills today. Getting speed through the middle and moving the puck north, much like they did last night.”

“@RobMixer: Todd Richards has gathered the team at center ice. Looks like we're wrapping up a brief but energetic skate. #CBJ”

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Sadly only got to watch the highlights of last nights game. Anisimov is gonna be a good one. Right now, I'm watching the Rangers vs Bruinsgame, and I have to say, Rick doesn't look too good. He looks nervous and confused. Not to mention he's getting thrown around a lot by Chara.

Soo looking forward to kicking the **** out of the Wings. :yo:

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
“@RobMixer: #CB coach Todd Richards said some players have “bumps and bruises,” but nothing to alter the lineup tomorrow.”

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
“@RobMixer: #CBJ haven’t yet decided on a starting goaltender for tomorrow, Richards said. He was asked if it was to keep the goalies guessing…”

“@RobMixer: Richards quipped: “I don’t know if it’s to keep them guessing, but it’s to keep someone guessing.” #CBJ”

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
No way they're that bad tomorrow.

Even if Howard is being exposed as incredibly overrated. :naughty:

The crazy thing is, from what I've seen and heard, Howard did a surprisingly good job keeping the score from being even worse.

That said, his stats so far don't back that up, obviously :)

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
The crazy thing is, from what I've seen and heard, Howard did a surprisingly good job keeping the score from being even worse.

That said, his stats so far don't back that up, obviously :)

Howie was ok but didn't make those game breaking saves. 3 goals were on breakway iirc.

He is probably the least of Wings problems right now.

As for the game, they looked like expected; hard working, balanced team. D played well enough, Tyutin-Nikitin were awesome. JJ and Wish need to pick it up, especially offensively. Short season, better get it going fast and get that rust off.

Though I have to say that Nashville wasn't good last night. They aren't a playoff team if that's their level.

Anisimov.. yeah baby. I hope he continues form here, it wasn't just a flash that he showed in KHL.

Happy Pony

Jan 17, 2006
Columbus
Howie was ok but didn't make those game breaking saves. 3 goals were on breakway iirc.

As for the game, they looked like expected; hard working, balanced team. D played well enough, Tyutin-Nikitin were awesome. JJ and Wish need to pick it up, especially offensively. Short season, better get it going fast and get that rust off.

Though I have to say that Nashville wasn't good last night. They aren't a playoff team if that's their level.

Anisimov.. yeah baby. I hope he continues form here, it wasn't just a flash that he showed in KHL.

The difference between playing and not playing during the lockout.

Paisano*

Nashville has basically the same team minus Suter and Tootoo that they had last year that went two deep in the playoffs. I would like to say our improved play, that they aren't used to seeing, befuddled them! Most of the experts are projecting them into the post season.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
Not Gonna Lie, the loss of Suter is going to be a glaring in Nashville. He was overshadowed by Weber but Suter was the foundation of that Pair. Weber is still great, but the loss of Suter is a major blow to that defense, they no longer have the all situation supremacy with Suter gone, and Weber won't be able to take so many risks offensively without maybe the best defensive defenseman in the game by his side (at least without exposing the Preds to odd man rushes).

bizzz*

А я не согласен. Atkinson needs a center with a good playmaking ability. Anisimov is more like a puck hog, passing is not among his best skills. Those two guys just don't complement each other very well.
Pairing Anisimov and Atkinson would be like Nash-Carter experiment all over again.

Last edited by a moderator:

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
I really think that later in the year with some experience Atkinson and Johansen will work. They put up ridiculous numbers together in the AHL when they were on the same line at the beginning of the season.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Nashville has basically the same team minus Suter and Tootoo that they had last year that went two deep in the playoffs. I would like to say our improved play, that they aren't used to seeing, befuddled them! Most of the experts are projecting them into the post season.

Don't overlook Josi and Ellis. Josi is well on his way to being a plug-in-and-go replacement for Suter, and Ellis was bloody terrifying last night 'round our net.

JrussJacket

May 26, 2004
Twitter @jrusscbj

It was only one game. I dont think Nashville looked all that bad, in fact I thought their D looked very good. I imagine in a couple weeks Trotz will have them playing just as they were last year.

As for CBJ, Sloppy as expected but I really like the fact that we battled back twice! Anisimov was outstanding! Like others I thought Johan was great!

Paisano*

Don't overlook Josi and Ellis. Josi is well on his way to being a plug-in-and-go replacement for Suter, and Ellis was bloody terrifying last night 'round our net.

Which in that case makes our win even better! We came from behind twice in Nashville!! Others may say its only one game but I think it makes a statement. The entire hockey world has us dead last in the league. Most of those prognosticators have the Preds going deep in the playoffs, I even saw one that said they'd win the Cup! So by their standards we should have been blown out like Detroit. We weren't, we played hard, we won! I know, just one game, these guys have something to prove, I'm encouraged!

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Which in that case makes our win even better! We came from behind twice in Nashville!! Others may say its only one game but I think it makes a statement. The entire hockey world has us dead last in the league. Most of those prognosticators have the Preds going deep in the playoffs, I even saw one that said they'd win the Cup! So by their standards we should have been blown out like Detroit. We weren't, we played hard, we won! I know, just one game, these guys have something to prove, I'm encouraged!

I still tend to be a little more subdued in my enthusiasm. While I am thrilled that we won last night, I am still waiting to see how we do against teams like the Preds when they are rounded into form. We played a good brand of hockey last night that suited us well in this early stage of the shortened season.

If the CBJ are able to elevate their game while everyone else does, and realizes success, then I will be ecstatic.

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I still tend to be a little more subdued in my enthusiasm. While I am thrilled that we won last night, I am still waiting to see how we do against teams like the Preds when they are rounded into form. We played a good brand of hockey last night that suited us well in this early stage of the shortened season.

If the CBJ are able to elevate their game while everyone else does, and realizes success, then I will be ecstatic.

Likewise, more or less. I'm curious as to how far we get once all that's in play...

...and I'm really looking forward to seeing it in progress. :D

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Watching the NFL games with my Dad, we're huge NFL fans, and all we can talk about is the game last night.

Zarathustra

This is not my hat.
Nov 21, 2007
Salzburg
I find it encouraging that so many players said that we have a better team than what we' getting credit for. and they seemed very excited about the win. I think that they want to prove something. that makes me more excited than anything else.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
An improved Powerplay and Penalty Kill more than makes up for Nash being gone.

We will finally play a team powerplay. Nash on the half wall for the last 4 years has killed us because he doesn't have much of a shot. The day he left the post in front of the net, our powerplay dove into oblivion.

That and not having a bottom pair of Kris Russel and Grant Clitsome should help.

League average goaltending, league average PP and PK... we'll compete.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->