Confirmed Signing with Link: [CBJ] Jackets and Seth Jones agree to deal (6 years, $5.4M AAV)

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
It's fair value and a good gamble that Jones will continue to improve. Maybe it turns out to be a steal in a couple years, but I think it's a little premature to say for certain it's a steal right now.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Will probably be a very good deal, as usual it will all depend on what the player ends up developing into.

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
Great deal then.. Important to get a couple of UFA years in there and at a great cap hit

if u bridge it for two years... at say 3m per... you can then sign a long term 8 year deal at say 7 or 8 if he proves him self.... and this way you buy 5 years of UFA

and sure the hit is 2m higher but what will his cap hit b in six years when he is a UFA

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
A bit high on the dollars I think, but they had the very real risk of an offer sheet. Also I could be judging it as high because it's $1.4m higher than Josi, yet he isn't better than Josi.

The extra $1.4m is for when he becomes better than Josi I suppose, which may very well happen.

Either way, it's not a bad deal. Good on Columbus :handclap:

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
The key, that no one has brought up, is this also sets the market for what Murray and Werenski will get if they develop like we hope.

Boot

Oct 20, 2010
Buffalo twice a week on HF

Only twice a week? Man, I'm so glad to hear that they've been calming down with them.

Thank god no one would dare offer sheet Risto though, that just wouldn't make sense.

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
was like the PK bridge deal. We could have signed him for 5.5 in 2012 for 6 years.
sure we save cap hit after first two years which were bridged at 2.75per

but he would also be a UFA at 29 next summer, and once they sign that first big deal, they may be looking for change of scenery and pose a greater flight risk.. i.e. Stamkos

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Exactly what I expected because that's the going rate for young dmen with potential.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
if u bridge it for two years... at say 3m per... you can then sign a long term 8 year deal at say 7 or 8 if he proves him self.... and this way you buy 5 years of UFA

and sure the hit is 2m higher but what will his cap hit b in six years when he is a UFA

Your assuming he was not going to offer sheeted.. Its the New NHL, Canada $ is weak, cap is pretty stagnate, the dynamic seems different. I think teams are going to become more predatory.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad