Player Discussion Casey Mittelstadt (2017, 8th) #37 - Part III

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I've been trying hard to avoid mentioning the "contract year" aspect of his sudden surge. I badly want it to not be totally about that.
Why would would it be totally about that. He wasn’t doing much before the coaching change. He also had a “contract year” last year. He still doesn’t have much leverage without arbitration.

He put in the work in the offseason to be ready for this year. He finally got an opportunity under Granato and has run with it. Don’t overthink it. Just enjoy it.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Why would would it be totally about that. He wasn’t doing much before the coaching change. He also had a “contract year” last year. He still doesn’t have much leverage without arbitration.

He put in the work in the offseason to be ready for this year and finally got an opportunity under Granato. He has run with it and then some.Don’t overthink it. Just enjoy it.
Like I said, I've been trying hard to do just that.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
It shouldn’t be hard at all

EDIT: to be fair to you though we’re Sabres fans. We generally look for the dark cloud when things go well on this team. :laugh:
So true. :laugh: I want it to not be true, but that's going to require some guys continuing to play hard and earn the money they're already contractually guaranteed. Kind of the opposite of a 40 goal scorer becoming a 5 goal scorer in just two years at age 28 (looking at you Skinner).

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
He should be our #2 center next year.

Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart
Thompson-Mitts-Cozens

A beauty top 6.
It might be PTSD but that 2nd line makes me nervous. They've played well but I think I'd want a bit more experience on the 2nd line

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
How about

Oloffson-Eichel-Reinhart
Skinner-Mitts-Cozens

I like Asplund - Mittelstadt - Thompson. Maybe add Quinn in there at some point next year. Reinhart and Eichel should be separated. We will be a better hockey team.

2 others

Mar 9, 2021
Still not satisfied with him, not because he plays badly. On the contrary, but i think he has a much higher ceiling.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
So... what do we offer him? Short deal at two million? Longer at 3.5-4.5?
I am definitely of the mindset of locking him up now. The price is only going to go up and Middelstadt looks like a first liner right now. Let's not make the same mistake we made with Reinhart. I understand Reinhart proved a lot more and there was more reason to lock him up but Casey has made a believer out of me.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
He should be our #2 center next year.

Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart
Thompson-Mitts-Cozens

A beauty top 6.
Why waste Cozens on the wing when he's been perfectly fine center and a two way player. Put him down the center and find someone else to play 2RW in the off season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad