Dreger: Carolina looking for Top 4 Dman - 1st Rounder in play

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
A consensus from a prior thread was something around Skjei, or Skjei in a package, maybe Strome w/rfa since Kreider is expiring rental/too expensive, for a 2020 1st, and possibly Gauthier or NYR 2020 2nd if some add or backscratch besides Skjei is involved.

There was discussion that specifically LD, not RD, desired, despite season end for Hamilton.
So no Deangelo.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I can say I have no idea what the Canes brass thinks or how they will act, but my personal opinion is that the Canes are not yet good enough to compete for a cup, so I would not be giving up a 1st this year, particularly with Hamilton out.

That said, Dundon has said repeatedly he's impatient and with 2 1sts (likely), 2 2nds, 2 3rds and a strong prospect pool, they have assets to do so without hurting their future.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
They want a C - willing to part with Necas?

I think it was Russo who said that the Canes specifically did not have an interest in Dumba. He doesn't really fit their top-4.

Canes like to pick up guys playing above their value contracts. Dumba is on the opposite end.

I'd move Necas for the right D but that D would have to be a lot better fit than anything Minnesota has to offer.

Reactions: Tryamw

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
A consensus from a prior thread was something around Skjei, or Skjei in a package, maybe Strome w/rfa since Kreider is expiring rental/too expensive, for a 2020 1st, and possibly Gauthier or NYR 2020 2nd if some add or backscratch besides Skjei is involved.

There was discussion that specifically LD, not RD, desired, despite season end for Hamilton.
So no Deangelo.

I like the idea of Skjei.

I don't like the idea of Kreider because he's a rental and the Canes are already deep at forward. I also don't like the idea of Strome because again, the Canes are deep at forward, I'm concerned he's a product of Panarin and my view of him is that he's not a great skater and the Canes forwards need to skate. It would be the definition of "buying high".

Skjei is interesting to me though. Slavin-Hamilton, Skjei-Pesce would be an incredible top for down the road.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
What would Carolina be willing to give for Petry?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I like the idea of Skjei.

I don't like the idea of Kreider because he's a rental and the Canes are already deep at forward. I also don't like the idea of Strome because again, the Canes are deep at forward, I'm concerned he's a product of Panarin and my view of him is that he's not a great skater and the Canes forwards need to skate. It would be the definition of "buying high".

Skjei is interesting to me though. Slavin-Hamilton, Skjei-Pesce would be an incredible top for down the road.

Agree, and I noted you didn't want to go near Kreider.
I gathered you had a preference for avoiding Strome but if he was reasonable enough you might consider a nibble.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If the Canes do this, I will be very disappointed. Not a knock on Dumba, but Necas brings an element the Canes lack and IMO, he is just scratching his potential.

I can understand why Wild fans would covet him though.

It’s not that I anticipate it happening, but this is the second time we’ve heard about a Minnesota defenseman to Carolina now, and if Dumba goes, Necas would be the only return Minnesota would be interested in outside of the obvious other options.

It’s my dark horse. Don’t expect it, but it wouldn’t really surprise me at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad