Case for Pastrnak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dupell6

Jul 5, 2013
Right. If the Bruins staff feels he's ready to compete in the NHL the way it did for Bergeron, who cares if his Swedish team makes it to the Elite league (I know, the name has changed)? If he can help the team now, it solves a lot of problems, not the least of which is the salary cap. Who are we to judge whether or not he's ready?

Idn if it really helps the cap that much, it would be cheaper to have our other prospects fill the remaining spots then have a first round elc cap hit I believe

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
huberdeau had 28 points in 69 games last year and it's not like there was anyone who should have been in front of him blocking his production. the islanders also stink and strome hasn't done anything. i think those 2 GMs might trade either of those guys for pastrnak right now if you took out the public relations factor of them looking like idiots trading their top 5 picks.

i don't know if pastrnak is ready for the nhl for the same reason i don't get why you think he is 2 years away. how could you know that at this point.

That's about the same level of production that Kessel had at the age of 20, and he had much more offensive support. Also equivalent the seasons that Datsyuk, the Sedins, Zach Parise had at that age. The vast majority of stars in the NHL didn't do anything great until the age of at least 21. Of course there are exceptions.

billings21

Jul 13, 2014
MA
That's about the same level of production that Kessel had at the age of 20, and he had much more offensive support. Also equivalent the seasons that Datsyuk, the Sedins, Zach Parise had at that age. The vast majority of stars in the NHL didn't do anything great until the age of at least 21. Of course there are exceptions.
kessel had 60 points when he was 20. i don't even care about points. i don't see how the rate other players developed has anything to do with any future players. it's a stupid lazy way to evaluate it. if pastrnak is ready to be a useful player right now it makes no sense to send him away because he's not old enough for you.

Jeff from Maine

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
kessel had 60 points when he was 20. i don't even care about points. i don't see how the rate other players developed has anything to do with any future players. it's a stupid lazy way to evaluate it. if pastrnak is ready to be a useful player right now it makes no sense to send him away because he's not old enough for you.

How about you do something rather novel, Billings...

Rather an just crapping on everything that people post, why don't you spell out EXACTLY why Huberdeau and Strome are bad picks.

Don't just take the jerk way out and rip somebodies comments. Give some actual INSIGHT and back up your ranting.

Until then, your just a know-it-all blowhard, whose only purpose for posting is to irritate everyone.

Later

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
:huh:
huberdeau and strome look like bad picks. why not say pastarnak needs 7 because that's how long hugh jessiman needed.

I am holding off putting you on ignore till Friday to see if you can post something dumber than this

billings21

Jul 13, 2014
MA
I am holding off putting you on ignore till Friday to see if you can post something dumber than this
please not that
scared_businessma_450.jpg

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
New posters should have to get voted in after a 4-5 month trial period. HFboards continues to get bigger all the time, a strategy needs to be put in place.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
New posters should have to get voted in after a 4-5 month trial period. HFboards continues to get bigger all the time, a strategy needs to be put in place.

Or previously banned posters who get back on

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I just don't think Pastrnak has NHL size yet, but if he continues to impress, why not give the kid a 9 game tryout.

Here is a list of top season performances by 18 year olds.

http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/player-age/18-year-old-nhl-players.html

That list should temper expectations quite a bit. In the entire modern history of the NHL, there appears to be about 20-30 players that contributed significantly to their team as an 18 year old rookie. Pasternak was just picked 25th in his draft and stood out at a rookie camp.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
does the 9 game limit apply to all rookies? I always thought it was just for the purposes of sending them back to their Junior team. If Pastrnak has been playing in a pro league couldn't they conceivably keep him as long as they want or would returning to his team in Sweden be considered the equivalent of returning to juniors?

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
I am pretty sure that a junior player can't play unless they are signed to an NHL contract, if they are they can play up to 9 games, if they play 10 the contract begins.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Just wondering where most people feel Pastrnak is on the Bruins prospect list? Is he already at # 1 or behind guys like Spooner, Koko and Subban etc.?

I am all for dealing guys like Kelly, Campbell and McQuaid and giving younger guys the opportunity to step up and solve some cap problems at the same time, but I think Pastrnak is best served going back to Sweden for this year. Would love to see Spooner, Fraser and Florek make it this year.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
does the 9 game limit apply to all rookies? I always thought it was just for the purposes of sending them back to their Junior team. If Pastrnak has been playing in a pro league couldn't they conceivably keep him as long as they want or would returning to his team in Sweden be considered the equivalent of returning to juniors?

I think it would be something like the Teuvo Terravainen situation.

TCDaniels

Legen... Wait for it
Feb 12, 2003
Maine

Unfortunately (or - I don't know - Fortunately, I suppose.. if you're TRULY interested in seeing how far the absurdity can go)

But - to me - unfortunately, as I'm finding out a lot these days, you simply can't escape the crap altogether... Things just appear when people respond to folks.

Sigh.

billings21

Jul 13, 2014
MA
That list should temper expectations quite a bit. In the entire modern history of the NHL, there appears to be about 20-30 players that contributed significantly to their team as an 18 year old rookie. Pasternak was just picked 25th in his draft and stood out at a rookie camp.
there were 7 players who contributed significantly to the bruins last year according to your metric

Last edited:

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
Unfortunately (or - I don't know - Fortunately, I suppose.. if you're TRULY interested in seeing how far the absurdity can go)

But - to me - unfortunately, as I'm finding out a lot these days, you simply can't escape the crap altogether... Things just appear when people respond to folks.

Sigh.

And that's the problem. Having the Ignore function is great but people still respond to bad posters.

Why do they waste their time responding? One of life's mysteries. :dunno:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I am pretty sure that a junior player can't play unless they are signed to an NHL contract, if they are they can play up to 9 games, if they play 10 the contract begins.

That's my foggy understanding as well. All of you IT guys with your physics degrees...

I can spell cap, I know what $69 ceiling means, but beyond this lies an ice cream headache.

God bless you, you Rainmen, you,

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad