Confirmed Signing with Link: [CBJ] Jackets and Seth Jones agree to deal (6 years, $5.4M AAV)

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
pk is the highest paid dman in the league I doubt he would get paid much more if he kept being a top dman in the league. Maybe if the cap keeps going up but montreal really should of bridged him.

If he loves montreal as much as he says he does I'm sure he would sign there as an ufa for the highest salary for a dman in the league.

Just an example tho. I know contracts will keep going up but that bridge did not help montreal.

Salaries will keep going up for sure. doughty was already at 7m

so when PK would have become a free agent in 2018 havign played with a 5.5 or so contract... he would have probably asked for at 9.. but then you have that 9m at 8 years and his last three years would be at 33 34 and 35 years old. thats the only thing. And dont forget the risk of leavign is also high.. to 'play the market' liek Stamkos. you can get tempted to try for 10m or more

this way he is signed for the peak years of his hockey career. and not past 34 where D men tend to slow down.

but as I said.. based on potential.. this is a great deal and im sure hell live up to it (Jones)

if he stays a 30 point d man though..which i doubt..

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Pouliot makes 4.0 Jones makes 5.4 Wowowow.
Even better ,
Sekera makes 5.5 -Jones makes 5.4 Double Wowowow.

Even better,
Subban makes 9, Josi makes 4 Triple wowowowow:shakehead

As for the deal, good for both parties. Jones will be a stud, Jackets lock up an important piece.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Damn ... substract 1.3M and you could of had shaw for the same terme. Columbus got fleeced!!!

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
If Columbus ever makes the next jump and becomes a competitive team its going to be because of the blue line and Jones will be the one leading it. The team knows this and went out and got Brad Shaw as an assistant coach from St.Louis to try and get all the help and support they can for these young D to succeed

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
isnt Ryan Murray their #1 D?

I think Jones' acquisition changed that. He is ahead of the curve than Murray is and possesses superior physical tools. If not now, I see Jones easily being CLB's numero uno on D in the very near future.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
This deal is a steal. Wow. If you can get young guys to take less aav but more term, you skip the bridge deal every time. This is such a fantastic price in the long-run.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Seems like i'm in the minority, but that's a pretty hefty caphit for a kid that hasn't done much in the league. I guess I don't see the offensive upside in Jones that most others do.

Shadow Flyer

Why So Serious?
Aug 2, 2008
The Interwebs
Fantastic deal. That is going to be a complete steal down the road.

And now Columbus fans won't have to put up with the offer sheet crap anymore. Amen.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Good deal for an up and coming defender quickly rising the ranks of top defenders. 5.4 is a reasonable number to try and keep the rest of their young defence under for now, least they have 6 seasons now before they worry about if he's gonna command 9 million

Major Happy*

May 2, 2016
Wow, great deal for Jones.

Hasnt proven anything and becomes a UFA at a very young age.

Terrible deal for CBJ.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014

You're not necessarily wrong. I'm just stating my opinion that Jones is CLB's 1D. My point is based on the notion that if Murray was doing a good job as a 1D, why would CLB consider dealing away RyJo for Jones? Yes, RyJo's relationship with their franchise was tumultuous and that also played a role in him being dealt, but no team just gives up a franchise player like that (the Thornton and Seguin and other such hastily conjured trades notwithstanding) unless it's for a piece that's better than what they have, if you know what I mean.

Chez Weber

King of the North
Jun 27, 2011
Montreal
Great deal but it eats up 0 UFA years. Jones is going to get a big paycheck after this contract whether its from the Jackets or not

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I think Jones' acquisition changed that. He is ahead of the curve than Murray is and possesses superior physical tools. If not now, I see Jones easily being CLB's numero uno on D in the very near future.

They kind of split it. But i think Jones will run away with it, he had a couple 25 minute + towards the end of the season.

For everyone saying Jones is "just okay" is because he averages 19 minutes a night in Nashville and 24 in Columbus. Give him an offseason in the hardest training camp in the league and we'll see how he turns out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad