Dreger: Carolina looking for Top 4 Dman - 1st Rounder in play

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Because of the bonus structure and the likelihood of the Wings immediately achieving those bonuses and then in fact it did play out that he had to pay 28 million in the first three/four months of the contract. Even these rich owners don't like moving around and liquidating cash like that necessarily at all times. It had a 2 million base in the years with a 14 million signing bonus, but the remaining 12 million on the 38 million would be paid in one lump sum if Fedorov's team ever reached the Conference Finals or after the first year it would be paid in 3 million dollar installments over four years if I remember right. It was very much targeting the Wings and most owners felt it is what really escalated player salaries. While Ilitch and Karmanos didn't like each other, their feud seriously angered Jacobs and other powerful owners that felt like they got hit in the cross fire, if I remember right that was where they came in and started prohibiting some of the conditions that could be handed out.

I can't provide a source for how I know this, so take it with a grain of salt, but in 1997-98, I believe, Paul Kariya was targeted with an RFA contract that included massive bonuses for "Points scored in the state of California."

I have no idea what the exact numbers were, but if he were to record something like twenty points in the State of California, he would receive massive cash bonuses.

For the team offering him the contract, the numbers were not achievable (there would be just road visits to Anaheim, Los Angeles and San Jose) but should the Mighty Ducks match the contract, he would play 41 games in Anaheim, plus multiple road visits to Los Angeles and San Jose.

The league rejected the proposed bonus structure but it goes to show that at that time, people were looking for ways to use bonuses to handcuff teams with RFAs.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I made a thread a while back asking if any team would be willing to give an unprotected first - outside of the surefire playoff teams (such as Boston, Wash). Carolina fits perfectly with what i was aiming for.

I would totally move Petry for an unprotected 1st +.

From Carolina's perspective - i'm sure they feel super confident about making playoffs, so losing a first, protected or not, wouldn't make a huge difference
From our perspective we get to actively root for you to suck, barely miss out, and hope to get an extra kick at Lafreniere.

Reactions: larrypacman8167

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
I think it was Russo who said that the Canes specifically did not have an interest in Dumba. He doesn't really fit their top-4.

Canes like to pick up guys playing above their value contracts. Dumba is on the opposite end.

I'd move Necas for the right D but that D would have to be a lot better fit than anything Minnesota has to offer.

I'm interested in who you would have in mind for Necas....quick thought I cant think of one.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I'm interested in who you would have in mind for Necas....quick thought I cant think of one.

Hampus Linholm maybe? I agree there aren't many options that are potentially available and also worth giving up a Rookie 50 point winger for. The expansion draft adds another layer of complexity, especially if the Canes want to give Jake Bean NHL time.

Reactions: Moosetache

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I made a thread a while back asking if any team would be willing to give an unprotected first - outside of the surefire playoff teams (such as Boston, Wash). Carolina fits perfectly with what i was aiming for.

I would totally move Petry for an unprotected 1st +.

From Carolina's perspective - i'm sure they feel super confident about making playoffs, so losing a first, protected or not, wouldn't make a huge difference
From our perspective we get to actively root for you to suck, barely miss out, and hope to get an extra kick at Lafreniere.

We aren’t confident about making thigh playoffs at all. The metro is a blood bath. We could end up being a top 10 team in the league and still miss.

No way we give up an unprotected 1st

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
I'd give your Tyson Barrie for the 1st right now , regardless if the leafs are in the play offs .

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Buffalo gives:

- Ristolainen

Carolina gives:

- Martinook ( cap reasons )
- Kuokkanen
- 1st

A Slavin-Risto pairing could be very good. While Risto isnt the best defending D, he has plenty of help from Carolinas forwards. He adds grit and scoring threat for the playoffs. Buffalo get a promising prospect in Kuokkanen who is playing very well in AHL, but wont get a roster-spot up, because Carolina has plenty of forwards. 1st is good for rebuild. Martinook is a dump

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad