Dreger: Carolina looking for Top 4 Dman - 1st Rounder in play

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
It’s not that I anticipate it happening, but this is the second time we’ve heard about a Minnesota defenseman to Carolina now, and if Dumba goes, Necas would be the only return Minnesota would be interested in outside of the obvious other options.

Oh, I understand.

I have learned that I can't predict the Canes front office since Dundon took over, but I'll be downright floored if the Canes trade Necas, regardless if that's what other teams' want. If that's a sticking point, I would guess a deal doesn't happen.

Of course, like I said, I can't predict this front office.

Reactions: Tryamw

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I just don’t see them moving any core roster pieces when they have so much ammunition in the form of futures. Just doesn’t make sense.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Oh, I understand.

I have learned that I can't predict the Canes front office since Dundon took over, but I'll be downright floored if the Canes trade Necas, regardless if that's what other teams' want. If that's a sticking point, I would guess a deal doesn't happen.

Yes you can. They're not very hard to read. Necas is a more important part of the team's future (long-term C below or even above Aho in the lineup) than that defenseman would be. This is about leveraging picks and/or prospects into a guy that can strengthen the roster short-term. Dumba doesn't make sense because he has that much term, but it would be malpractice not to do the due diligence on him.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Oh, I understand.

I’d actually be shocked to learn that Dumba for Necas hasn’t been talked about yet.

I would bet Canes asked about Dumba, Guerin included Necas in the ask, Canes said no, asked if there was anything else, Guerin said Aho and both GMs had a little chuckle and then Guerin said, but actually no there’s nothing else, and that was the end of it.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I’d think CAR sniffed around Dumba for a few reasons:

-he’s having a down year
-he’s on a reasonable contract
-he’s a top 4 RD
-Dougie Hamilton insurance

Now, they probably wanted to see if they could buy low and were told, yeah, no on that. Might be something to re-visit in the summer if the Hamilton negotiations don’t go well. Even then, Necas is still a no go.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Yes you can. They're not very hard to read. Necas is a more important part of the team's future (long-term C below or even above Aho in the lineup) than that defenseman would be. This is about leveraging picks and/or prospects into a guy that can strengthen the roster short-term. Dumba doesn't make sense because he has that much term, but it would be malpractice not to do the due diligence on him.

Yeah, I get that and agree with you BDC and agree with you on Necas 100%. Just some of the moves they've made over the past couple of years seem "odd"on the surface, but so far, have ended up working out fine.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
The problem is, Canes "fans" don't want to give up a first. MTL, rightfully so, would want a first plus for Petry as he's underrated and a fantastic defenseman. I'd love to have him on Carolina. It makes an agreement on a trade difficult.

Habs need high quality with high ceiling D prospects close to the NHL. Among other things.

What is the story with Jake Bean and Hayden Fleury ? I was checking out Bean some time ago and Canes fans did not seem high on the guy, and it looks like Montreal might have just as good a Fleury brother, but I dont know. Please enlighten.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I’d actually be shocked to learn that Dumba for Necas hasn’t been talked about yet.

I would bet Canes asked about Dumba, Guerin included Necas in the ask, Canes said no, asked if there was anything else, Guerin said Aho and both GMs had a little chuckle and then Guerin said, but actually no there’s nothing else, and that was the end of it.

I would think Guerin is smart enough to not even do that, even in jest.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Habs need high quality with high ceiling D prospects close to the NHL. Among other things.

What is the story with Jake Bean and Hayden Fleury ? I was checking out Bean some time ago and Canes fans did not seem high on the guy, and it looks like Montreal might have just as good a Fleury brother, but I dont know. Please enlighten.

Fleury, IMO, is a fine depth defenseman, but he struggles offensively and struggles to transition defense to offense. In this day's NHL, that's not very valuable so I won't try to sell you on him.

Bean, I think has some real potential to be an impact player in the NHL. He's gotten better each year and is more suited to today's NHL game. I can see him being a PP QB and a 4/5 defenseman ES in the NHL, which has value. I don't see him being better than 2nd pairing though, which is fine, as most D aren't.

My view is that I think Fleury would be more available, but has less value league wide.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013

Brind’Amour doesn’t really like to play inexperienced D unless he has to. Fleury is finally getting more than 10mins a night now because RBA basically has to play him that much or he gasses his 5 vets. Fleury is getting better though.

I personally think the Canes expect Bean to man their 3rd pair next year and wouldn’t be surprised to see Fleury moved this off-season. Bean is ready, there’s just no room at the inn at the moment and basically every game from here on out is a “playoff” game so it’s not like RBA would play Bean anyway were he called up.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Fleury, IMO, is a fine depth defenseman, but he struggles offensively and struggles to transition defense to offense. In this day's NHL, that's not very valuable so I won't try to sell you on him.

Bean, I think has some real potential to be an impact player in the NHL. He's gotten better each year and is more suited to today's NHL game. I can see him being a PP QB and a 4/5 defenseman ES in the NHL, which has value. I don't see him being better than 2nd pairing though, which is fine, as most D aren't.

My view is that I think Fleury would be more available, but has less value league wide.

Well could be fun to have the Fleury brothers together. not so much for the announcers.

Thanks for the insight on Bean.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Maybe I'm wrong, but I would think Dundon/Waddell won't even answer the phone right now if it has a MTL area code.
Why not, they got their young star for cheaper than original forecasted by management.

It's not personal, strictly business

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
I don't really see the Canes doing anything. Team is the youngest in the league, not ready to compete and should be holding on to all their assets.

They can sign what they need over the summer without giving up anything...

Reactions: newsportsfan123

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Why not, they got their young star for cheaper than original forecasted by management.

It's not personal, strictly business

Yeah, I get that, but these guys have egos.

Rutherford/Karmanos and Mitch Illich wouldn't have any discussions for years due to bad blood even though fans said "it's strictly business". They hated each other and wouldn't even entertain a deal between teams.

Not saying that's the way it will be here, but won't be surprised if the don't talk either.

Reactions: Goal Caufield

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->