Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Interesting . I have a question., doesn't this mean he's essentially isn't being moved by wild?
No, it means that Pierre LeBrun, a guy with sources that probably don't include a direct feed into Bill Guerin's brain, has a hunch that they'll keep Brodin. If Guerin wanted to close the door on a trade completely he wouldn't be "listening" on these guys, he'd just say they're not available.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Is the leafs 1st round pick they acquired in the Marleau trade unprotected?

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I seriously don’t get this, at all. Keane was having an excellent year in Hartford.

Not all that mysterious. Keane has to fight through Lundkivst and Fox just to get a spot on the bottom pairing with the Rangers. The Rangers have been looking for a big, north/south scoring winger for months and months. Surplus for need.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Maybe a 2021 1st. Personally I wouldn't give up (currently) #15 or #19 in this draft for Montour straight up. Last year he was only worth a late 1st (#29) + B prospect coming off a great stretch with Anaheim. He's had a down year in Buffalo.

He could also be an issue to sign this summer as he’s arbitration eligible, then there’s the looming expansion draft and Hamilton’s extension. However, out of all the options of D out there with term, or in Montour’s case a year or so of team control left, I think Montour makes the most sense.

Not that I think Montour would guarantee a playoff spot, but I think his acquisition would give the Canes a much better shot at getting there as well as providing a some Hamilton insurance. I’d be willing to part with one of the 1sts this year for that.

But then again, I still want them to retain both 1sts. I wish they would have been willing to take on DeMelo for a 3rd, but oh well. We’ll see if they’re willing to spend on Vatanen as he’s a good fit too, albeit as a rental. I’ve pretty much resigned myself to the fact that it’s more likely than not they do end up trading a 1st prior to or on the deadline on a D with term.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Not all that mysterious. Keane has to fight through Lundkivst and Fox just to get a spot on the bottom pairing with the Rangers. The Rangers have been looking for a big, north/south scoring winger for months and months. Surplus for need.

Yeah this was a knee-jerk post out of initial confusion, like seconds after I found out about the trade. The more I looked into it, the more it made sense.

Reactions: Trxjw

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
He could also be an issue to sign this summer as he’s arbitration eligible, then there’s the looming expansion draft and Hamilton’s extension. However, out of all the options of D out there with term, or in Montour’s case a year or so of team control left, I think Montour makes the most sense.

Not that I think Montour would guarantee a playoff spot, but I think his acquisition would give the Canes a much better shot at getting there as well as providing a some Hamilton insurance. I’d be willing to part with one of the 1sts this year for that.

But then again, I still want them to retain both 1sts. I wish they would have been willing to take on DeMelo for a 3rd, but oh well. We’ll see if they’re willing to spend on Vatanen as he’s a good fit too, albeit as a rental. I’ve pretty much resigned myself to the fact that it’s more likely than not they do end up trading a 1st prior to or on the deadline on a D with term.

To Carolina - RD Brandon Montour
To Buffalo - RW Ondrej Kase
To Anaheim - RD Antoni Honka + RD Joey Keane

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Skjei says hi.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Given that the trade of the two AHLers didn't have any extras included, likely means that any deadline deals between the two clubs is not going to happen.

unfortunately, it is looking as if you might be right.
However, we are seeing increasingly since Namest.-JT Miller was a separate transaction to the McD deal, that they preferred to itemize.

My immediate point was and remains Skjei is a better option than Montour, esp since Monty is a little off this year compared to his prime.

Assuming Canes go max protection for the exp dr
7 + 3 + 1
as to the 3 Ds:
Pesce + Slavin are automatic no brainers
so is Hamilton IF he extends.

But worst case, you get strength/depth for now into next year.
Skjei has no special trade or move clauses to my knowledge
So you would expose him....
unless....
you get use out of him and then flip him elsewhere for like a 2nd.

But if no one is making available anyone good for cheap, it's either pay or takes yer chances.

While the Rangers can't/shouldn't be expected to give Skjei away for free, I believe the asking price here is reasonable -- and within reason, flexible.
Maybe instead of a 1st, it should be
return of NYR 2020 2nd + 2022 1st
for
Skjei + McKeown + 2022 2nd

NY should, however, recognize it needs to not only repurpose Skjei's cap but needs to give mins to emerging Ds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad