Confirmed Signing with Link: [CBJ] Jackets and Seth Jones agree to deal (6 years, $5.4M AAV)

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Was on the toilet this morning reading he's going to get 7+ million a year.

What a deal, I read CBJ was 5.4 under the cap?

Very good by the CBJ front office. I think this deal sets a precedent for the rest of the league in regards to young D men who've not really done anything in the league getting absurd money.

Makes me think Ekblad is getting something lower than 6.5.

What Ekblad needs to consider is how his cap will impact Florida's cap situation. The less he takes, the more Florida can spend on other talent. If he's committed to the team long term, then that's definitely a consideration I feel he'd make. It's not really a consideration as he enters his prime and/or isn't planning on a long term deal with the team.

I think Ekblad is worth $6.5 million x 8 years.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Very good deal. Jones is a quality top-four player right now and if he continues developing this will be an incredible steal.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Quietly a very solid deal for CBJ underneath all the big news could easily turn into a great contract in 2 years time.

Mister Twister

Jun 24, 2016
Calgary, AB
Loving this deal. Was hoping for a Saad-like deal so we can get his best years on a lower value then they're probably worth, because he's probably gonna be worth more than $5.4M when he hits his prime.

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
Good job signing Seth long term, Jarmo! Definitely came in cheaper than the majority of us figured

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Jones should fire his agent, could have gotten at LEAST a million more per year on an offer sheet probably more.

You know, not every contract has to be about squeezing every last cent out of the team. He felt it was a fair contract and I am sure the people advising him did too.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Where is.the poster that fought all of us for monthes saying how likely it was for an offer sheet. I've been saying Jones would have to actually want to leave the team and why would he want that when he has great chemistry with another young guy and the team is loaded with young talent. The kid just wanted a fair amount and move on. People in here confused about why he wouldn't wait to get more money from an offer sheet... it shows his true character that he wanted the deal done so the team didn't have to stress about it because he had 0 intention of leaving and it wasn't about squeezing every last penny out of the team he could. Guys know in a cap league that the more money you take the more it hurts the team from signing everyone so the unselfish guys take fair value and don't worry about a few extra 100k because they are set for life with deals like he just got.

At the end of the day great job GMJK and Jones for doing what's best for the team long term. Happy we got team first Jones instead of the hold out selfish lazy ryjo.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
What Ekblad needs to consider is how his cap will impact Florida's cap situation. The less he takes, the more Florida can spend on other talent. If he's committed to the team long term, then that's definitely a consideration I feel he'd make. It's not really a consideration as he enters his prime and/or isn't planning on a long term deal with the team.

I think Ekblad is worth $6.5 million x 8 years.

Depends on what he has accomplished.

Would it be Ekblad's issue that they pay Yandle over $6 million per season?

Ekblad should get more than Hamilton, definitely starting at $6 million. Depends on how he sees the team. I would think at his age, 8 years is too long. 6 years like Barkov brings Ekblad to age 27 when the deal expires. Allows him to lock up for 8 years afterwards and take him to 35.

Which, IMO works out great for both sides. A lot of people are wondering how these big name UFAs like Backes, Ladd, Ericsson, etc. will produce in years 5-6 of a contract that they will sign this summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->