Dreger: Carolina looking for Top 4 Dman - 1st Rounder in play

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Skjei and Georgiev for Toronto's 1st, Gauthier and one of Bokk, Kuokkanen or Puistola

That’s a hell no

that's too much and while CAR could use Geo, he's not a primary fit they want to use trade capital for.

maybe
Skjei + 2020 3rd + Strome + rights to Lindbom*
for
Canes two 2020 1sts + McKeown + acceptable cap coming back

this ^ is one variation
others are also acceptable

*Lindy is a 2nd rnd G pick, 3o something OA, not even in the pipeline w/Shesty, Geo, Hulska, Wall. Likely does nothing for you now, but worth having to contend w/yer prospects sooner than later.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
that's too much and while CAR could use Geo, he's not a primary fit they want to use trade capital for.

maybe
for

this ^ is one variation

*Lindy is a 2nd rnd G pick, 3o something OA, not even in the pipeline w/Shesty, Geo, Hulska, Wall. Likely does nothing for you now, but worth having to contend w/yer prospects sooner than later.

A bigger HELL NO

Reactions: Svechhammer

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
We aren’t confident about making thigh playoffs at all. The metro is a blood bath. We could end up being a top 10 team in the league and still miss.

No way we give up an unprotected 1st

I'm certain I expected this reaction from fans on HF. This is a sensible take, so no issue with your reply.

But i'm not sure team managements always feel this way. In some cases, they just want to go for it, and are confident they'll make it. Maybe from Carolina's management standpoint, in a year where they feel pretty damn confident about making playoffs - the difference in value in trading an unprotected first, vs a protected first, wouldn't be that big, since they're certain they'll be in the playoffs anyways.

That's what i'd be hoping for.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
lol... that's an awesome take.
Basically 3 1sts for a top 4 D and a starting goalie?!?!?!
except your starting goalie isnt any better than our starting goalies and that is saying something.

A top 4 D that isnt a large enough improvement that we need. So there is that too.

If Skj was a RHD then it would be helpful but he isnt.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
fully concur
only thing I don't understand is why no willingness to bite on a guy like NY's Strome, who is expiring, but has RFA rights? Even if NY throws in small sweetener, is he not worth a 2nd?
He would not solve all yr problems, and there is no guarantee he performs as well down there as he has up here w/Panarin. However, chemistry is a very fragile and surprising thing, not easy to predict.

At right price, reward = risk.
combo deal w/Skjei

maybe
for

this ^ is one variation

Brind'Amour will rely on Jordan Staal as his go-to center until the end of time. Similar to how he played Justin Faulk on the #1PP over Dougie Hamilton for the entirety of the 2018-19 season. Strome will be in line for a big payday which I wouldn't want to be on the hook for.

I'd be ok with the worse of CAR/TOR 1st + McKeown for Skjei.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'm certain I expected this reaction from fans on HF. This is a sensible take, so no issue with your reply.

But i'm not sure team managements always feel this way. In some cases, they just want to go for it, and are confident they'll make it. Maybe from Carolina's management standpoint, in a year where they feel pretty damn confident about making playoffs - the difference in value in trading an unprotected first, vs a protected first, wouldn't be that big, since they're certain they'll be in the playoffs anyways.

That's what i'd be hoping for.
Of course that’s what you’d hope for, but it’s the same reason why teams rarely trade unprotected firsts unless they are a shoe in. Even the Pens, who are a shoe in put some protection on the pick that went to the Wild.

I bet SJS is loving that they traded an unprotected 1st

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois

maybe
for
this ^ is one variation

*Lindy is a 2nd rnd G pick, 3o
something OA, not even in the pipeline w/Shesty, Geo, Hulska, Wall. Likely does nothing for you now, but worth having to contend
w/yer prospects sooner than later.

It's funny you tell someone that's too much then counter with two first round picks going back.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Canes aren’t likely to give up both 1sts in a strong draft, particularly when the Canes may not even make the playoffs
fair enuf we can cut this back to (basically) one 1st for (basically) Skjei

Brind'Amour will rely on Jordan Staal as his go-to center until the end of time. Similar to how he played Justin Faulk on the #1PP over Dougie Hamilton for the entirety of the 2018-19 season. Strome will be in line for a big payday which I wouldn't want to be on the hook for.

works for me

It's funny you tell someone that's too much then counter with two first round picks going back.
Mr. Disingenuous....
That post someone attempted to extort top $ for both Skjei + Geo, basically.

Mine was basically a 1st for Skjei
+ adds
to upgrade Strome [valued at 2nd to 2nd+]
for another presumably late 1st

not the same.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island

Skjei is a top 4 LD signed for 4 more seasons at 5.25 per. Considering the rental market a middle-late first and a good F prospect seems like a reasonable price.

McKeown does nothing for our team/system. Replace him with a good F prospect and it's a deal. Drury, Bokk, Kuokkanen, or Gauthier are all reasonable targets. I wouldn't bother asking for Suzuki or Puistola since those are your top forward prospects.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens

Fair offer but I'm not sure if we need McKeown. Would rather a solid forward prospect or just the better of the two 1sts straight up for Skjei.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Assuming that's Carolina's 1st that's a decent haul for Ristolainen. I may be higher on Kuokkanen than many Sabres fans, but I probably do that deal.

So the deal was Martinook / Kuokks and 1st.

Is there any interest in Neiderreiter instead of Kuokks?

Or maybe Kuokks + Nino + 3rd for Risto?

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
So the deal was Martinook / Kuokks and 1st.

Is there any interest in Neiderreiter instead of Kuokks?

Or maybe Kuokks + Nino + 3rd for Risto?
No not at all. That takes a lot of value out of the package. Neiderreiter would be an ok reclamation project, but the Sabres need help up the middle. A 1st could provide another center prospect in the system or be used as a piece to trade for a middle 6 center. Although Kuokkanen has been playing wing (I believe) I think he can be a Center at the NHL level and he looks nhl ready.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad