Dreger: Carolina looking for Top 4 Dman - 1st Rounder in play

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Faulk has struggled to find his role in St. Louis. He is clearly better player than he has looked at times this year. What would Canes offer to get him back?
Seriously? Faulk turned down the Canes offer, which we can all presume was less than what you’re paying. There’s no way in hell they’re going to give up assets to get him back. I’m not even mad.....I’m actually impressed!

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Skej is the best fit I’m seeing right now. Think there’s there’s a lot of pieces that could be moved between the Canes and Rangers as they are at different stages right now. Not bernmeister level of moving pieces but I could see a bigger trade happening

So you like Skej better than Hamilton? Because with Skej's contract, we are not fitting Hamilton into the contract structure after next year.

He's in no way the best fit for the Canes.

Reactions: Tryamw

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I read this thread and I wonder what Priskie was thinking when he signed there? Injuries don't get him called up, poor play by TVR doesn't get him a call up.

If he had signed in D.C. he would be playing there by now or at least given a shot just as Fehrevery has been given.

He will be 24 years old in a month. Sometimes players (and their agents) really do overthink things.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
So you like Skej better than Hamilton? Because with Skej's contract, we are not fitting Hamilton into the contract structure after next year.

After next year (2021-22 season) the Canes have ~$40 million in Cap spent on 8 mostly core players with at least $40 million in Cap space to sign Svechnikov, Hamilton, two goalies, two bottom-pair D, and a bottom-6. Many of those roles will be filled with prospects on ELCs. They have plenty of room to sure up their top-4.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

No of course not but if the value is there in a deal then the GMBC will look at it. Maybe Gardiner gets moved out in the deal or sent somewhere else. Maybe getting Skej will give the Canes a bit more leverage in terms of negotiating with Hamilton.

Yes, money needs to be put aside to give raises to Svech and Necas as well when the time comes but there’s also a ton of cap space opening up over the next few years.

2020 UFA
Haula
Edmundson
TVR
Williams
Marleau cap hit
Faulk retention

2021 UFA
Dzingel
Mrazek
Reimer
Semin buyout

Reactions: bernmeister

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
No of course not but if the value is there in a deal then the GMBC will look at it. Maybe Gardiner gets moved out in the deal or sent somewhere else. Maybe getting Skej will give the Canes a bit more leverage in terms of negotiating with Hamilton.

Yes, money needs to be put aside to give raises to Svech and Necas as well when the time comes but there’s also a ton of cap space opening up over the next few years.

2020 UFA
Haula
Edmundson
TVR
Williams
Marleau cap hit
Faulk retention

2021 UFA
Dzingel
Mrazek
Reimer
Semin buyout
Money also needs to be spent on a couple of goalies. Even if you think Ned takes one cheaply, I'm hoping we go out and get I guy worth $6M or so. Where does he fit?

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Canes should look at Dillion or Demelo. Both UFAs...figure things out in the offseason.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I read this thread and I wonder what Priskie was thinking when he signed there? Injuries don't get him called up, poor play by TVR doesn't get him a call up.

If he had signed in D.C. he would be playing there by now or at least given a shot just as Fehrevery has been given.

He will be 24 years old in a month. Sometimes players (and their agents) really do overthink things.

Chance To Develop Fueled Chase Priskie's Choice - Charlotte Checkers Hockey - gocheckers.com

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
A

An embarrassment of riches I know. Two top 4D and 4 bottom pairing guys.
I wouldn't even say its that bad.

Slavin and Pesce are both good players, and would be 1st pair guys on most teams. Gardiner, as much as he struggled earlier in the year, has settled into a solid 2nd pair player. He's not as bad as he was, and I would expect him to be solid next year and beyond. Fleury has taken a step forward since Hamilton went down and absolutely should be getting 2nd line minutes by now. Our problem is that guys like TVR and Edmundson either aren't good fits for what we are trying to do, or just aren't the players they were expected to be. They've been struggling badly this season.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Money also needs to be spent on a couple of goalies. Even if you think Ned takes one cheaply, I'm hoping we go out and get I guy worth $6M or so. Where does he fit?

For sure but as you can see there’s lots of cap space opening up to go around. We know this head office doesn’t sit on their hands so they’ll make more moves if needed to fit everyone in. Agreed that they need to figure out the goalie situation going forward though.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

He's 24 how much more does he need to develop? Guys like Fox and Marino developed in college (and are younger) and are thriving without time in the minors.

Good on him I guess for recognizing he wasn't ready for the NHL yet. And good luck making the team next season with Slavin, Pesce, Hamilton, Gardiner, Fleury, Bean and probably Forsling ahead of you, not to mention if they do trade for a D-man with term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad