Confirmed Signing with Link: [CBJ] Jackets and Seth Jones agree to deal (6 years, $5.4M AAV)

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Josi is the most overrated defensemen in the league. People calling Karlsson bad defensivly should really look at Josi play. He is a great offensivly but is useless defensivly.

Thanks for sharing.

* * *​
So his offseason now is going to develop him better than the one he used in Nashville, you know where they developed Weber, Josi, Suter, Hamhuis, Ekholm, Ellis, Timonen, Skrastins, Franson, etc?

He'll be prepping for more minutes now, which ought to help. It's less "Nashville sucks" and more "he didn't have the opportunity/time to shine in Nashville and that artificially depressed his stats" - and that last really ought to be indisputable.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
A bit high on the dollars I think, but they had the very real risk of an offer sheet. Also I could be judging it as high because it's $1.4m higher than Josi, yet he isn't better than Josi.

The extra $1.4m is for when he becomes better than Josi I suppose, which may very well happen.

Either way, it's not a bad deal. Good on Columbus :handclap:

To be fair, Josi is worth a lot more than his contract. A lot.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
This sucks. I can't believe a worthless GM like JK offered a deal like this.

Oh... wait... You mean it's a good deal. Crap! I wanted to continue to hammer the guy.

Signed,
50% of the CBJ fan base :D

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
At least this should end the "offer sheet" discussions and how CBJ is screwed. This is a very solid deal for both parties.

Now time to clear some roster space for the young players ready to push their way on to the roster.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Josi is the most overrated defensemen in the league. People calling Karlsson bad defensivly should really look at Josi play. He is a great offensivly but is useless defensivly.

Josi is excellent. Top 10D in the league ATM, and rising.

Back on topic, excellent contract for the CBJs. Nice change of pace for them, given all the rough contracts on their books.

I'm just thrilled this monster-in-the-making is out of the Western Conference, and out of the Central Division.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
It's unbelievable how Columbus has currently the 2nd highest cap hit in the league.

But if he ever lives up to the hype this will be a steal in a couple years, a Tavares-like contract.

GigaChad

Oct 9, 2013
I think this deal was good,
Saad trade and deal was good
Prospects are like the best in the whole nhl
John Tortorella is tough but the team needed that in my opinion

Being in cap hell is bad.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Josi has nothing to do with this signing. They're 2 different players who signed contracts at different stages. I don't think anyone expected Josi to become as good as he is, but it's very realistic to say Jones will be better than Josi.

Excellent deal.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
An offer sheet was never a concern. He's been in Columbus almost all summer, including at the draft party on Friday.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Pretty solid deal for both sides. This contract is further proof of how great a deal Brodie is signed to though.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Trouba cannot be asking more than Jones can he? IMO there is no reason what so ever Chevy should give him a deal even close to Jones'

Trouba should be even getting less than Rielly's 5 mill per year deal

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
We are very excited to see what our young defensemen can do together

Murray Jones
Werenski Savard
Johnson Prout

Goloubef Kukan Harrington

Bob
McE Korp or Forsberg

Prout just got a new 1 way contract so I think he is our #6, but could see potential movement of someone.

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
Solid deal for the Jackets. They're pretty much paying him for what he is right now (a top-4 dman), which ignores the fact that he's still very young and should improve each season.

lindroshomer

Jan 21, 2016
Ontario
Was on the toilet this morning reading he's going to get 7+ million a year.

What a deal, I read CBJ was 5.4 under the cap?

Very good by the CBJ front office. I think this deal sets a precedent for the rest of the league in regards to young D men who've not really done anything in the league getting absurd money.

Makes me think Ekblad is getting something lower than 6.5.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->