Confirmed Signing with Link: [CBJ] Jackets and Seth Jones agree to deal (6 years, $5.4M AAV)

major major

Feb 18, 2013
A bit high on the dollars I think, but they had the very real risk of an offer sheet. Also I could be judging it as high because it's $1.4m higher than Josi, yet he isn't better than Josi.

The extra $1.4m is for when he becomes better than Josi I suppose, which may very well happen.

Either way, it's not a bad deal. Good on Columbus :handclap:

?? Josi is perhaps the most underpaid long term deal in the league. You can't use him as a benchmark.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
based on his play or potential? Morgan Reilyl only got 5 per.. and he has had a better first 3 seasons then Jones

Those two are pretty even right now, and Jones has higher potential. Not saying Rielly doesn't have high potential but Jones is off the charts.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
if u bridge it for two years... at say 3m per... you can then sign a long term 8 year deal at say 7 or 8 if he proves him self.... and this way you buy 5 years of UFA

and sure the hit is 2m higher but what will his cap hit b in six years when he is a UFA
I honestly think bridge deals are just asking for trouble. Shows a player you didn't have confidence in him so he can just decide to go to arbitration and wait out his contract.

Plus if he does break out he's not gonna give you a good deal on his longterm after not believing in him.

Could get hot for a year or 2 during his bridge fall back to Earth and get a fluke norris and then be way overpaid for his next contract.

Betting right on skipping a bridge also gives you the chance to overload for some cup runs if things time up right and you bet right.

If you're think a player is good enough to skip his bridge even if he doesn't turn out he probably plays better for cheaper than a ufa would cost you.

Also I don't think his bridge would of been 3 mill anyways.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
?? Josi is perhaps the most underpaid long term deal in the league. You can't use him as a benchmark.

When I said "I could be judging it as high because it's (...) more than Josi, but he isn't better than Josi," I meant for it to come across as me using something unreasonable as a benchmark. Sorry, I could have been more clear.

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
I honestly think bridge deals are just asking for trouble. Shows a player you didn't have confidence in him so he can just decide to go to arbitration and wait out his contract.

Plus if he does break out he's not gonna give you a good deal on his longterm after not believing in him.

Could get hot for a year or 2 during his bridge fall back to Earth and get a fluke norris and then be way overpaid for his next contract.

Betting right on skipping a bridge also gives you the chance to overload for some cup runs if things time up right and you bet right.

If you're think a player is good enough to skip his bridge even if he doesn't turn out he probably plays better for cheaper than a ufa would cost you.

Also I don't think his bridge would of been 3 mill anyways.

if a d man were to get a fluke norris (whatever that is) and finish second in voting the followign year... dotn you think his contract woudl be higher after the 5 year deal.

a bridge is two years at 2.75 which is what pk was offered.. he wins the norris and gets 9. so you have him for 10 year and is an UFA at 34

if he signs a five year deal at 5.5 instead.. still wins the norris... he might pull a stamkos after year five and try to break the bank.

especially if he also finishess top 3 a second year for the norris

then at 29.. he becomes a UFA and you risk losing him for free.

and if not.. dont you think PK contract would be higher then 9 if he were a free agent in 2018. not to mention that if you sign him for 7 or 8 years then his last three years are at 34 35 and 36 as opposed to 32 33 and 34 yo

big difference. However this isnt the case with Jones.

Based on Potential Value.. this is a great deal. based on play however.. he has been just ok..

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
My god. What a fantastic deal for Columbus!!! And just when they needed it, too!

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014

I think Jones clearly had a better negotiating position than Josi when the latter extended. Jones is Columbus #1D and CLB gave up a franchise #1C to get him. He had to be signed. This is still a great deal for CLB despite the fact that the player had the upper hand during negotiations.

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
I think Jones clearly had a better negotiating position than Josi when the latter extended. Jones is Columbus #1D and CLB gave up a franchise #1C to get him. He had to be signed. This is still a great deal for CLB despite the fact that the player had the upper hand during negotiations.

isnt Ryan Murray their #1 D?

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
if a d man were to get a fluke norris (whatever that is) and finish second in voting the followign year... dotn you think his contract woudl be higher after the 5 year deal.

a bridge is two years at 2.75 which is what pk was offered.. he wins the norris and gets 9. so you have him for 10 year and is an UFA at 34

if he signs a five year deal at 5.5 instead.. still wins the norris... he might pull a stamkos after year five and try to break the bank.

especially if he also finishess top 3 a second year for the norris

then at 29.. he becomes a UFA and you risk losing him for free.

and if not.. dont you think PK contract would be higher then 9 if he were a free agent in 2018. not to mention that if you sign him for 7 or 8 years then his last three years are at 34 35 and 36 as opposed to 32 33 and 34 yo

big difference. However this isnt the case with Jones.

Based on Potential Value.. this is a great deal. based on play however.. he has been just ok..
pk is the highest paid dman in the league I doubt he would get paid much more if he kept being a top dman in the league. Maybe if the cap keeps going up but montreal really should of bridged him.

If he loves montreal as much as he says he does I'm sure he would sign there as an ufa for the highest salary for a dman in the league.

Just an example tho. I know contracts will keep going up but that bridge did not help montreal. Could probably sign him for less now if his contract was up.No norris votes and the team sucked without price.

And wasn't his norris during the half lockout season? That's what seems flukey or 'lucky' about it and the timing where a 13 year keith at 5.5 probably helped the Hawks a little with their cap runs.

Last edited:

preds1

Apr 2, 2010
TN
Not bad, good for Columbus.
A little high now, but should be a great deal later if he keeps progressing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad