Case for Pastrnak

Status
Not open for further replies.

billings21

Jul 13, 2014
MA
Hey, easy on Haggs, I`m sure he was pursuing inside info to pass along here by digging deep behind the scenes for 40mins:sarcasm:
i don't trust that he actually writes any of his bruins coverage. probably just smashes his head against the keyboard and hits send to the editor.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
If, at the end of the day, the only concern about putting him on the roster is his size and strength, I would think putting him on the right side on Lucic's line should rectify that concern. Not likely too many that would take liberties with him with Lucic on the ice. I say if he has the skill and speed to produce, put him out there. Looks like we will be seeing for 9 games at least the way Chia is talking right now.

Maybe not too many, but all it takes is just one.

I mean, ask Marc Savard how much of a deterrent having Lucic flanking him made.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I like this Pastrnak kid a great deal, but I think the best thing is for him to play another year in Sweden and then 1 year in the AHL. There are also players with a little more experience that deserve a shot first, Ryan Spooner being a prime example, I would try Spooner on the RW with Krejci and Lucic and see how he fares there, if not move him down to play center on another line and use a vet like Loui on the top line.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Spooner is around the same weight atm, and he's ready for a NHL spot. I don't think DP has to go crazy. But maybe gaining 5-10 pounds before sept wouldn't be so bad. He'd still be able to be agile. He's so hyper, that I hope the brass would tell him not to go crazy. I could totally see him going into beast mode to make them happy. He seems really determined to make the team happy and I love that.

But IA, let's see how he does in training camp before we start speculating about this and that. What I do know is that he has been really impressive and looks like a steal. He's one to watch come sept, and I'd be lying if I said I'm not excited about the possibility of him making the team. :D

His play and personality is infectous. I hope they film him meeting DK for the first time. :laugh:
I believe Krejci will have been traded by then:sarcasm:....actually the Krejci thread will be changed over how Krejci signing ruins the team and now Soderberg cant be signed. And then when Soderberg is signed it will be Hamilton....or we cant sign FA....Krejci will be blamed though count on it. The Whack-a-Krejci group will appear at the first sign of a problem or one of his slumps....always starting with "I love (or like) Krejci bhhhhhuttttt......"

as for Pastrnak the climate as the radio commercials say about other stuff has never been better for him to play in this league. Three years ago he would be targeted going across the middle- some of his zigs and zags and drop passes and dispsy do's leave him more open than a duck taking off in an open field amid a group of hunters.

Today? I like him going back to the SEL, they drive 55 over there, but they drive safe and smart. He will get the fundamentals down, learn the right way to play. Me- I would not send him to the AHL, he would be run from behind, targeted, and the skill level is much more conducive in the SEL. I go to easily double digit AHL games and I've seen the crap that goes on- trust me, Suave was very good until he got a couple of bad concussions and he never looked the same.

I hear he is deceptively strong but needs to get the natural maturation of strength that comes with the normal growth process supplemented by training.

Let him play a game with DK and Lucic and let everyone dream of things to come, but to me it would be epic mistake if he goes to AHL and probably Boston. I have visions of him getting hammered- and Don Sweeney even said it already he will have his helmet on sideways more than once.

Be excited, very excited, but try and be patient.

Oh, and Spooner is not some skinny runt- he's pretty strong, and he likes to lift weights maybe not as much as others, but he does. I saw him a few times last year away from rink and I was somewhat surprised and impressed- he's more solid than you think and sporting 8.8% body fat- the Bruins want you under 10% and RS was at that and with the aging his body is starting to get man strength and the gym stuff as well

Last edited:

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
He will be overseas this year...no ? Will he make the Providence B's ? I was under the impression he wouldn't be over in the USA this season.

I am really looking forward to seeing this kid today. Sounds like a exciting young player. From the clips I have seen he has great hands. Also seems like he has a BIG personality :)

Who is going today ?

Isn't he not old enough to go to Providence? Similar situation Sequin had, OHL team wasn't going to challenge him enough to get ready for NHL time, but not old enough for Providence so he was on the big club, probably a year too early. In this case, the player at least has the option to go to Sweden and play against men vs. having to go back to Jr.s' and playing against kids.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
If he makes it he makes it, but the previously mentioned 168 pounds is likely after a period of lifting/eating/size adding.

30 games in hes likely looking at 155-160, which on a Bruins team with much more seasoned/stronger veterans on it it seems unlikely he makes it.

With that said though, in Chia we trust.

Altamira

Sep 20, 2013
Massachusetts
Even if Pastrnak doesn't make the team, at the very least it sounds like we have a promising offensive minded RW prospect in the organization which for me was a big need going foreword.

Jeff from Maine

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Bill totally agree. No need to separate shoulders and get crunched by men. He isn't physically mature enough yet to play top 9 nhl minutes.

I hope cap crunch won't force PCs hand and try to get him in the lineup. The fact that he is euro however makes him an easy stash at in the Ahl and see what happens.

Absolutely agree 100% B37.

Pastrnak seems to have a bit of that Taylor Hall "edge" to him. That's a great thing, as it is a huge piece of what makes him an effective player.

However, while Hall is progressing every season, his body is already beaten up, and he has been through some pretty good injuries.

Let the kid add some poundage to his frame in the A. Would like to see him get up to 180 or so, so he can take some of those hits.

As a side note...I wish Tyler Seguin had that that gritty piece to his game, that Pastrnak seems to have.

Later

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
Spooner is around the same weight atm, and he's ready for a NHL spot. I don't think DP has to go crazy. But maybe gaining 5-10 pounds before sept wouldn't be so bad. He'd still be able to be agile. He's so hyper, that I hope the brass would tell him not to go crazy. I could totally see him going into beast mode to make them happy. He seems really determined to make the team happy and I love that.

But IA, let's see how he does in training camp before we start speculating about this and that. What I do know is that he has been really impressive and looks like a steal. He's one to watch come sept, and I'd be lying if I said I'm not excited about the possibility of him making the team. :D

His play and personality is infectous. I hope they film him meeting DK for the first time. :laugh:

Spooner: 5'11 181
Pastrnak: 6'0 168

It's actually pretty decent of a difference. Send him to Sweden and let's see him next year

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Isn't he not old enough to go to Providence? Similar situation Sequin had, OHL team wasn't going to challenge him enough to get ready for NHL time, but not old enough for Providence so he was on the big club, probably a year too early. In this case, the player at least has the option to go to Sweden and play against men vs. having to go back to Jr.s' and playing against kids.

The AHL age limit only applies to Canadian Junior players. Pastrnak, having played pro in Europe, would be exempt.

Altamira

Sep 20, 2013
Massachusetts

I think he could go to Providence because he is not coming from Canadian juniors, but I read an article today by Mark Divver that says Pastrnak has a provision in his SEL contracts which requires him to return to Sweden if he does not make the NHL level this year.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I want to hear what Claude has to say about him before I get on the Pastrnak bus.

He sounds like a electrifying player but if he can't/won't play 3 zone hockey Claude won't have any use for him. And neither will the Bruins after awhile.

TheBigBadB

Feb 13, 2003
North Andover
Visit site
Have to see him at the main camp and during some pre-season games to really judge him. Sounds like he may have the skills of an NHL player, but its how he plays within the system that will determine his ability to stick with the team.

Great to have another highly touted prospect to drool over at camp though.. :handclap:

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Spooner: 5'11 181
Pastrnak: 6'0 168

It's actually pretty decent of a difference. Send him to Sweden and let's see him next year
Best option, IMO. Plays at a high level of competition, participates in the WJC, and returns here after the Allsvensken (or Elite league) season is complete. Eats lots of Swedish pancakes and shows up at 180 or so.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
In my opinion, the Bruins shouldn't even have him in main camp. His Swedish team starts playing games around 8/15/14. He should just stay with the club. I think it's unfair to leave the team when they are trying to get back in the elite league and every game counts.

How many 18 year olds really make an impact in the NHL? Very very few. Even guys like Strome and Huberdeau take 2-3 years.

I'm thrilled that we got this guy. I think he's going to be an outstanding player. But he is still probably at least 2 years away.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
In my opinion, the Bruins shouldn't even have him in main camp. His Swedish team starts playing games around 8/15/14. He should just stay with the club. I think it's unfair to leave the team when they are trying to get back in the elite league and every game counts.

How many 18 year olds really make an impact in the NHL? Very very few. Even guys like Strome and Huberdeau take 2-3 years.

I'm thrilled that we got this guy. I think he's going to be an outstanding player. But he is still probably at least 2 years away.

Good Post !

Bottom line...Really nice pick by the B's...Exciting and fun player to keep an eye on .

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus

Nothing is certain either way. We don't know the kid, other than the brief glimpses we've had, so I'm not going to say Yay he'll make the Bruins or No, don't even invite him to camp. If Chiarelli and co. bring him to camp, even if he doesn't stick, he'll learn a few things and probably be better for it down the road. But they're the ones making the call, and they have to do what's best for the Bruins.

billings21

Jul 13, 2014
MA

:huh:
huberdeau and strome look like bad picks. why not say pastarnak needs 7 because that's how long hugh jessiman needed.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
:huh:
huberdeau and strome look like bad picks. why not say pastarnak needs 7 because that's how long hugh jessiman needed.

Huh? Huberdau and Strome look like great picks, and are poised to be impact players next season at the age of 21. Their teams have done a tremendous job with their development.

I don't think the hype on Pastrnak has gotten to the point that anyone sane is claiming he will be better than Strome or Huberdeau.

billings21

Jul 13, 2014
MA
Huh? Huberdau and Strome look like great picks, and are poised to be impact players next season at the age of 21. Their teams have done a tremendous job with their development.

I don't think the hype on Pastrnak has gotten to the point that anyone sane is claiming he will be better than Strome or Huberdeau.
huberdeau had 28 points in 69 games last year and it's not like there was anyone who should have been in front of him blocking his production. the islanders also stink and strome hasn't done anything. i think those 2 GMs might trade either of those guys for pastrnak right now if you took out the public relations factor of them looking like idiots trading their top 5 picks.

i don't know if pastrnak is ready for the nhl for the same reason i don't get why you think he is 2 years away. how could you know that at this point.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Nothing is certain either way. We don't know the kid, other than the brief glimpses we've had, so I'm not going to say Yay he'll make the Bruins or No, don't even invite him to camp. If Chiarelli and co. bring him to camp, even if he doesn't stick, he'll learn a few things and probably be better for it down the road. But they're the ones making the call, and they have to do what's best for the Bruins.
Right. If the Bruins staff feels he's ready to compete in the NHL the way it did for Bergeron, who cares if his Swedish team makes it to the Elite league (I know, the name has changed)? If he can help the team now, it solves a lot of problems, not the least of which is the salary cap. Who are we to judge whether or not he's ready?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad