Confirmed Signing with Link: [CBJ] Jackets and Seth Jones agree to deal (6 years, $5.4M AAV)

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
#1 potential RHD are rare but always seem to hold higher value for some reason.

Because right shooters in general are quite rare- forward or defense.

recent norris winners and finalists have been pre dominantly RHD

That may just be coincidence. Some of the most prolific winners of the trophy in Harvey, Lidstrom, Orr and Bourque, have been all left-shooters. Then again, left-shooters are all too common in the NHL.

RyJo was a coaches beef as well as the org havign poor negotiating histopry with the player i imagine

I think that did play a role, but I happen to think Columbus did need a major piece on D and Nashville's desire for some offensive oomph created the perfect storm.

VanTampaFan

Jul 16, 2010
Toronto
Im really surprised that he didnt wait for an offer sheet. He probably left $6mm on the table over the life of that contract.

Kentucky

Mar 25, 2014
Jones, Murray and Werenski are a great young core to build the D around.

Great deal for Jones and the Jackets.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Smoking deal for Jones and the CBJs. Might be a tad high next season, but this will be a steal within the next 2 years. Good on CBJ.

jboknows

Feb 9, 2010
I think Morgan Rielly's contract set a bit of a precedent this year for young, future star, defencemen.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Maybe, just maybe Jones actually likes playing for Columbus and wanted to get a deal done that's market value for him.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Salaries will keep going up for sure. doughty was already at 7m

so when PK would have become a free agent in 2018 havign played with a 5.5 or so contract... he would have probably asked for at 9.. but then you have that 9m at 8 years and his last three years would be at 33 34 and 35 years old. thats the only thing. And dont forget the risk of leavign is also high.. to 'play the market' liek Stamkos. you can get tempted to try for 10m or more

this way he is signed for the peak years of his hockey career. and not past 34 where D men tend to slow down.

but as I said.. based on potential.. this is a great deal and im sure hell live up to it (Jones)

if he stays a 30 point d man though..which i doubt..
Idk if he is as good as a 9 mill contract warrants chances are he will be worth it or close enough to suffer for a year or 2 till 35. But he does check alot which is hard on the body so maybe not but who knows.

Really the only reason to bridge or not bridge in my mind is to hit peak years of a low cap hit when you're going for the cup so you can spend on other pieces.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->