Dreger: Carolina looking for Top 4 Dman - 1st Rounder in play

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
That’s not a question you leave to answer when your D are 32 & 34 is the problem. Same thing they did with Markov, should’ve traded him when he was 35 but they had nobody so lost him for nada. Habs fail at player development and fail at succession planning.

I don't know about that. The Habs were very competitive in Markov's final seasons so no reason to trade him. Whenever they were out of it, they made trades. The problem with the Habs were that they were making the playoffs but never a serious contender because they never had a 1C .

Markov also had a NMC....

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
JUST GOOGLED BOJANGLES HOLY MOLLY IT LOOKS GOOD
c700x420.jpg
Also has an underrated fight scene, but 1st rule prevents me from saying any more...

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood
You can probably have Martinez, who has another year left on his deal, for a 2nd and a 4th/5th. If you're looking for a versatile bottom 6 fwd, Lewis is available as well.

slg1963

Jan 23, 2015
Canada
Brind'Amour will rely on Jordan Staal as his go-to center until the end of time. Similar to how he played Justin Faulk on the #1PP over Dougie Hamilton for the entirety of the 2018-19 season. Strome will be in line for a big payday which I wouldn't want to be on the hook for.

I'd be ok with the worse of CAR/TOR 1st + McKeown for Skjei.
I would do this trade

Crazydounut

Oct 10, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Carolina needs an impact defenseman with term which there really is not any available at the moment. I doubt Carolina moves their 1st unless a good-great defenseman gets on the trade market

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I don't know about that. The Habs were very competitive in Markov's final seasons so no reason to trade him. Whenever they were out of it, they made trades. The problem with the Habs were that they were making the playoffs but never a serious contender because they never had a 1C .

Markov also had a NMC....
I was lobbying to trade him in 2016 when we missed the playoffs and he was in the same situation as Petry with 1 year left on his deal and having a good season - same argument, who's going to replace him? We kept him and got one more year out of him and 5 playoff games then let him walk for nothing, so who replaced him? Victor Mete cause we had nothing else.

It was a M-NTC, 12 teams he couldn't be traded to, deals could be had

Compare that to Craig Rivet that fetched Pacioretty that has since become Nuke and Tatar and hopefully the latter becomes door #3 soon plus we got Gorges that was a serviceable D-man for a few years and then became Romanov. Unfortunately because we have been a bubble team and never had the stones to rebuild this is one of the few succession plans that we have ever done.

Petry will be 34 first year of any extension so do we keep him for one more pathetic run at a playoff berth and hold onto him if we are in the race and then lose him for nothing as a UFA. Do we make the mistake of handing out big money/term to a guy who will have most of those years at 35+ cause that usually works well for D-men (google Blackhawks problems), do we risk him getting injured and worth nothing or decline and worth less during next season? Its also a great market now for a RHD so his value is at an all time high.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I was lobbying to trade him in 2016 when we missed the playoffs and he was in the same situation as Petry with 1 year left on his deal and having a good season - same argument, who's going to replace him? We kept him and got one more year out of him and 5 playoff games then let him walk for nothing, so who replaced him? Victor Mete cause we had nothing else.

It was a M-NTC, 12 teams he couldn't be traded to, deals could be had

Compare that to Craig Rivet that fetched Pacioretty that has since become Nuke and Tatar and hopefully the latter becomes door #3 soon plus we got Gorges that was a serviceable D-man for a few years and then became Romanov. Unfortunately because we have been a bubble team and never had the stones to rebuild this is one of the few succession plans that we have ever done.

Petry will be 34 first year of any extension so do we keep him for one more pathetic run at a playoff berth and hold onto him if we are in the race and then lose him for nothing as a UFA. Do we make the mistake of handing out big money/term to a guy who will have most of those years at 35+ cause that usually works well for D-men (google Blackhawks problems), do we risk him getting injured and worth nothing or decline and worth less during next season? Its also a great market now for a RHD so his value is at an all time high.

I think we keep Petry to help develop the young players that are infiltrating the team. I listened to Bruno Gervais on NHL network and he said that the Habs absolutely hold onto Petry and Weber (assuming he will be back longterm) purely for player development. Teams need dmen like Petry / Weber to move the puck out of the zone and the young forward would benefit greatly in their development. With Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, Poehling, Caufield in the fold, i definitely see the value. Simlarly, with Fleury and Romanov, they will also reap the benefits.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I think we keep Petry to help develop the young players that are infiltrating the team. I listened to Bruno Gervais on NHL network and he said that the Habs absolutely hold onto Petry and Weber (assuming he will be back longterm) purely for player development. Teams need dmen like Petry / Weber to move the puck out of the zone and the young forward would benefit greatly in their development. With Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, Poehling, Caufield in the fold, i definitely see the value. Simlarly, with Fleury and Romanov, they will also reap the benefits.
I don’t think he will be traded either but not because MB wants him for developing players but to try and stay competitive for another 3-4 years instead of looking big picture and building a team that in 2-3 years will be a contender for 8-10 years

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I don’t think he will be traded either but not because MB wants him for developing players but to try and stay competitive for another 3-4 years instead of looking big picture and building a team that in 2-3 years will be a contender for 8-10 years

Well we have a difference in opinions. We don't have anyone to take his spot if he were traded. If there was a complete overpayment, MB would have to take it. But i don't see anyone overpaying for Petry. He is severely underrated.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Well we have a difference in opinions. We don't have anyone to take his spot if he were traded. If there was a complete overpayment, MB would have to take it. But i don't see anyone overpaying for Petry. He is severely underrated.
If I was trading with Tampa I’d retain 50% but want the Nucks 2020 1st, 2021 conditional 2nd (becomes a 1st if Lightning win the Cup either year), Cal Foote (who hopefully can step in next year to start the backfill process) and would take back one of Gourde/Johnson to make the cap work for the Lightning and give them space to resign Cirelli. The hope Gourde/Johnson turn it around like Tatar and flip them in a couple of years too.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
If I was trading with Tampa I’d retain 50% but want the Nucks 2020 1st, 2021 conditional 2nd (becomes a 1st if Lightning win the Cup either year), Cal Foote (who hopefully can step in next year to start the backfill process) and would take back one of Gourde/Johnson to make the cap work for the Lightning and give them space to resign Cirelli. The hope Gourde/Johnson turn it around like Tatar and flip them in a couple of years too.

I don't retain 50% in that scenario. Maybe 15% at the most but its not too bad of a deal. I would retain 50% if they include Killorn instead of Gourde/Johnson.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
You can probably have Martinez, who has another year left on his deal, for a 2nd and a 4th/5th. If you're looking for a versatile bottom 6 fwd, Lewis is available as well.

Asking price on Martinez is apparently two second-round picks.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
According to Friedman Carolina isn't interested in paying futures for Martinez. They want to move someone like Dzingle or Fleury for him.

Give us Gauthier. It’s only fair, since Carolina drafted him with the pick we traded for Sekera, who was the straw that broke the camel’s back for LA.

DutchNYR

May 6, 2018
Thanks Dreger. Would be more newsworthy is they were looking for a top 4 Dman and the first rounder wasn't in play...

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Give us Gauthier. It’s only fair, since Carolina drafted him with the pick we traded for Sekera, who was the straw that broke the camel’s back for LA.

Gauthier is a big, right handed power forward who is finally hitting his stride and pacing 51 goals in the AHL this year (per 82 games). I'd rather keep him as he's cost controlled for 5 more years.

Kuokkanen could be available as he is more of what the Canes already have in Teravainen, Haula, Necas, Wallmark, Dzingle, etc.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Probably not a suitable trade partner but just for funs ...

Caro 1st

for Fabbri & nemeth

Or

Caro 1st & gardner , 2021 7th

for nemeth, green,svechnikov,hirose, 2021 3rd

Andrei is the canes star brother and i think he’d be more than thrilled with being reunited with his brother , he hasnt progressed thus far but he did miss an entire hockey season due to injury and has heated up lately in grand rapids .

Looking at gardner’s -28 hes by far got the highest - on the team and cant imagine the teams happy with him?Maybe they just decide to move on from him? Could be wrong just thinking carolina would be happy to move on from him

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Probably not a suitable trade partner but just for funs ...

Caro 1st

for Fabbri & nemeth

Or

Caro 1st & gardner , 2021 7th

for nemeth, green,svechnikov,hirose, 2021 3rd

Andrei is the canes star brother and i think he’d be more than thrilled with being reunited with his brother , he hasnt progressed thus far but he did miss an entire hockey season due to injury and has heated up lately in grand rapids .

Looking at gardner’s -28 hes by far got the highest - on the team and cant imagine the teams happy with him?Maybe they just decide to move on from him? Could be wrong just thinking carolina would be happy to move on from him

Fabbri + Nemeth are closer to the waiver wire than getting a mid 1st round pick in a trade (currently #15 overall). Detroit doesn't have the fit for to acquire one of the Canes 1sts. Athanasiou is too little and Mantha is too much.

Reactions: Cardiac Jerks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad