Player Discussion Casey Mittelstadt (2017, 8th) #37 - Part III

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
His poor VO2 scores at the combine do him no favors in terms of perception of his conditioning. He's a rink rat and competitive by nature. He'll figure it out. It sucks that he has to be figuring it out in the face of the persona he built between the U20's and his late-season point success (even if some of that was on the wing with both Eichel and ERod as the pivot) as an audition.

Mentioned it before, mentioning it again, he may have taken great strides in his physical conditioning and fitness this summer and it may still not be to the point it will be for him to be a as a finished pro, fully grown into his body.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Orange Fanta

Jun 22, 2016
His poor VO2 scores at the combine do him no favors in terms of perception of his conditioning. He's a rink rat and competitive by nature. He'll figure it out. It sucks that he has to be figuring it out in the face of the persona he built between the U20's and his late-season point success (even if some of that was on the wing with both Eichel and ERod as the pivot) as an audition.

Mentioned it before, mentioning it again, he may have taken great strides in his physical conditioning and fitness this summer and it may still not be to the point it will be for him to be a as a finished pro, fully grown into his body.
I have no questions about his work ethic or skill, but as you said the strides he's taken in conditioning over the summer may not be enough he'll probably need 2 more offseasons before he's ready to take on the role of 2c. With that said i wouldn't mind him on the wing to get his confidence on the offensive side of things even if it leaves a glaring hole at center but if he's not ready why hurt the team and his development?

Reactions: Ginger Papa

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I always thought PED’s were standard in NA. Clearly not the case...

My expectation: slow version of Tyler Ennis.

Kublakhan

Lets Go Buffalo !!!
Jan 24, 2013
North Tonawanda
I'm going to wait about 20 games before I start hating on Mitts, but from the little I've seen from him so far not a large improvement..

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I had this thought the other day that Mittelstadt could be one of those players that just hangs around the NHL for years and never meets his draft expectations.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I had this thought the other day that Mittelstadt could be one of those players that just hangs around the NHL for years and never meets his draft expectations.
Every player that doesn't immediately blow the league up has the potential for this. I say we keep the cart behind the horse for now, personally.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
This might sound like a dumb question, but... for someone of Casey's build and skill set. Would it not be beneficial to almost take time away from playing in Buf/Roc and literally focus on gaining strength, conditioning, power skating mixed in for say 4 more months straight? Rather than only having 4 months in the actual off-season. He could still be on ice daily for practice or whatever?? If he needs two more off-seasons to strengthen, which I understand is also just simply time for the body to mature. Would it really hurt?

GameMisconduct

Jul 20, 2006
I find the juxtaposition between the Olofson thread and this one emblematic of the Sabres HF board. A 20 year old with 1pro season has reached his ceiling and a 24 yo with 6 years pro experience is a “kid” with great potential.
It's silly to label Mitts a bust, though not wrong to have concerns about him. I think the issue is more on management at this point for creating and then not addressing the roster hole that's forced him to play in a role he's not ready for yet.

VO is an odd contrast though to make your point, other than the age. What they have shown in the abilities very different--Oloffson has flashed an legitimately elite level skill in his shooting.

Plus, the '24 year old 6 year pro' in your words has had significantly fewer games to show what he can do in the NHL and those pro years came in lesser leagues/systems. That description of VO is as slanted of a description as calling him a kid is.

It's completely appropriate to think of VO as having great potential and to be high on him. CM as a bust is an obvious exaggeration, but to be disappointed in how things have gone for him is a legitimate position.

Posts on this board have plenty of logical, uh, 'quirks'. I just don't think the gulf here has quite the level of logical contortion to be emblematic of them.

Now if you want to browse the trade board...:laugh:

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
It's silly to label Mitts a bust, though not wrong to have concerns about him. I think the issue is more on management at this point for creating and then not addressing the roster hole that's forced him to play in a role he's not ready for yet.

VO is an odd contrast though to make your point, other than the age. What they have shown in the abilities very different--Oloffson has flashed an legitimately elite level skill in his shooting.

Plus, the '24 year old 6 year pro' in your words has had significantly fewer games to show what he can do in the NHL and those pro years came in lesser leagues/systems. That description of VO is as slanted of a description as calling him a kid is.

It's completely appropriate to think of VO as having great potential and to be high on him. CM as a bust is an obvious exaggeration, but to be disappointed in how things have gone for him is a legitimate position.

Posts on this board have plenty of logical, uh, 'quirks'. I just don't think the gulf here has quite the level of logical contortion to be emblematic of them.

Now if you want to browse the trade board...:laugh:
Olofson was not the player he is today at 20 yo. He was a low probability of ever making the jump to NA much less top line minutes. Happy with his progress, but it took him 5 years to get here.

Reactions: Zman5778

GameMisconduct

Jul 20, 2006
Olofson was not the player he is today at 20 yo. He was a low probability of ever making the jump to NA much less top line minutes. Happy with his progress, but it took him 5 years to get here.
Sure, but you're citing the current reactions to each of these players as being emblematic of some kind of an HF boards logic bending effect and it's just really not.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Remember I did say Sabres HF boards. I could add the hubris surrounding Cozens being a better NHL player today and the potential of Erod and Gilmour both mid twenties journeyman who are the players they are going to be today. Potential as I see it is a the prospect of growth. Many do not see that as a probable outcome and hence the angst. But I won't :naughty:. Instead I acknowledge your dissent and agree to consider it in future deliberations.

Reactions: GameMisconduct

Orange Fanta

Jun 22, 2016
This might sound like a dumb question, but... for someone of Casey's build and skill set. Would it not be beneficial to almost take time away from playing in Buf/Roc and literally focus on gaining strength, conditioning, power skating mixed in for say 4 more months straight? Rather than only having 4 months in the actual off-season. He could still be on ice daily for practice or whatever?? If he needs two more off-seasons to strengthen, which I understand is also just simply time for the body to mature. Would it really hurt?
While I don't think its dumb I'm thinking he still needs to get reps in at pro level hockey whether nhl or ahl that's why I thought playing him at wing in the nhl if they keep him there to work on his creativity and to see what works and doesn't work. But if we were to give him a hybrid development plan and send him to echl if possible to work on nothing but his skating and conditioning while giving him top line 1c all situation type minutes could work for him as well but that's most definitely not going to happen and might hurt him more since its such an impractical idea

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
He looked present the whole game tonight. Made some good plays as well. Some hope...

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I can concede that Krueger's explanation that learning the responsibilities of playing center in the new system is the reason Mittelstadt stumbled out of the gate. He appears to have righted himself.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I find the juxtaposition between the Olofson thread and this one emblematic of the Sabres HF board. A 20 year old with 1pro season has reached his ceiling and a 24 yo with 6 years pro experience is a “kid” with great potential.
Who is questioning Mittelstadt's ceiling anywhere?

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Most posters seems to be concerned with his development path.
Last year management failed to react when he struggled.
Lets hope they do a better job this year.

Reactions: SabresSharks

Dahlin 2 Eichel

Sep 21, 2013
Roaming The Sewers
Most posters seems to be concerned with his development path.
Last year management failed to react when he struggled.
Lets hope they do a better job this year.
Last year management failed the whole team. There was no growth with ANYONE last year. Don’t know why we have picked Casey as our whipping boy. He doesn’t deserve it.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I really don't understand why Rochester isn't a legit option for him at this point. He's 20 and waiver exempt. Go force feed him top unit PP minutes and great TOI in Rochester.
That'd be what a competent manager would do. Let's see if Botts has evolved at all as a GM.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Last year management failed the whole team. There was no growth with ANYONE last year. Don’t know why we have picked Casey as our whipping boy. He doesn’t deserve it.

You may have overlooked the rampant on-line assassinations rightly or wrongly of Sobotka, Ristolainen, Scandella, Bogosian, Hutton, Larsson, Girgensons, Thompson, and Sheary as well. It's not like he's been singled out alone. There is a lot of blame heaped around, Casey is not alone.

Reactions: Aladyyn

Dahlin 2 Eichel

Sep 21, 2013
Roaming The Sewers
You may have overlooked the rampant on-line assassinations rightly or wrongly of Sobotka, Ristolainen, Scandella, Bogosian, Hutton, Larsson, Girgensons, Thompson, and Sheary as well. It's not like he's been singled out alone. There is a lot of blame heaped around, Casey is not alone.
Hard to over look the hate towards our players when that is basically the only thing discussed on this forum. My post was basically pointing out that last year did no good for anyone on the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad