Player Discussion Casey Mittelstadt (2017, 8th) #37 - Part III

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
This “new” young core looks like it has no interest in the losing environment and actually turning this ship around. I’m looking at Dahlin, Mitts, Cozens, Bryson. Others as well can be added like Asplund, Joker and Tage if you really want to add him.
Unfortunately we are gonna lose one of them to Seattle.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Unfortunately we are gonna lose one of them to Seattle.
Why? 7-3-1 covers everyone except Borgen. I'm in no fear of losing a useful player to Seattle, my bet is that they take Miller.

Question is more if we're willing to commit to Mittelstadt long term.

Reactions: Fezzy126

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
He looks like an english lord with a couple of mutated bloodhounds out there.

One thing I've noticed is the way he "dumps" the puck in tight situations, he does this all over the ice sending the puck into spaces where Sabres have an advantage rather than coughing it up. It's like a long ball/chip in soccer to an area we can pressure.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
I really can't say enough about how happy I am for the turnaround Casey has gone through since Ralph departed. He's had an interesting path to becoming one of the best guys on the team.

Let's see - there was the typical I can't believe they took Casey when fill in in the blank was on the board. Lord knows that's sometimes impossible to overcome. Then there was the "he has the most punch-able face in hockey" phase as some board members declared their desire to just punch him in the face. Then the double chin and baby fat phase - mostly deserved as he did appear out of shape. Then the total mishandling of his developmental curve punctuated by Ralph not being able to figure out how to use him and sending down to Rochester where he played okay.

Coming back into this season I said this about him back in December:

I just would like to see Casey come into camp looking like he's diligently worked out for the last nine months, worked on things like his skating and appear motivated to succeed. If he looks like he's been hanging out with his buds, eating donuts, burgers, and drinking beer all summer - I'm ready to chalk him up as a lost cause.

I think he needs to spend the season in Roch - leading and getting the top minutes, building his skills and confidence along the way. Hoping he has the wherewithal to do that.

Have not heard very much at all about Casey's offseason. So, I'm worried, but hopeful

Well I was dead wrong about Rochester and there was nothing to worry about him at all. Apparently just needed to worry about the coach because after the coaching change, guess what? Totally different player. It seems like he did the work, is skating great, appears motivated and confident. He's one of the most creative offensive guys on the ice any time he's out there, he's playing the PK and PP. He's on the ice in all situations, winning faceoffs, playing at critical times and has formed a great connection with Asplund and Tage and in doing so, has helped us see the possibilities with those guys - who were languishing in the Sabres "development" path

One of the most amazing transformations I can remember.

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
He was easily our best and most noticeable skater on the ice tonight and that's becoming a recurring theme. Love to see it.
Best 2 way Center on the team as well imo. Does it all in the middle of the ice. I don’t want Mitts anywhere else but at Center.

Reactions: Club

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
I was probably as hard as anyone on Mittelstadt before this season, but he has proven me wrong. The kid looks more and more like he is going to reach his high end potential. We could have traded him for a 2nd two months ago and 90% of the fan base would have been cool with it including me. Thank you Granato for showing the fans what we actaully have in some of these youngsters before we give them away for nothing.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I was probably as hard as anyone on Mittelstadt before this season, but he has proven me wrong. The kid looks more and more like he is going to reach his high end potential. We could have traded him for a 2nd two months ago and 90% of the fan base would have been cool with it including me. Thank you Granato for showing the fans what we actaully have in some of these youngsters before we give them away for nothing.

To be fair, Casey didn't show anything close to this at the NHL to expect him to take that chance.

BUT, I will admit that I underestimated how much coaching was impacting Dahlin, despite the fact I felt Krueger was clearly having such a negative impact on him, but I wasn't giving Casey the same amount of respect as well.

On one hand, the amount of damage Botterill did to the Sabres with the hiring of Ralph wipes out anything positive he did with the team.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Casey has stepped up defensively more than i thought..faceoffs are impressive. If he carries himself like he has he could be domimate but I still see some shifts that got him sent down.. He does seem to have that look and unlimited drive , lately.. It's really up to him what he becomes.. It is possible for regression just as he has proven the ability to be a true 1c if he wants it..

Rastin

Jul 14, 2004
He's really made me a believer the last few weeks. I even went out and grabbed a bunch of his young guns rookies that were still cheap from his near bustness.

Reactions: Reddawg

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
He's really made me a believer the last few weeks. I even went out and grabbed a bunch of his young guns rookies that were still cheap from his near bustness.
I was going to when he was hovering around $2.50 a couple weeks ago, definitely should have. He's up 4x since then.

Rastin

Jul 14, 2004
I grabbed about 15 of them between $3.50 to $4.50. Cheapest I saw earlier today was at around $9.00.

I was going to when he was hovering around $2.50 a couple weeks ago, definitely should have. He's up 4x since then.

Reactions: Reddawg

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017

926e5009-c10a-48fe-b90e-fa0760f82fcd.png

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
I'm thinking of breaking into this market. Is $150 a fair price for the following?

2018-19 Upper Deck Young Guns Rookie Rasmus Dahlin BGS 9.5 Gem Mint

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad