Case for Pastrnak

Status
Not open for further replies.

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
Pastrnak needs to return to his Swedish league team - for another year at least - for more growth and development. This way, the head coach will have no opportunity to limit Pastrnak's creative and dynamic ability on offence and attempt to mold him into a youthful Paille II. Lucky for Pastrnak.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Someone really, really needs to explain to me how Pastrnak making it in September is going to solve the cap crunch.

As a first round pick his ELC (with bonuses) will likely exceed those of Spooner, Koko, Florek, Ferlin, and on and on.

His contract will be more in line with Subban's than the above mentioned. ( $1.4 mill vs about 850k ).

If he makes the club, it will be based on what he does in Sept against men and not in July against (yes I'll say it) inferior competition. But it has nothing to do with the cap as everyone before him will make less than him anyway with the exception of Subban.

I think the line of thought is that he fills a RW spot and comes at a relatively low cap hit relatively speaking (instead of FA). Spooner Koko and Florek are not natural RWs and Ferlin really hasn't proven anything either.

But I agree. Likely a moot point either way

Fierce1

Nov 13, 2006
Nova Scotia
Thank you Kiss my Rask.

Another 10lbs and he comes in around the same weight as Khoko and Spooner. I guess we'll see how he does in September.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I think he still has some things to work on.

There appears to be a mystery at development camp: Just why is first-round pick David Pastrnak falling down so much?

“Yeah, he toe picks a lot. I don’t know what that is,†Cassidy said. “I think he’s almost too fast for himself sometimes. I don’t know if his skates are a little worn, I don’t get into that stuff. I don’t know. Again, so maybe he was due for a new pair in August and he’s getting by on the old ones.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...fuls-center/4wCAVH0uDfaQMbMPat2YAJ/story.html

Seriously though, he's still just a kid. Good skills. Very enthusiastic . But just a kid.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
FWIW

Joe Haggerty @HackswithHaggs · 35s
Peter Chiarelli wouldn't rule out possibility @davidpastrnak could win spot w/B's club in training camp. Said he was impressed w/his skills

EDIT: Chiarelli also apparently said that Pastrnak might be too light for the NHL per DJ Bean.

Last edited:

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I wouldn't rush him... I know it's been an insanely long time since we've drafted and developed a good player in the late 1st round, I'm really excited too especially after all this development camp hype, but he needs another year at least.

He has another year on his contract in Sweden and there's no reason why he shouldn't go back. Sweden's development system is VERY good, and he'll be an even more important piece of his team. He needs to get bigger, too. Rushing into a very high pressured organization in Boston could destroy his confidence and ruin him. More likely for him to join us next year, if not another after that.

He'll probably be at the camp, we'll see where it goes from there, but I expect him to spend another year in Sweden.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Just in from camp and this kid is impressive. What hands:amazed:.

He seems to get in every play. He draws eyes to his play every time he is on the ice.

Looks like he has so much energy. I am looking forward to watching this kid develop.

Looks very thin but he is young .

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
I expect that the best development path for him would be to let him return to Sweden where he will get an even bigger role with his team there and regular minutes. Then bring him over to North America next year and give him a chance to make the big team roster IF he shows well in training camp, otherwise put him in the AHL at that point so he gets familiarity with the North American game. He might get a cup of coffee callup just to experience the NHL and make him hungry for it. Then the next year, he will probably be ready to compete for a top 6 role in the offense. So my expected ETA is at age 20 he will with the big club and ready to make an impact.

Of course this is assuming that we don't rush his development and he continues his upward curve of improvement over the next 2 years. I think he will be worth waiting for by all reported accounts.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I think he still has some things to work on.

There appears to be a mystery at development camp: Just why is first-round pick David Pastrnak falling down so much?

“Yeah, he toe picks a lot. I don’t know what that is,†Cassidy said. “I think he’s almost too fast for himself sometimes. I don’t know if his skates are a little worn, I don’t get into that stuff. I don’t know. Again, so maybe he was due for a new pair in August and he’s getting by on the old ones.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...fuls-center/4wCAVH0uDfaQMbMPat2YAJ/story.html

Seriously though, he's still just a kid. Good skills. Very enthusiastic . But just a kid.

Same issues I had, waaaaaaaaaaaaay too fast on blades:sarcasm:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Going fast is no great feat. Now stick handling, turning and stopping while going fast........well that's something else!

:laugh::laugh:

Haha, true, I recall for two years in a row I took Richard Park, convinced that the guy was going to be money at some point....had a very respectable career but...thankfully, he was one of my last and/or later picks

Either way, nice to hear of a kid like PASTY;) getting some fans excited

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Going fast is no great feat. Now stick handling, turning and stopping while going fast........well that's something else!

:laugh::laugh:

I read the glowing report on Red Line that had him 14th overall and after watching all 5 days I am very excited. Krejci and Pastrnak is going to be something to watch at some point

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I read the glowing report on Red Line that had him 14th overall and after watching all 5 days I am very excited. Krejci and Pastrnak is going to be something to watch at some point

uh uh, according to another thread, DK`s all but gone:sarcasm:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

I wish I could. Have seen him.

From all the reading I'm doing my gut tells me one more year in Sweden then a year in North America.
If it works out that way, that would be pretty damn good.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

From all the reading I'm doing my gut tells me one more year in Sweden then a year in North America.

if he`s not on the opening day roster, SOMEONE here will scream he`s a bust, you`ll see:sarcasm:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Yes my thoughts exactly. Looks like a spectacular skills fit/compliment to Krejci and Lucic.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Even if he impresses I think I send him back. Just try and negotiate no playoffs with his Euro team.

10 game look in Boston, few games in Sweden, WJC's, few more games in Sweden, Boston bound in early March when their regular season ends.

That would be a good warm up to me. Let him get some games when guys need rest at the end of the year.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
Elite Prospects has him at 5'11", 168lbs.

Alright now! Who made me think he was a center? :cry: I must have ignored the LITTLE fact from day one. :help:

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
I tend to agree with the line of thought that unless the kid is going to be an impact player at age 18-19...he should be back in Sweden.

Even with all the skill that he apparently has (I haven't seen him) he's very light and almost assuredly wouldn't hold up against NHL'ers for an 82 game season.

And with that being the case....it's best to let him continue to develop where he has found success and not rush him.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
FWIW

Joe Haggerty @HackswithHaggs · 35s
Peter Chiarelli wouldn't rule out possibility @davidpastrnak could win spot w/B's club in training camp. Said he was impressed w/his skills

EDIT: Chiarelli also apparently said that Pastrnak might be too light for the NHL per DJ Bean.

Here's what GM Chiarelli actually said:

“I was pleased with Pastrnak,†Chiarelli said. “There’s only been a couple players that have shown that at these camps over the years. He’s still got a little bit of a ways to go, but I’m very happy with Pastrnak.â€

Pastrnak is a right-shot right wing, which the Bruins currently don’t have on their roster. Asked whether he felt Pastrnak could be a longshot candidate to make the Bruins’ roster, Chiarelli noted that Pastrnak still needs to fill out physically, but didn’t rule it out.

“You never know,â€Â Chiarelli. “I don’t want to place too much of a burden on this kid’s shoulders, but he was good. The hesitation that you have is that he’s 170, 173 pounds. He’s wiry strong, but you never know. Speed, skill, sense is all there. It would be nice, but we’ll see.
He’s young. To throw someone [in] at that age, at that weight, but there’s been guys that have done it.â€Â

http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/b...e-out-david-pastrnak-pushing-for-roster-spot/

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Chia said he's at 170-173 pounds right now. The weei article about him is fun to read. The brass is clearly very impressed by him and the mindset is open to him making the team. If he gains a few more pounds before sept, and comes in ready, it could be a fun thing to watch if he does make it. I say bring it on DP! We need an exciting storyline here.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
If I were Pastrnak, once this dev camp ends I would go full Rocky IV mode and train like an animal until the Bruins camp in the fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad