Dreger: Carolina looking for Top 4 Dman - 1st Rounder in play

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
I don't really see the Canes doing anything. Team is the youngest in the league, not ready to compete and should be holding on to all their assets.

They can sign what they need over the summer without giving up anything...
They're one legitimate starting goalie away from going toe to toe with any team in the league.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yeah, I get that, but these guys have egos.

Rutherford/Karmanos and Mitch Illich wouldn't have any discussions for years due to bad blood even though fans said "it's strictly business". They hated each other and wouldn't even entertain a deal between teams.

Not saying that's the way it will be here, but won't be surprised if the don't talk either.

It dates back to junior hockey days in terms of Ilitch and Karmanos along with a lot of downtown Detroit real estate deals. The rest of the world got a feel for it with the poison pill contract with Fedorov, but they have hated each other for years.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
It dates back to junior hockey days in terms of Ilitch and Karmanos along with a lot of downtown Detroit real estate deals. The rest of the world got a feel for it with the poison pill contract with Fedorov, but they have hated each other for years.

Yep, I grew up in Michigan so understand the bad blood. My point was that fans view hockey transactions as "just business", but these owners and GMs have other agendas that prevent it from being "just business".

Reactions: Tryamw

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I thought the same thing before he came to Chicago, but he can skate. Serviceable #4D. Not a rental, wouldn't cost a 1st.

Fair enough. I just think the Canes want guys with more offensive chops, but maybe that's the problem with the Canes. Not sure how I feel about Maata, but you have better insights on him than I do.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I'm not buying that Dundon will be that rigid ultimately. Yes, he traded Skinner and Faulk in lieu of renting them. However, he did keep Ferland instead of dealing at the 19 deadline and traded for 1 year of Haula in the Summer. There isn't much out there among the retooling/rebuilding clubs. Petry is not happening. No one has reported that Manson is available. Brodin and Dumba are basically unavailable. The Rangers trading Skjei would be a red flag. The Ristolainen talk has quieted. What does that leave them with, circle back on Alec Martinez (not for a 1st obviously)?

A deadline day deal for Vatanen or DeMelo is still a possibility, imo.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014

Why was it called the poison pill? Detroit had $$ and there was no cap.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Olli Maatta or Connor Murphy is your guy
Only way I'd trade Murphy would be for a 1st + Rees. In other words, not happening. He's our best defender. We'd be really screwed without him.

Maatta on the other hand we could deal for fair value.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Why was it called the poison pill? Detroit had $$ and there was no cap.

Because of the bonus structure and the likelihood of the Wings immediately achieving those bonuses and then in fact it did play out that he had to pay 28 million in the first three/four months of the contract. Even these rich owners don't like moving around and liquidating cash like that necessarily at all times. It had a 2 million base in the years with a 14 million signing bonus, but the remaining 12 million on the 38 million would be paid in one lump sum if Fedorov's team ever reached the Conference Finals or after the first year it would be paid in 3 million dollar installments over four years if I remember right. It was very much targeting the Wings and most owners felt it is what really escalated player salaries. While Ilitch and Karmanos didn't like each other, their feud seriously angered Jacobs and other powerful owners that felt like they got hit in the cross fire, if I remember right that was where they came in and started prohibiting some of the conditions that could be handed out.

In any event, that is kind of off-topic. But totally agree with the earlier post that is it is easy to forget these guys all know each other a little better than you think. A lot of people do forget how small the hockey world is at the NHL level at times.

The Wings have no D-man that will interest Carolina. Daley wants out, but you don't want him for sure...:laugh:

liv4socr20

Jul 18, 2009
Lundqvist(50% retained) + Skjei + Pick if needed

for

Mrazek/Reimer (for cap purposes) take your pick. + 1st(lower of 2 picks) + NYR 2nd + Gauthier

gives NYR cap relief, and high quality assets in the upcoming draft and a near ready nhl forward

car a goalie upgrade and top 4 D with term.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Lundqvist(50% retained) + Skjei + Pick if needed

for

Mrazek/Reimer (for cap purposes) take your pick. + 1st(lower of 2 picks) + NYR 2nd + Gauthier

gives NYR cap relief, and high quality assets in the upcoming draft and a near ready nhl forward

car a goalie upgrade and top 4 D with term.

Um, no

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad