Dreger: Carolina looking for Top 4 Dman - 1st Rounder in play

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Klingberg for that 1st +

Klingberg is on a sweetheart contract 2 more years at a $4.25 MIl cap hit. Dallas needs depth scoring.

Last edited:

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Canes and leafs are one point apart in the standings. If you’re willing to give up Barrie at this point in the season how on earth do you think you’re going to get so much in return for him?

so much?? ...thats a HUGE underpayment for Barrie

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
I would do this trade

What does McKeown possibly do for the Rangers? We already have Lundkvist knocking on the door and Keane in Hartford. Rangers don't need defensive prospects on either side.
You don't think one of their forward prospects like Gauthier, Bokk, Kuokannen would be targeted in a trade for Skjei?

Reactions: bl02

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Am I the only one here underwhelmed with Dumba? I don't see him making many teams better.
It depends on when you've watched him. The first half of this year he was pretty underwhelming. The last 10 games or so he's been good, and the last 5 or so he's been great. His shot still seems a little off, but it's getting there.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Brind'Amour will rely on Jordan Staal as his go-to center until the end of time. Similar to how he played Justin Faulk on the #1PP over Dougie Hamilton for the entirety of the 2018-19 season. Strome will be in line for a big payday which I wouldn't want to be on the hook for.

I'd be ok with the worse of CAR/TOR 1st + McKeown for Skjei.

Skjei is a top 4 LD signed for 4 more seasons at 5.25 per. Considering the rental market a middle-late first and a good F prospect seems like a reasonable price.

McKeown does nothing for our team/system. Replace him with a good F prospect and it's a deal. Drury, Bokk, Kuokkanen, or Gauthier are all reasonable targets. I wouldn't bother asking for Suzuki or Puistola since those are your top forward prospects.

Fair offer but I'm not sure if we need McKeown. Would rather a solid forward prospect or just the better of the two 1sts straight up for Skjei.

It's going to cost them more than Toronto's 1st to add a top 4 dman though.

I would do this trade

Carolina needs an impact defenseman with term which there really is not any available at the moment. I doubt Carolina moves their 1st unless a good-great defenseman gets on the trade market

Argument can be made Skjei at market ish price is better/best option atm.
If a D can't skate well at NHL level, effectiveness is limited, the poorer he skates, the more so that is the case.
Brady has nice size and skates very well including backwards. Sure all pro NHL skaters do this but to do so fluidly with speed is a cut above. His problems are:
- don't want to have to constantly change linemates or dif systems
- slightly overpaid, but has nice term into prime of his career, and this perception diminishes over the deal.

Given that what is he really worth?
The min is a 2020 1st, there should be something more. But what more there is, I don't want to be like Slats was with Talbot and wait til the last second b'c he was trying to squeeze every nickel out of the transaction. We can live with keeping Skjei for the time being, but we are better off with repurposing his cap, so I am happy to take min/+ of fair value without trying to score a heist.

Would love to add Gauthier to 1st, even if NY adds small.
But while I expect Canes to be reasonable and recognize it is also in their interest to get a good deal done sooner than later and not waste any time, I don't expect them to be overly/unduly generous.

Since their voices here are nixing Strome or Deangelo as well, we should just focus on Skjei.

A reasonable counter might be
Skjei + NYR + DAL 2020 3rds
for
2020 1st + return of Rangers 2020 2nd

But either way, McKeown is not a bad secondary piece to get.

Trouba if I am not mistaken said he'd only come to Rangers, MAYBE also hometown DET otherwise forget it.
I could see after this season some kind of deal sending JT home, creating an opening.

Sure we are waiting on Lind. and a coupla others to be competing here possibly as early as next yr, but having McKeown --- who supposedly has been ready already for a while now --- here and getting NHL games under his belt in advance of that competition, would be a good thing.

I vote for any incarnation with Skjei for a 1st as core pieces.
But I want a deal done yesterday.

We have held on to too many vets for too long, and that cap availability would make a Kreider extension [which we can still do anyway] less of a headache.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
What does McKeown possibly do for the Rangers? We already have Lundkvist knocking on the door and Keane in Hartford. Rangers don't need defensive prospects on either side.
You don't think one of their forward prospects like Gauthier, Bokk, Kuokannen would be targeted in a trade for Skjei?

The main piece coming back should be 2020 1st.
We should try to add for such an F prospect as a secondary piece.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
If Anaheim is really trying to sell. And I can see it after last nights game against the Flames. Fricken horrible.

What D man would the Canes want from the Ducks? Manson?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Probably not a suitable trade partner but just for funs ...

Caro 1st

for Fabbri & nemeth

Or

Caro 1st & gardner , 2021 7th

for nemeth, green,svechnikov,hirose, 2021 3rd

Andrei is the canes star brother and i think he’d be more than thrilled with being reunited with his brother , he hasnt progressed thus far but he did miss an entire hockey season due to injury and has heated up lately in grand rapids .

Looking at gardner’s -28 hes by far got the highest - on the team and cant imagine the teams happy with him?Maybe they just decide to move on from him? Could be wrong just thinking carolina would be happy to move on from him

That's not very fun

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
JUST GOOGLED BOJANGLES HOLY MOLLY IT LOOKS GOOD
c700x420.jpg

It's the real reason the triangle is a top 10 place to live.

Also always go for the supremes with honey mustard and Cajun fries.

....now my stomach is a rumbling.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I want Necas from Carolina. What does that cost Anaheim?

Carolina needs a long-term Top 6 center as much as any other team. Lindholm is too good and thus, too expensive for what they’re trying to accomplish here (a 2nd pairing defenseman to go with Slavin, Pesce and Hamilton). Gibson would have to be on the table.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'd move him in a heartbeat for Gibson. Much bigger hole in our organization.
I assumed he was talking about defenseman coming back, as that’s what this thread is about so I didn’t consider forwards or goalies.

anyone is for sale for a price.

Is Gibson someone Anaheim would move without a big overpayment?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad