Player Discussion Casey Mittelstadt (2017, 8th) #37 - Part III

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I know, but it could happen again in the future with our other players.
I wouldn't worry too much about it. If we're a team heading in the right direction they will get signed.

I really don't feel comfortable signing any our RFAs to 8 year deals.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
I would give Casey something similar to Zacha's 2nd conract.

3 years, $2.25M AAV

Mittelstadt has 4 NHL seasons, correct? Didn't they burn his first year by giving him some games after he finished his college season?

If so, a 3 year contract walks him directly into free agency. A 2 year contract ends with his being a RFA with Arbitration Rights.

If he only has 3 years worth of NHL time then a 3 year contract would end up with him as an arbitration eligible RFA. Probably not a good idea.

Reactions: Jacob582

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
After Sam situation, I don't like bridge deals.

What situation is better? The Sam situation or the Auston Matthews situation. Signing short term deals that keep RFA status to me is better than locking in for 5 and ending up in UFA status anyways.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
What situation is better? The Sam situation or the Auston Matthews situation. Signing short term deals that keep RFA status to me is better than locking in for 5 and ending up in UFA status anyways.
No, of course, a bridge deal is better than five years, but I mean the maximum term.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
If you give Mittelstadt anything beyond 2 years you are insane. First issue being, 3 years walks him to UFA

Second being....he has 61 points in 155 games. Being a primarily offensive talent, that is concerning. He basically had two seasons last year: First 20 games, 2 G, 4A, -13. last 21 games: 8G, 8A 16P +3. He also shot 20% during that stretch, which is well above his career average.

Realistically, we are looking at a 21 game stretch, basically 1/4 of a NHL season where he's. played well. I've got nearly two seasons of footage where he's played like a guy who isn't a NHL player. 1.5-2M a year, 1-2 year deal, his choice. If i were him I'd take 1 year deal and know you are going to get premium ice time to earn a big contract.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
If you give Mittelstadt anything beyond 2 years you are insane. First issue being, 3 years walks him to UFA

Second being....he has 61 points in 155 games. Being a primarily offensive talent, that is concerning. He basically had two seasons last year: First 20 games, 2 G, 4A, -13. last 21 games: 8G, 8A 16P +3. He also shot 20% during that stretch, which is well above his career average.

Realistically, we are looking at a 21 game stretch, basically 1/4 of a NHL season where he's. played well. I've got nearly two seasons of footage where he's played like a guy who isn't a NHL player. 1.5-2M a year, 1-2 year deal, his choice. If i were him I'd take 1 year deal and know you are going to get premium ice time to earn a big contract.
The 2nd season you list was after training on the taxi squad with Matt Ellis. The questions is can he train adequately in the summer to hold up for a full season?

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I always find this interesting when I think of top 10 pick development. Thomas Vanek didn't make his debut in Buffalo until 22. He was a 3rd line player that could focus on offense.

Mittelstadt is 22 years old and fans pretty much gave up on him before the end of last year.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Tell me if I’m wrong but didn’t Sam get bridged twice? Signed a 2 year in 2018 then a 1 year in 2020. The mistake was the 1 year deal and not investing in him long term after his first bridge.
Yeap, twice, but idiot Botterill could have entered into a long-term contract with him, but decided not to. I mostly talked not about the situation with Mitts, but in general, that contracts should be carefully thought out.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Tell me if I’m wrong but didn’t Sam get bridged twice? Signed a 2 year in 2018 then a 1 year in 2020. The mistake was the 1 year deal and not investing in him long term after his first bridge.
You’re correct about two bridge deals.

iirc Botts and Sam’s camp were working on longer term deal (6yrs) but couldn’t agree on AAV. I believe Sam’s camp was looking for 5.5 to 6mil per.

Last edited:

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
I always find this interesting when I think of top 10 pick development. Thomas Vanek didn't make his debut in Buffalo until 22. He was a 3rd line player that could focus on offense.

Mittelstadt is 22 years old and fans pretty much gave up on him before the end of last year.

Mittelstadt is nothing close to Vanek. He isn't even close to Sam. Vanek dominated college for two season then went to the AHL to dominate there and then went to the NHL. The team had talent ahead of him and knew how to develop prospects properly back then.

Mittelstadt has looked middling in college and the AHL and didn't even look like an NHL player until half of last season.

Reactions: jc17

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Mittelstadt is nothing close to Vanek. He isn't even close to Sam. Vanek dominated college for two season then went to the AHL to dominate there and then went to the NHL. The team had talent ahead of him and knew how to develop prospects properly back then.

Mittelstadt has looked middling in college and the AHL and didn't even look like an NHL player until half of last season.
Mittelstadt didn't take that path. He was a full time NHLer at 19-20 and then went to the AHL after struggling in the NHL at 19-20.

Reactions: Dingo44

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
He went to college and did nothing compared to what Vanek did. Same with the AHL. He isn't the same level of prospect or player as Vanek.
I didn't say they were the same. I very clearly stated the ages. You proved my point even better by saying Mittelstadt wasn't the same level of prospect. Mittelstadt was obviously in the NHL way too soon. Vanek started at 22 years old, Mittelstadt was labeled a bust at 22, actually before 22.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
I didn't say they were the same. I very clearly stated the ages. You proved my point even better by saying Mittelstadt wasn't the same level of prospect. Mittelstadt was obviously in the NHL way too soon. Vanek started at 22 years old, Mittelstadt was labeled a bust at 21.

You're saying just because Vanek did it so Mitts can do it. I'm saying Mitts isn't the same level of prospect or player Vanek was, at any point at the same age and likely won't be. I'm not saying he's a bust. I'm saying you're making pointless comparisons to a better player.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
You're saying just because Vanek did it so Mitts can do it. I'm saying Mitts isn't the same level of prospect or player Vanek was, at any point at the same age and likely won't be.
No I'm not saying that at all. Lol. It was about developing a prospect. Nothing about what Mittelstadt could become. I'm not even sure how you turned it into that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad