Confirmed Signing with Link: [CBJ] Jackets and Seth Jones agree to deal (6 years, $5.4M AAV)

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Even better,
Subban makes 9, Josi makes 4 Triple wowowowow:shakehead

As for the deal, good for both parties. Jones will be a stud, Jackets lock up an important piece.

Josi is the most overrated defensemen in the league. People calling Karlsson bad defensivly should really look at Josi play. He is a great offensivly but is useless defensivly.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
You're not necessarily wrong. I'm just stating my opinion that Jones is CLB's 1D. My point is based on the notion that if Murray was doing a good job as a 1D, why would CLB consider dealing away RyJo for Jones? Yes, RyJo's relationship with their franchise was tumultuous and that also played a role in him being dealt, but no team just gives up a franchise player like that (the Thornton and Seguin and other such hastily conjured trades notwithstanding) unless it's for a piece that's better than what they have, if you know what I mean.
Because our RHD was barren. Savard was our #1RHD, Prout #2, Goloubef#3

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Great deal but it eats up 0 UFA years. Jones is going to get a big paycheck after this contract whether its from the Jackets or not

He probably could've got more $$$ if the term was longer and it ate up some more UFA years but this way the Jackets keep the cap-hit down for a player that is still pretty much mostly potential thereby mitigating their risk.

Last edited:

Mustard

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville
Josi is the most overrated defensemen in the league. People falling Karlsson bad defensivly should really look at Josi play. He is a great offensivly but is useless defensivly.

What? Have you watched Josi play? He is very good in transition offensively but his agility and active stick on the back end is all-world. This is the most ridiculous things I've read all day.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Josi is the most overrated defensemen in the league. People calling Karlsson bad defensivly should really look at Josi play. He is a great offensivly but is useless defensivly.
Wow...Josi is great defensively. I take it you're just throwing something out there to get a reaction. Because this is ridiculous.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
Because our RHD was barren. Savard was our #1RHD, Prout #2, Goloubef#3

IMO, this just wasn't about getting a RHD for balance. If Savard was a good #1RHD or (as I see it) a good top-pairing guy, your management would have sought out cheaper options for RHD to fill out the 3/4 spot that wouldn't have involved giving up a franchise centerman.

Then again, one can argue that management decided to jettison a problem before it became malignant during the off-season and get a vastly better upgrade than what they initially wanted. It was the perfect trading situation with Nashville and they exploited it well.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON

You should take your own advice.

This is an amazing deal for CBJ. Jones is now on one of the best contracts in the league for his position.
CBJ fans are losing their minds with Joy right now.

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
You're not necessarily wrong. I'm just stating my opinion that Jones is CLB's 1D. My point is based on the notion that if Murray was doing a good job as a 1D, why would CLB consider dealing away RyJo for Jones? Yes, RyJo's relationship with their franchise was tumultuous and that also played a role in him being dealt, but no team just gives up a franchise player like that (the Thornton and Seguin and other such hastily conjured trades notwithstanding) unless it's for a piece that's better than what they have, if you know what I mean.

#1 potential RHD are rare but always seem to hold higher value for some reason.

recent norris winners and finalists have been pre dominantly RHD

RyJo was a coaches beef as well as the org havign poor negotiating histopry with the player i imagine

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
No. He is #2 and Weresnki might make him #3 in a year or so.

has he played like a #2 overall selection? dont watch much of CBJ and when i do get the chance.. he was often injured.

Also his stats are eerily similar to Seth Jones' stats.

and he was injured and missed almost his whoel sophmore season

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
has he played like a #2 overall selection? dont watch much of CBJ and when i do get the chance.. he was often injured.

Murray played all his games last season though.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC

Murray is good but he doesn't possess the tools/upside that Jones has. Murray is a more cerebral, safer type of player.

Pretty nice looking deal for the Jackets here.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
They kind of split it. But i think Jones will run away with it, he had a couple 25 minute + towards the end of the season.

For everyone saying Jones is "just okay" is because he averages 19 minutes a night in Nashville and 24 in Columbus. Give him an offseason in the hardest training camp in the league and we'll see how he turns out.
So his offseason now is going to develop him better than the one he used in Nashville, you know where they developed Weber, Josi, Suter, Hamhuis, Ekholm, Ellis, Timonen, Skrastins, Franson, etc?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00